Groups on board?

vic from vic

Is there a way to find out if the ship you are on has any groups on it? I've heard about people going on the cruise only to find out that the majority of others are with a particular group - for example a Richard Simmons cruise! :eek: I'm okay with that (I can overeat in front of others! lol), I just wondered if there was a way to check for groups.

There used to be a website called GroupsAhoy that was really good at listing all the groups, but it has been out of commission for about a year. The website says it is coming back, but does not say when.

I really miss this information. Not only to avoid groups but to see on which cruises I might want to go on...like a karaoke cruise!!!!

Not that I know of either. I usually check all the major cruise boards to see if they have a group cruise planned. There are so many people who plan groups, mahjong players, bingo players, sales groups, gay groups, Harley groups, it's hard to know where to look to find them. We pretty much get to be surprised. ;)

You can try to use google or another internet search engine. Just type in your ship name, the word group, and the date and see what you find. Just keep in mind that you may have to type in the date a few different ways (example - January 1, 2006, 1/1/06, 1/1/2006). I think that a lot (although not all) groups are advertised or have a group website set up somewhere online.

We have been on a few cruises that had unknown (to us) groups...we had Richard Simmons, (LOTS of) Cuban debutants, almost the entire ship of Southern Baptists, sales meeting for a REMAX, and assorted medical conventions, to name a few.

The last week in October we had a huge group of Panamanians on the Valor. Seems they sail this week every year. I've crossed it off my calendar as every taking a cruise that week again since they took over everything they attended and butted into EVERY line!:(

The last week in October we had a huge group of Panamanians on the Valor. Seems they sail this week every year. I've crossed it off my calendar as every taking a cruise that week again since they took over everything they attended and butted into EVERY line!:(

LOL I agree with you 100%. Not the best group to cruise with.

You can try to use google or another internet search engine. Just type in your ship name, the word group, and the date and see what you find. Just keep in mind that you may have to type in the date a few different ways (example - January 1, 2006, 1/1/06, 1/1/2006). I think that a lot (although not all) groups are advertised or have a group website set up somewhere online.

I started to do this, but wow, I could spend from now til cruise time trying to figure it out.

I've tried a Roll Call a couple of time, but not getting much response - which is what makes me think there's a group on board. :confused:

Sounds like there's a mixed opinion of groups being on your cruise. Anyone else have any stories that are going to make me cringe or to relieve me?

Well, I just found out recently that my cruise is going to have a group on it. I wasn't too pleased at first, but the Roll Call board helped to relieve some of my fears. I guess you could be surprised at any time on any cruise to find out a group will be there. It's probably in the cruise line's best interests to keep the groups hidden from the public. I might have changed my dates if I'd known in advance. I'm glad I didn't. That's probably the consensus. Most people probably are upset at first, then realize it's not that big of a deal after all. Everyone is going on the cruise to have a good time.

I've tried a Roll Call a couple of time, but not getting much response - which is what makes me think there's a group on board. :confused:

I don't think you can tell from this at all. I have been on 2 cruises and gotten no responses to my first Roll Call and few to my second. I didn't notice any *large* groups on either cruise (I am sure there are small groups on all cruises). There was a small group of clowns on one cruise, which was actually pretty cool.:D

Archived