how does this work

waitin4acruise

:confused:does anyone know how this would work i have sole custody of a15 yr old (not from my tummy but from my heart) when i gained custody i had a diff name got married again soooo if looking at birthc has my madian name name of fist hubby's on custody papers and know i have remarried so diff last name i know i will need my custody papers but what eles will i need>??? anyone know????

While I have gotten some great information from the wonderful people on this board, I think that your concern is well founded and that you should call your cruiseline to make sure you get the correct info.

Perhaps someone here has had a similiar situation and might be able to offer some helpful hints, but I wouldn't count on it to be legally correct. Rules can change from ship to ship, country to country, year to year.

I'd ask someone at the cruiseline's home office, get all the info and then get their name. Then call someone else and ask all over again! I've seen too many cases of "but Mary told me all I needed was.........." and Mary is long gone and you're at the port not getting on the ship.

I'm sure it's just a matter of the right paperwork, so make sure you're getting what the ship requires.

Forewarned is forearmed! Have a great cruise!

Jane

I see you have about 5 months before your cruise. Why not eliminate your ID fiasco and get a passport? During the same timeline, get the proper documentation in order for the 15 year old as well.

Unfortunately, calling the cruiseline doesn't always work, every person you speak with has a different answer. Your best bet would be to talk to the passport agency, perhaps you could obtain a passport for your child at the same time.

Identification is required for entering the country and in your case, taking a minor out of the country legally. It will be inspected by both the ships staff at embarkation and customs, to re-enter the US.

Depending on your custody papers, you may need permission from the father listed on the paperwork, or even a document from the state court giving you sole custody with only your name.

All in all, I think your situation is a bit more involved than others, so start to work on it now. It's too much for an anonymous message board, or cruise line employees to handle.

If you have sole custody then take the court papers that proves this, an original certified birth certificate for the child, an original certified birth certificate for you, original marriage certificate 1st, divorce decree, new marriage certificate, and a state or government issued photo ID. Keep them all in one of those accordion check holders. It doesn't take up much room and is easy to keep it all handy if they ask for it. I wouldn't drag it all out of the accordion folder until they asked for it. You will need to show the ID and the birth certificates for sure but they may not ask for anything else. I would have all of it just in case no matter what the cruise line or your TA says. I've had to do the same thing with a child traveling with us and I have been asked for some of that stuff and I have not been asked at times. Play it safe.

I agree that the best solution is to gather the papers and take them to a passport agency. Then all the info will be incorporated into one legal document that is accepted worldwide. After all, if you plan to cruise again in the next few years you will need a passport any way.

Archived