Best "saloon" singer on board?

joeinsb

We usually top off a nice dinner by going to the ship's lounge and listening to the pianist--in particular one who plays standards (Gershwin, Cole Porter, etc). So far the best we've enjoyed were Jeff Deutsch on Crystal Harmony (a ship no longer cruising in our part of the world) and Steve Lowenthal on HAL's Westerdam. Steve was amazing because he played from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. without a break (talk about bladder control!). And also that he could play, and in some cases sing, just about every song ever written form that era. All this and he couldn't read music! Steve, a New Yorker who didn't suffer fools gladly didn't like what I call, "Hallmark greeting card songs," which is pretty much most contemporary stuff such as "Wind Beneath My Wings," so if anyone requested it, he would say that he didn't know it, which is pretty interesting since he played by ear. Anyway, we loved the guy and wonder what experiences, favorites, etc other CCers enjoyed?

Hands down the best entertainer at see is Bert Stratton on the Caribbean Princess. There are alot of comments about Bert over on the Princess board. He has a lounge show every evening - we didn't miss one of his shows the last time we cruised that ship. He was fantastic. He also has a website I believe is http://www.bertstratton.com. I would sail that ship again just to see Bert.

Archived