Multiple testing strategy....

NavyCruiser

If I am understanding it right, you get tested and have results back within 72 hours before your first flight out of the US --is that right? We are scheduled to fly from DFW on Dec. 2 and arrive in Zurich on

Dec. 3. American Airlines will accept the rapid test, but what about Switzerland and AMA? Is there a "rapid PCR" test that is accepted by all three, or should it be the regular PCR test that takes from 3-5 days or 1-3 days depending on where you look? I have researched and the info is so confusing as to which test to get! If anyone can clarify this for me, I would really appreciate it. Also, do you know if Medicare covers the COVID travel test?

@jrcooperWhen we sailed with AMA in August we got tested before we left to insure we were not asymptomatic. I don't believe AMA required a test, just proof of vaccination. Things may have changed so you should check their website or contact them directly. Good luck

Paul

On 11/17/2021 at 7:27 AM, NavyCruiser said:

Checked onboard our Viking river cruise ship in Amsterdam 2 days ago.  

After showing our vaccine cards, & getting ready to pull out our 5 negative covid tests to show,  they didn't even want to see it...

Did you need to show those tests at any of the airports you used to get to the Netherlands?

I feel multiple tests are the way to go.  We returned this past Wednesday  from Viking Paris to the Swiss Alps.  We took a test on Monday 11.1 and again Wednesday 11.3 prior to our flights to Paris.  The first test took care of requirements for the airlines and the 2nd would take care of Vikings requirements as we went in early on our own.  We were never asked by Viking to see any results upon hotel check-in in Paris.

Another good reason for multiple tests, IMHO, we decided to be tested on our return home and went to our local university for free testing yesterday.  This morning I received a ‘Rejected’ notice, it seems my test leaked in transit thus the ‘rejected’ - my husband tested negative.  Just thinking back, what a wrench in the works this could have thrown us had it been on departure.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 11:03 AM, jrcooper said:

If I am understanding it right, you get tested and have results back within 72 hours before your first flight out of the US --is that right? We are scheduled to fly from DFW on Dec. 2 and arrive in Zurich on

Dec. 3. American Airlines will accept the rapid test, but what about Switzerland and AMA? Is there a "rapid PCR" test that is accepted by all three, or should it be the regular PCR test that takes from 3-5 days or 1-3 days depending on where you look? I have researched and the info is so confusing as to which test to get! If anyone can clarify this for me, I would really appreciate it. Also, do you know if Medicare covers the COVID travel test?

Hi, AMA's website under  "travel entry requirements" last updated 11/19/2021 specifies what is required to enter. AMA shows it two ways -by itinerary and by country.

Currently 11/19/2021 neither AMA nor Switzerland, nor Amsterdam require a covid test. Once upon a time tests were required. This may very well change. I go with AMA on 12/20 and am following this closely. 

What AMA does require is that you be fully vaccinated. You need to upload a copy of your card in connection with their "check in" requirement. This is spelled out in your cruise documents.

The US does require a covid test to fly back into the US -  PCR or Antigen currently. AMA's website says that they will facilitate the test you need. If you are staying extra days and not on the AMA post, you might have to get this on your own to get back into the US.

Whether or not Medicare pays for the test for travel is a ?, however, as of 11/19, you don't need it for the countries you outlined in your question..

I hope that this information is helpful. I do not work for AMA, but am n the travel industry.

• Like 1