Hotel information needed for Anchorage and Seward

magicsoccer

Late May 2022 we will be  needing a 1 night hotel in Anchorage before our train trip to Seward.  We will then need a 1 night hotel in Seward before our cruise the next morning.  I have booked the Comfort Inn Downtown Ship Creek in Anchorage.  Is this a good hotel?  Any better ideas for Anchorage? Any recommendations for Seward?  I would prefer easy access to the cruise port if possible.  Thank you for any help.  

1 hour ago, magicsoccer said:

Comfort Inn Downtown Ship Creek in Anchorage.  Is this a good hotel?  Any better ideas for Anchorage?  

Comfort Inn is a decent choice. But it's next to rail yard and the port. So there can  be a lot noise from that. We usually stay at the Clarion Suites on 8th Avenue. It's also down town. The Captain Cook is a great option if the budget allows it (mine never does...). We've also stayed at the Anchorage Grand in the past.

The Comfort Inn Downtown Ship Creek is the hotel closest to the rail depot. The Anchorage Grand is close too, if you are walking to the rail depot. The next closest is the Anchorage Hilto

And if the 360 doesn’t fall into your budget, their sister property is the gateway hotel where I have a booking soon.....saving my monies for the ship! 

We we fly into Anchorage on a Wednesday and leave out of Seward on Friday.....we knew we wouldn’t need anything special in Anchorage as we would be going to sleep right away (except maybe food) and taking the train the next morning, so we booked a cheaper nice looking hotel by the airport/float plane airport on the lake......saved some money and will have some nice views! 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

If you have a boat tour run by Kenai Fjord Tours, Breeze Inn is just across the street from where your tour departs.

We stayed at Breeze Inn in 2018 for 1 night and were very pleased. They provided a shuttle to the cruise terminal, which was very convenient. Good location and nice view of the harbor.

• Like 1

This past summer, we stayed at both the Hotel Captain Cook and Comfort Inn Ship Creek.  While Comfort Inn is nothing special, I much preferred staying there with regards to train travel.  We didn’t have a rental car so it was nice to stay so close at Comfort Inn. If you didn’t want to walk to/from the train depot, the was a hotel shuttle.

Hotel Captain Cook did not have a free shuttle to the train which was a major disappointment for us.  Walking to the hotel after arrival was challenging with luggage as it was uphill and there were poorly maintained (if any) sidewalks.  Had tried to get a taxi and/or Uber, but so were the other hundreds of fellow travelers.

Once at the Cook, we loved the location and hotel but if I was only in town one night before taking an early morning train, I would stay at the Comfort Inn.

On 11/2/2021 at 11:55 AM, magicsoccer said:

Late May 2022 we will be  needing a 1 night hotel in Anchorage before our train trip to Seward.  We will then need a 1 night hotel in Seward before our cruise the next morning.  I have booked the Comfort Inn Downtown Ship Creek in Anchorage.  Is this a good hotel?  Any better ideas for Anchorage? Any recommendations for Seward?  I would prefer easy access to the cruise port if possible.  Thank you for any help.  

Hotel Seward is a great little option. 

I have stayed there 3 - 4 times in the last several years. 

It is small and well run.  Very hospitable management. 

Lots of room options. - for all budgets. 

An old hotel.  

It gives you a feel of living in Alaska in the old days. 

A nice restaurant in the hotel too. 

Harbor 360 Hotel is another good option. 

My husband and adult daughter stayed here in early 2021. 

It is pet friendly. 

They had good things to report on their stay. 

Happy Cruising! 

• Like 1