Pcr testing info Canadians

Florida_gal_50

Before I left I posted on a couple roll calls asking Canadians what their experience was on getting a pcr test.  Only one got  back to me so I did appreciate that.  Victoriaann and vmax were very good on information for Europe.  I asked what would happen when I got on board the koningsdam and the front desk told me it would be done ashore after disembarking which didn't thrill me.  I asked when I had my covid test between cruises and she said it would be on board.  I mentioned being worried and she said don't be.  I got a call this morning and she said it will be done on Saturday but I will receive info once ironed out.  I will update once it happens.  I'm just hoping this might help other Canadians with piece of mind.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Thanks!  I am hesitating booking a cruise, because of the COVID stuff.  I didn't think I would be so jittery, but I'm likely travelling either with a first-time cruiser, or by myself.  Details have not been ironed out yet.

12 minutes ago, trixiee said:

Thanks!  I am hesitating booking a cruise, because of the COVID stuff.  I didn't think I would be so jittery, but I'm likely travelling either with a first-time cruiser, or by myself.  Details have not been ironed out yet.

I hear you.  I was terrified.  Once you are on the ship its worth it. I second guessed whether I should go hundreds of times.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Before I left I posted on a couple roll calls asking Canadians what their experience was on getting a pcr test.  Only one got  back to me so I did appreciate that.  Victoriaann and vmax were very good on information for Europe.  I asked what would happen when I got on board the koningsdam and the front desk told me it would be done ashore after disembarking which didn't thrill me.  I asked when I had my covid test between cruises and she said it would be on board.  I mentioned being worried and she said don't be.  I got a call this morning and she said it will be done on Saturday but I will receive info once ironed out.  I will update once it happens.  I'm just hoping this might help other Canadians with piece of mind.

=====

Rapid Antigen tests can be done on board and do not require a lab.    I am inclined to think that HAL does not have labs on board that can process PCR tests.    From what I read is that Canadians (and all travelers) need to get PCR test before going to Canada.  It may be better to fly out one day later from the US with your PCR test results.

Peter

Edited by SFO PETER

1 hour ago, SFO PETER said:

=====

Rapid Antigen tests can be done on board and do not require a lab.    I am inclined to think that HAL does not have labs on board that can process PCR tests.    From what I read is that Canadians (and all travelers) need to get PCR test before going to Canada.  It may be better to fly out one day later from the US with your PCR test results.

Peter

We are booked to fly a few hours after disembakation at Fort Lauderdale. Any idea or suggestions where we can get our test PCR/antigen, prior to boarding Air Canada to Montreal. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

2 hours ago, SFO PETER said:

=====

Peter

No this is not true.  Victoria Ann posted about getting  one on board.  The person that I spoke to this morning is well aware that I need a pcr test as I am.  This post I guess is trying to be helpful.  I’m not retired and time is of the essence to get back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bajantraveller said:

We are booked to fly a few hours after disembakation at Fort Lauderdale. Any idea or suggestions where we can get our test PCR/antigen, prior to boarding Air Canada to Montreal. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I believe you can purchase one through air Canada now and this is a pcr test or acceptable test.  Clearly they don’t have a lab either 🙄 but you do need internet. Also hal does say that they will take care of it so I would check when you first get on board.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 1

My statement was "inclined to think" and was not a definite factual statement.

We did PCR testing at Univ of California Medical school 8:30 am Monday and did not get our results back until  11 pm night for an early morning Tuesday flight.   So everyone can do what they think is best.

Peter

For all Canadians if you are going to travel to a ship that departs from the US you will need PCR or Antigen test minimum  2 days prior to boarding a ship. Usually Antigen test are faster and cheaper. 
To come back into Canada you must have a PCR test done before boarding your flight back. Check with your cruise line as some will do them a few days prior to ship arrival. That is the case for Holland America for now.

Sea Ya

Eric 

6 hours ago, nimiq said:

For all Canadians if you are going to travel to a ship that departs from the US you will need PCR or Antigen test minimum  2 days prior to boarding a ship. Usually Antigen test are faster and cheaper. 
To come back into Canada you must have a PCR test done before boarding your flight back. Check with your cruise line as some will do them a few days prior to ship arrival. That is the case for Holland America for now.

Sea Ya

Eric 

The first paragraph is not correct.  It’s a maximum of 2 days before.  I assume that is what you meant.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I would think they would because you are Canadian but I don’t know.

I plan on asking before I book anything.  Following the thread you're posting from, as that one looks very interesting to me!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, trixiee said:

I plan on asking before I book anything.  Following the thread you're posting from, as that one looks very interesting to me!

Hopefully they will switch to just an antigen before too long.  It would make it so much easier and I don’t see how it would make a difference.

• Like 1

Just now, Florida_gal_50 said:

Hopefully they will switch to just an antigen before too long.  It would make it so much easier and I don’t see how it would make a difference.

I think it has something to do with the reliability of the antigen test?  More false positives?  But I'm not sure!

• Like 1

We just had word from Canadian friends of ours that were on the Eurodam with us that they got into trouble with their tests.  Evidently they asked for PCR tests, where given the correct vials of fluid for PCR tests, and their results came back negative, but when they got to the airport (Munich) from which they were entering Canada they were refused boarding, because the forms the ship had given them said antigen  (probably a typo!).  They had to pay $500 to get rapid PCR tests and were too late to board the flight, so had to stay overnight in Munich and get a flight the next day.  Not happy!  So be sure to read the fine print on your test form!!  What a silly mistake for the ship to make...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Vict0riann said:

We just had word from Canadian friends of ours that were on the Eurodam with us that they got into trouble with their tests.  Evidently they asked for PCR tests, where given the correct vials of fluid for PCR tests, and their results came back negative, but when they got to the airport (Munich) from which they were entering Canada they were refused boarding, because the forms the ship had given them said antigen  (probably a typo!).  They had to pay $500 to get rapid PCR tests and were too late to board the flight, so had to stay overnight in Munich and get a flight the next day.  Not happy!  So be sure to read the fine print on your test form!!  What a silly mistake for the ship to make...

Thank you for the heads up on that! Not cool.

This was taken from the HAL website (FAQ), where it lists that tests (Antigen or PCR) would be completed onboard before disembarkation... Is this not the case anymore?  

Will be on the Dec 1 Rotterdam voyage followed by the Dec 12 Nieuw Statendam - so hoping to get tests done to board the 2nd trip as well as PCR to fly back to Toronto on the 19th 😵

Capture1.PNG

We were on the same cruise with Ann and Pat on the Eurodam in Europe and the Canadians received the PCR test on board ship which enabled us to return to Canada and to make our flight from Munich to Toronto . Our papers with the proof of being negative were from an Italian Laboratory which we received a day after our tests were taken . So everything went very smooth and there was not a problem once we arrived in Toronto . 

But since we have booked another cruise from and to San Diego I would like to hear from Canadians cruising now and who arrive back in the US if they are getting the PCR test on board ship to be able to fly back to Canada with proof from a laboratory .

Thank you @Florida_gal_50 for raising this question !

Tony 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alfisti said:

This was taken from the HAL website (FAQ), where it lists that tests (Antigen or PCR) would be completed onboard before disembarkation... Is this not the case anymore?  

Will be on the Dec 1 Rotterdam voyage followed by the Dec 12 Nieuw Statendam - so hoping to get tests done to board the 2nd trip as well as PCR to fly back to Toronto on the 19th 😵

Capture1.PNG

Yes it's still the case.  I'm not sure why some folks that aren't Canadians post to cause doubt.  To me that's not really helpful.