Will I like the Bahamas?

chiefofsages

Relatively new cruiser here who has only been to Bermuda thus far.  While I LOVED Bermuda (and plan to make it an annual outing), I'd also like to try some other destinations.  I would like to go on one in April, but my options are limited because I need to go out of New York or Boston.  I don't want to deal with flying for this particular trip, so those are the two that are within manageable distances for me.  Basically, I have a choice of Bermuda or Bahamas to go to, and I just went to Bermuda in October and will be going back next October.  I'm not doing New England since I already live up here!

However, I have heard from multiple parties on separate occasions that the Bahamas are not a great place to visit.  I've heard the worst thing is that people hound you to buy their stuff and such, versus Bermuda where they pretty much leave you alone.  However, I don't want to let a few people who may have had bad experiences prevent me from going somewhere that might be great.  

Your thoughts?

I’d say the Bahamas are the opposite of Bermuda. I’ve cruised there several times, we’ve alway purchased hotel day passes, the beaches are beautiful. There are still some aggressive vendors on the beaches but we ignore them. There’s a lot of poverty.

I've cruised to the Bahamas several times and I love it, but I've never been to Bermuda, so I can't compare directly. Yes, there are some vendors who are bit more pushy, but I think even aggressive is a bit harsh. They just need more than one "No, thank you". The beaches, in general, are beautiful. If you are going to a bigger place like Nassau, there can be some decent shopping. I remember we snorkeled in Grand Cayman and that was lovely. There's usually excursions through the cruise line or ones you can book independently if you want a more guided experience and if you get some kind of tour you can learn a lot about the local culture of the island you're on.