Not Cruise just visiting Boston!

bosox04

Hello all,

My first time posting on the New England board. I recently purchased my first Red Sox tickets in Fenway for a game on Sept 27th of this year. It will be our first time in the Boston area and I wanted suggestion on where to stay for 5 days. The Red Sox game is the day we arrive and the rest of the days we want to see the historic parts of Bosotn and possibly rent a car and visit the Mohawk Trail. I know it will be early in the Fall Foliage season but maybe we'll get to see some nice colors. Any suggestions?

I would reccomend the Millenium Hotel for the stay in Boston, it is not that cheap, but you step right out to Faniual Hall. The great North End will be maybe four blocks away with all the best places to eat and pick up sweets. A small amount of walking will be needed to reach the Boston Public Park area to ride the Swan Boats and pick up some tours. When you go to the game make sure to get there early and try the food, place has change alot. The leaves changing color, you may need to travel to Vermont or New Hampshire pretty far north to see dramatic changes. I would also say, please do not drive in Boston if you do not have to, when I visit the city ( 30 mins from home ) I park the car in the parking garage and walk around.

I would recommend the Copley Westin or Marriot Long Wharf for hotels in Boston. Definitely rent a car and drive out to Western MA...the foliage won't be at peak, but you should see some color. Stop at Yankee Candle in Deerfield, visit Amherst and Northampton and head out to North Adams...let me know if you have any other questions.

• 2 weeks later...
Would these hotels be suitable for going on a cruise also? Trying to find one that is close to the port. Yankee Candle??? Oh no, you had to tell me that. ;)

Boston is a small city, area wise, so close to the port is all relative...probably a 10 minute cab ride--but the port area is a tourist area, so you probably wouldn't want to stay there anyway.

And Yankee Candle is unbelievable...the original factory and factory store...quite an experience.

The port itself is NOT in a tourist area, it's industrial. I think the poster left out a word.

Deerfield is a real schlep from the city, unless you're a HUGE Yankee Candle fan there's no need to go out there, unless you're doing a foliage tour, in which case that's not a bad direction to go.

Deerfield is a real schlep from the city, unless you're a HUGE Yankee Candle fan there's no need to go out there, unless you're doing a foliage tour, in which case that's not a bad direction to go.

The original poster said they wanted to go the Mohawk Trail, hence the original mention of Yankee Candle in Deerfield. I definitely wouldn't recommend taking two hours out of someone's visit who is just in the city for a day or so to leave for a cruise.

From a Bostonian - although born in Melbourne, FL -- not too far from

Kissimmee -- this is what I would recommend. If you want to walk to the Red Sox game, stay at the Hotel Commonwealth in Kenmore Square. If you want to be in downtown Boston right on the Freedom Trail and take the Green Line trolley about 4 stops to Kenmore/Fenway, stay at the Omni Parker House Hotel, home of the Parker House Roll and where the Boston Cream Pie was invented. If you want to be in the Copley Square area, close to Newbury Street and the finish line of the Boston Marathon, and actually not a bad walk to Fenway, stay at the Lenox. And close to the North End you have the Long Wharf Hotel and the Bulfinch, which is near North Station and the Garden, where the Bruins and Celtics play. The Mohawk Trail is great -- much more than Yankee Candle -- please do spend some time at Deerfield and have lunch at the Deerfield Inn -- the homes along Main Street are amazing -- from early colonial times. And stop at Shelburne Falls at the Bridge of Flowers, and in North Adams go to Mass MoCa -- modern art museum -- and in Williamstown visit Williams College. If you are lucky you will have the early hints of foliage!! A nice way to see some of old New England. Now, my office is in the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal, and although it is not built up as a tourist destination yet, we do have the Seaport Hotel down here - but we are a little bit separated from the downtown Boston area - about a 20 minute walk.

Have fun at the Sox game!!! Make sure you go early and soak up the ambiance on Yawkey Way -- look for Jerry Remy at RemDawgs and Louis Tiant at his Cuban Sandwich kiosk. They are there a lot and sign autographs and pose for photos!

Wow Madeline815...thank you so much for all that great advice:D . Iwill look into availability at the Omni Parker hotel as I do want to see the freedom trail and I can hop on the trolley for Fenway. I will take note of all the places you mentioned as they all sound great and I feel lucky already to have received such great advice. Hopefully you'll check this tread in the future as I'm sure I'll have more questions as we get closer to our wonderful time in Boston.

thanks,

Robert

From a Bostonian - although born in Melbourne, FL -- not too far from

Kissimmee -- this is what I would recommend. If you want to walk to the Red Sox game, stay at the Hotel Commonwealth in Kenmore Square. If you want to be in downtown Boston right on the Freedom Trail and take the Green Line trolley about 4 stops to Kenmore/Fenway, stay at the Omni Parker House Hotel, home of the Parker House Roll and where the Boston Cream Pie was invented. If you want to be in the Copley Square area, close to Newbury Street and the finish line of the Boston Marathon, and actually not a bad walk to Fenway, stay at the Lenox. And close to the North End you have the Long Wharf Hotel and the Bulfinch, which is near North Station and the Garden, where the Bruins and Celtics play. The Mohawk Trail is great -- much more than Yankee Candle -- please do spend some time at Deerfield and have lunch at the Deerfield Inn -- the homes along Main Street are amazing -- from early colonial times. And stop at Shelburne Falls at the Bridge of Flowers, and in North Adams go to Mass MoCa -- modern art museum -- and in Williamstown visit Williams College. If you are lucky you will have the early hints of foliage!! A nice way to see some of old New England. Now, my office is in the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal, and although it is not built up as a tourist destination yet, we do have the Seaport Hotel down here - but we are a little bit separated from the downtown Boston area - about a 20 minute walk.

Have fun at the Sox game!!! Make sure you go early and soak up the ambiance on Yawkey Way -- look for Jerry Remy at RemDawgs and Louis Tiant at his Cuban Sandwich kiosk. They are there a lot and sign autographs and pose for photos!

Great advice! Several of my favorite W. Mass places are listed! You can also swing south to Lee/Lenox and see some beautiful Berkshire towns.

Make sure you hit the North End. There are some wonderful pastry shops. We like Mike's Pastries on Hanover. They have the best cannolis (sp?).

I would second that..their cannolis are to die for...as are the lobster tails (big puffy pastries filled with cream!).

• 1 month later...

If you are here for several days, don't forget other areas as well. Plymouth Plantation, Lexington/Concord, New Hampshire, you will probably be here too early for any real foliage, but northern NH - White Mountains, etc. might be your best bet.

I second the Marriot Long Wharf. Definitely go to the game early if it is your first time. The street scene is a show in itself. Take the T over don't try to drive and park if you are unfamiliar. It will also cost you a lot to park. T is easy and convenient. There are a bunch of fun bars surrounding Fenway on Lansdowne Street and others for after the game.

If you've got 5 days in Boston ... You will have to visit and eat at Durgin Park. It's a another Boston Landmark. It's in Quincy Market (which is not in Quincy by the way) The atmosphere is 'in the rough' which means CASUAL and the service is deliberatly RUDE! The food is AWESOME! But FIRST, start the evening with a Sam Adams at the Union Oyster House! (Another Boston Landmark) If you decide to walk over to the North End, YES! go to Mike's for dessert! (Yet Another Boston Landmark.) A FUN time in Boston!

OH! And If Steve Sweeney is performing anywhere while you are here....GO SEE HIM! He is a RIOT! ANOTHER Boston Landmark! (so to speak ;-)

• 1 month later...

I LOVE Steve Sweeney, but not sure if everyone will get the Sully jokes!:) I 2nd Durgin Park. Its lots of fun. Quincy Market is also known as Fanuel Hall. The shopping can be expensive and touristy, but the bars & restaurants are great and you're also within walking distance to the aquarium and a little farther but still walkable to the North End.

If you're an art fan, do not miss the Isabelle Gardner museum. The art is displayed throughout her home and its a wonderful eclectic collection. A real sanctuary in Boston!

Have a wonderful trip! GO SOX!

I dont know much about Boston, but we are staying at the Boston Harbor http://bhh.com on the wharf the day prior to our cruise in October. Its about 5-10 minutes from the port.

WOW!!!!!! AWESOME Hotel! AWESOME location! The bar is 'traditonal Old Boston' ... very fine. You are walking distance to Quincy Market .... the North End.... but you only have ONE NIGHT. Enjoy the hotel! The service is, well..... let me put it this way..... you "call' for ice. ;-)

Enjoy and Bon Voyage!

• 1 month later...

Archived