Testing Positive During Cruise

cruisegeek1974

Hi there, I searched on NCL's site and scanned the recent topics on the board and couldn't find anything.

What does NCL do if you become covid positive during the cruise?  Let's say you are doing a covid test for your flight home and you test positive and therefore need to quarantine in a hotel before you can fly home.  Does NCL cover these expenses?  I see on some other cruise lines that they explicitly state that they will pay for any quarantine costs post-cruise, with Celebrity even saying they will fly you home on private transportation if needed.

I did see that NCL says if you test positive PRIOR to the cruise at the pier then they will help with quarantine costs, but I could not find anything on if they will cover expenses if you test positive once the cruise has started.  I'm not so concerned with medical costs as travel insurance would cover covid specific expenses, but currently with the travel advisories in Canada, travel insurance will not cover any sort of trip interruption costs (hotel, meals, etc).

Thanks for any info on this.

In addition to reviewing Norwegians Sail Safe Policy
https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe#t4m1

and selected postings
https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe#faq2-1-answer

You might want to call NCL and get the answer directly from them.

Thorough & Effective Mobilization Plan in Event of Outbreak MOBILIZATION & RESPONSE

Contact Tracing

If a positive case of COVID-19 occurs, we have various contact tracing methodologies to identify and notify those who may have been exposed.

Isolation/Quarantine

Dedicated isolation and quarantine accommodations will be available if needed.

Debarkation Scenarios

We have developed a thorough mobilization and response plan focused on collaborating with local authorities and coordinating safe passage home for all guests and crew should the need arise. We have also established relationships with onshore medical institutions and enhanced our telemedicine consultation capabilities.

4 hours ago, cruisegeek1974 said:

Canada, travel insurance will not cover any sort of trip interruption costs (hotel, meals, etc).

A quick search and I found a Canadian travel Insurance policy that provides trip interruption coverage if you are required to isolate or quarantine due to COVID. I don't think I can mention names on CC.

Different companies provide different coverage and add-ons.

FWIW, from what I've read, most policies do not cover trip interruption if you are quarantined as a result of close contact  because this a "foreseeable event". You are only covered under the medical provisions if you are diagnosed with COVID during the trip.  However, there are policies that either include trip interruption or you can purchase it as an add on.

I don't see anything in NCL's Essential Plan that covers such trip interruption.  It's a $35 bare bones policy. If you're concerned with trip interruption, buy a more comprehensive policy.

@HuliHuli post contains some excellent links. As many have said here, it is important to read and re read this information,  as well as, test before you leave for your cruise. 

@cruisegeek1974 I find it interesting that, as you mentioned,  the Canadian Government’s current advisories are the reason trip interruption coverage is not offered.  It assume this is why  you posted your questions here. I would be, and I guess you are weary of a company that claims to offer it.  Is there a timeline for changes to the advisory? 

More discussion can be found on the Canadian forum. Here is a link incase haven’t already visit the forum. A hot topic indeed. Good luck! 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2510-canadian-cruisers/

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

You can't name travel agencies or agents on Cruise Critic. Trip insurance policies are discussed by name all the time.

Thanks.

I found ManuLife COVID 19 Pandemic Travel Insurance for Canadians.

I also ran across Desjardin's policy and they vary coverage depending on the Canadian government's COVID travel advisory level of the destination counry.  There is zero coverage for destinations that Canada classifies as "Level 4 Avoid All Travel." Perhaps that's what the OP is referring to when they refer to "no coverage." Best to shop around, read the policies carefully and ask lots of question.

https://www.coverme.com/travel-insurance/travelling-canadians/covid-19-pandemic-travel-plan.html?province=ON&agecode=0

The COVID-19 Pandemic Travel Insurance plan covers COVID-19 related emergency medical expenses, non COVID-19 related emergency medical benefits, and trip interruption coverage in the event you need to self-isolate or quarantine during your trip.