Stupid question. It is NCL sailing now? Alaska 2022?

cruising7

To Alaska? We have June 2022 Alaskan cruise  planned now and NCL shows it as going….but are they now? 
Some of our group may be ready to bail on the Alaskan cruise we’ve put off for 2 years now. It’s been harder to find valid information than I thought it would be. 

thanks for advice-  and for kindness if I’m overlooking obvious info and this is a dumb question 🙂❤️

Of course, a number of Norwegian ships are sailing.  One more yesterday and two more the 20th and 21st.

2022 Alaskan Season will have a number of ships sailing.  The Bliss, The Encore, The Sun will be sailing from Seattle, WA.  The Jewel from Vsncouver. B.C.  I am not sure excatly where The Spirit will be homeported for the Season.

I am heading to Alaska late April on The Jewel.

I am having such a hard time finding information. Everything I’ve found says Canadian ports were to open November 1, 2021. 
Have a member in our  party that doesn’t believe our 2022 cruise will happen and wants us to back out. 
I am trying to convince them otherwise and having a hard time finding valid info to share.

So again , forgive the stupid question and thanks in advance for anyone that may offer valid experience or information to prove they HAVE already been sailing to Alaska and that there is no huge, current reason to believe June 2022 is in jeopardy (clearly nobody can be completely certain- just looking for reliable up to date information to guide decisions before January).

1 minute ago, cruising7 said:

I am having such a hard time finding information. Everything I’ve found says Canadian ports were to open November 1, 2021. 
Have a member in our  party that doesn’t believe our 2022 cruise will happen and wants us to back out. 
I am trying to convince them otherwise and having a hard time finding valid info to share.

So again , forgive the stupid question and thanks in advance for anyone that may offer valid experience or information to prove they HAVE already been sailing to Alaska and that there is no huge, current reason to believe June 2022 is in jeopardy (clearly nobody can be completely certain- just looking for reliable up to date information to guide decisions before January).

For 2021, the Biden administration enacted a change to rules so that Alaska cruises could proceed without stopping in Canadian ports.  So, your findings are accurate.  The Alaska cruises did not stop in Canada.  They went directly from Seattle to Alaska ports.  

For 2022, we will have to wait and see what happens.  If Canada opens its ports, I'm sure the cruise lines will probably stop in them as I think the rule change is only temporary.  Normally, cruise ships must make at least one stop in Canada by law.

17 minutes ago, cruising7 said:

Ok thanks - that explained some of our confusion. I didn’t realize they could just skip Canadian ports. Thanks! 

There were a few reviews of the fall 2021 NCL Alaska cruises on Cruise Critic.  You might search for them.  I can't recall which ship was up there.  Maybe the Encore?  Or Bliss?

Edited by MeHeartCruising

I was on the NCL Encore sailing to Alaska out of Seattle last month; it was fantastic. There were at least three comprehensive 'live from' trip reviews of this year's sailings on the Encore to Alaska that you can show your friends, plus several very active roll calls.

And yes, Canada officially ended the cruise ship ban for Canadian ports on November 1... but they intentionally picked a date after the end of the traditional summer season (to give cruise lines enough time to plan for next season), so it's not like we have ships currently docking and wouldn't until April/May 2022.

Here is one of several “live” threads from this season.  There are no stupid  questions.  

As others have said, there was an exception made to the Passenger Vessel Service Act for 2021, with regard to Alaska.  I believe it was introduced in Congress by the 2 Alaska Senators and passed without much objection.  Enjoy.  

And here is the news release of the exception

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2021-05-24/biden-signs-bill-opening-door-for-alaska-cruises-to-resume

Edited by milolii

1 hour ago, www3traveler said:

Of course, a number of Norwegian ships are sailing.  One more yesterday and two more the 20th and 21st.

2022 Alaskan Season will have a number of ships sailing.  The Bliss, The Encore, The Sun will be sailing from Seattle, WA.  The Jewel from Vsncouver. B.C.  I am not sure excatly where The Spirit will be homeported for the Season.

I am heading to Alaska late April on The Jewel.

Spirit will homeport in Seattle in 2022; I've booked the single 5-day sailing in July; the others are 7 to 11 days. In 2023 and 2024, both Spirit and Jewel will do the Vancouver-Seward bounce.

Good to know Canadian ports will be allowing cruise ships to dock in 2022. I am booked on the Jewel in July, Seward to Vancouver trip and had not booked air travel yet for this cruise. Wanted to make sure the Canada disembark was a go. So at least for now that's what we know.  Thanks!