Oberammergau with River Cruise

Capemayjay

I’m pretty sure this isn’t the best place to ask. Maybe here, although it’s not horribly active. 

Just to be clear, Oberammergau, a lovely place to visit, is in the foothills of the German Alps. There are no navigable rivers within hours, even in an appropriate German car at Autobahn speeds. I’ve always wanted to go to the Passion Play, but I’d fly into Munich and drive down. Of course, with no plans, I’d probably be staying in Munich at this point. I’m looking at cruises that include Oberammergau, and just don’t see it. The Danube is well north of Munich and the Rhine is hours to the west. But the cruise lines probably have tickets and hotels!

On 11/9/2021 at 5:07 AM, markeb said:

The Danube is well north of Munich and the Rhine is hours to the west. But the cruise lines probably have tickets and hotels!

I was curious about the geography too - looking at the Avalon Oberammergau cruise, it’s a 7-day Danube cruise up from Budapest with a four day land tour (Innsbruck, Oberammergau, Munich) tagged on the end. 

9 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

I was curious about the geography too - looking at the Avalon Oberammergau cruise, it’s a 7-day Danube cruise up from Budapest with a four day land tour (Innsbruck, Oberammergau, Munich) tagged on the end. 

Looked at the itinerary, and the Innsbruck, Oberammergau, Munich piece would drive me insane!  But, admittedly I’ve lived in Bavaria and absolutely love it. It sounds like arriving in Southampton and getting onto a bus for the Cotswolds, while missing Stratford-upon-Avon, and bussing back to Heathrow. And they’re driving right past the Zugspitze  with no mention. Or Neuschwanstein. Let me off in Passau and let me have a rental car for a few days!  Although I’d take the hotel and tickets In Oberammergau. 

52 minutes ago, markeb said:

. Or Neuschwanstein.

That is included on the transfer day from Deggendorf to Innsbruck. 

52 minutes ago, markeb said:

getting onto a bus for the Cotswolds, while missing Stratford-upon-Avon,

Nothing wrong with that 🤣

OP, although these itinerary might leave markeb and myself cold, I can see it’s a hassle free (but eyewateringly expensive) way to get to Oberammergau. As the Plays are next year, I imagine your choices are limited. By definition, any experiences will be a decade old, so even if there was someone on the Board who has done something similar, it may not help much.
If your key differentiator is the cruise, asking specifically for recommendations between whichever cruise lines operate similar tours might be better. Or looking into doing the two legs independently might increase your choices, but add planning complexity at this late stage. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am booked on Scenic Waterways Danube River cruise starting 7 July 2022 from Budapest and ending in Oberammergau and Munich. This is my first time on Scenic, and I have booked their only solo cabin. I've been on Avalon and Ama Waterways river cruises, and almost any cruise company should be fine. However I have found that it is sometimes difficult to find cruises that include Oberammergau. You can check Ralph Grizzle's website to compare cruise company prices and options.

I just did a quick check. There are a few river cruise cabins left on the Danube that include Oberammergau. They include Croisi, Colette, Uniworld and Emerald. Croisi has the reputation of French speakers, but they have English too. I have no opinion on Colette. Uniworld is a little high end, but all inclusive, and Emerald is a class below Scenic.