Just back from 2 weeks on Symphony - questions? Ask away!

13 minutes ago, winock said:

Was the show Flight offered during your cruises?

Yes it was. Day 6 at 8:15pm and Day 7 at 7pm for both weeks. Reservations were required. Vaccinated guests were in the lower level and anyone with children were in the upper level.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ams1012 said:

Are they doing gameshows yet? I heard Quest and the Marriage game wasn't happening on some ships. 

No Quest or Love and Marriage although the CD did say they were working to try and get those things back but it would take time. They did have other game shows at On Air - Who Wants to be a Caribbeanaire, Adult Majority Rules, Blankety Blank, Rock the Room. 

I’m just wondering if you could provide any general comments about the symphony. In relation to other ships perhaps.

also, any idea how the night life is and the late night scene in general? (11 PM+). It seems a bit light on the schedule with only one real blowout club night, no theme nights or parties. I saw silent disco on there a couple times but that’s not my idea of a fun night.

also, what would you say the kids’ population was? Were you swamped with kids, in the middle, or hardly any?

Just now, marktwothousand said:

I’m just wondering if you could provide any general comments about the symphony. In relation to other ships perhaps.

also, any idea how the night life is and the late night scene in general? (11 PM+). It seems a bit light on the schedule with only one real blowout club night, no theme nights or parties. I saw silent disco on there a couple times but that’s not my idea of a fun night.

also, what would you say the kids’ population was? Were you swamped with kids, in the middle, or hardly any?

Loved the ship. She sailed at 42% capacity the first week and we didn't see many kids at all. Saw a few more the second week when she sailed closer to 50% capacity, but really not that many considering the size of the ship and that these were 7 night cruises which tend to be more family focused. Compared to Allure, she is pretty much the same. Same feel, with a few different venues, at least from when I sailed her last. Though the boardwalk seemed busier and louder, even with the reduced number of pax.

The night life wasn't hopping, probably because of the low number of passengers. The DJ played each night in the Attic until about 1 am or so. We were there over Halloween so they had a Monster Mash Dance Party that started at 10:00 pm. There were two HUSH Silent Dance Parties each week and a RED Nightclub Experience each week as well. Boleros usually had a band playing well into the wee hours and there always seemed to be a crowd there dancing. Dazzles also had a band most nights with dancing and although I didn't go, I think the Jazz club had live music later into the evenings as well.

4 minutes ago, Cayman Turtle said:

Loved the ship. She sailed at 42% capacity the first week and we didn't see many kids at all. Saw a few more the second week when she sailed closer to 50% capacity, but really not that many considering the size of the ship and that these were 7 night cruises which tend to be more family focused. Compared to Allure, she is pretty much the same. Same feel, with a few different venues, at least from when I sailed her last. Though the boardwalk seemed busier and louder, even with the reduced number of pax.

The night life wasn't hopping, probably because of the low number of passengers. The DJ played each night in the Attic until about 1 am or so. We were there over Halloween so they had a Monster Mash Dance Party that started at 10:00 pm. There were two HUSH Silent Dance Parties each week and a RED Nightclub Experience each week as well. Boleros usually had a band playing well into the wee hours and there always seemed to be a crowd there dancing. Dazzles also had a band most nights with dancing and although I didn't go, I think the Jazz club had live music later into the evenings as well.

Ewwwuuughhh! 1 is pretty mild but I guess there’s other stuff to keep busy. Plus it will help me sleep early as not to miss my return PCR test. Any recollection or knowledge if the hot tubs were open 24/7? I HEARD some were…

did you run into any other notable numbers of Canadians or internationals on board or was it basically overwhelmingly American?

thanks a LOT for the info BTW it was very helpful 

Edited by marktwothousand

3 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

Ewwwuuughhh! 1 is pretty mild but I guess there’s other stuff to keep busy. Plus it will help me sleep early as not to miss my return PCR test. Any recollection or knowledge if the hot tubs were open 24/7? I HEARD some were…

did you run into any other notable numbers of Canadians or internationals on board or was it basically overwhelmingly American?

thanks a LOT for the info BTW it was very helpful 

Mostly American for these two weeks, but not surprising based on the regulations for UK and European travelers that were only lifted a few days before we sailed. We did meet one couple from Germany who had spent two weeks in Canada just so they could board the ship and get around the restrictions! I'm sure now that the 14 day ban is lifted you'll see more European and UK travelers. We met maybe three other Canadian groups but there may have been more. It's not always easy to spot us 🙂

I can't say if the hot tubs were open 24/7 but I did go up to the Solarium one night for a dip and only one tub was open in there. I did pass the cantilever tub on the way in and that was open as well as some of the ones on the pool decks. That was probably somewhere between 10 and 11pm.

@Cayman Turtledo you happen to remember what kind of plug sockets there were in staterooms? I usually like to bring a couple European adapters with me for my US electronics so that I can use more plugs in the wall without needing an extension cord. I also like to travel with a heating pad, Would you recommend an extension cord?

14 hours ago, Cayman Turtle said:

No Quest or Love and Marriage although the CD did say they were working to try and get those things back but it would take time. They did have other game shows at On Air - Who Wants to be a Caribbeanaire, Adult Majority Rules, Blankety Blank, Rock the Room. 

Can you explain what "Rock the Room" is? Many have mentioned it on CC but no one really has explained it. It must be something new as I have never heard about it on any of the RCCL cruises I have been on.

8 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

@Cayman Turtledo you happen to remember what kind of plug sockets there were in staterooms? I usually like to bring a couple European adapters with me for my US electronics so that I can use more plugs in the wall without needing an extension cord. I also like to travel with a heating pad, Would you recommend an extension cord?

There were two USB ports, two North American outlets and one European outlet at the desk area. There was also a North American outlet at one of the bed side tables, which is a nice addition that I haven't seen on other ships. The bathroom also has an outlet meant for shavers which could probably be used for hair dryers but I didn't think to try it. I don't think you'll need an extension cord and Biker19 is correct - I believe it states in the cruise contract that they are not allowed. 

15 minutes ago, GEORGIEGIRL said:

Can you explain what "Rock the Room" is? Many have mentioned it on CC but no one really has explained it. It must be something new as I have never heard about it on any of the RCCL cruises I have been on.

Rock the Room is a music based game show. I've seen it played in slightly different ways but it is basically a music trivia game. On this cruise they had three contestants come up to the front. Then they would play a song and once the song clip was done, they would ask a question about that song. Sometimes it was something specific about the singer or band, sometimes it was what country it was from, or what year, album, lyrics, etc. If the three contestants didn't know then the host would ask the room and if someone knew the answer they got a small prize - like a keychain. The 3 contestants got a keychain for each question they answered correctly and at the end whoever had the most keychains was the winner. It was a little disjointed when we played because once the room realized they could answer, they started shouting out the answers before the contestants. It was all in fun though and if you get a good host it can be a good laugh. 

10 hours ago, Maitaivegas said:

Hi were you able to pick up the Wi-Fi from the pier (before you got on)?

I want to book my shows and dinners early.

thank you.

I didn't check on the pier wifi since I was connected to my cellular data while in port but it wouldn't have made a difference since you need to connect to the ship's wifi to be able to make reservations in the app. You don't need to purchase a wifi package, just connect to Royal Wifi in your settings and the app will be available. But be aware that bookings for shows and dinners weren't available in the app until the afternoon once the majority of the guests were on board. The first day of our second week I tried to book them as soon as we were back on board but got the message that they weren't available yet. If you want to book them before they become available in the app, your best bet would be to go to or call the dining room and the box office once you get on board and make the reservations in person. I waited until they were available in the app - I think it was about the time the rooms were ready, maybe a little later - and booked them all without problem. But you will want to do it early.

On 11/16/2021 at 3:02 PM, Cayman Turtle said:

Just finished a B2B on Symphony - my first cruise back since the "Pause in Operations". I'd be happy to answer any questions if you have them.

Hi there..how was the adult Serenity area and their pool area? Nice? Open regular hours and such? Were all of the restaurants up and going? Thanks for your help!!! 

1 hour ago, etravel said:

Hi there..how was the adult Serenity area and their pool area? Nice? Open regular hours and such? Were all of the restaurants up and going? Thanks for your help!!! 

If you mean the Solarium, it was wonderful. Not as hot as some of the other ships since this one has some open roof areas. There are a couple of hot tubs in there, a smaller circular pool, bar and the Solarium Bistro is also accessed from there. Lots of seating and loungers with comfortable cushions and some of those basket type seats you can lie down in. It was open every time I went there. Be sure to check out the lower level and head out to the wings - the one on the port side has a section of glass floor which is pretty neat.

The main pool area had 4 areas - sports pool, main pool, beach pool and the H2O zone for kids. The beach pool has umbrellas over the loungers which is nice if you can snag one. It wasn't too busy on our trip but we sailed with only 42% capacity. I would expect this area to be highly sought after once she sails full.

All the specialty restaurants were open. We went to Jamie's Italian, Johnny Rockets, Wonderland and Play Makers. The main dining room was open for breakfast and dinner, with lunch available on sea days as per usual. The Windjammer was closed for dinner but we were told it would be opening up again when the pax count got over 50%. If you didn't want a specialty restaurant or the dining room for dinner you were limited to Cafe Promenade or Sorrentos. Park Cafe closed around 5 or 6 each evening but was open for breakfast and lunch. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chickadees said:

I pre-booked Solarium for dinner on our upcoming cruise in 9 days. It is free. 

How were you able to do that? I was of the understanding that all reservations, specialty or not, had to be booked aboard?