Excursions from Positano

Daw6id

We're on the Istanbul Venice 7/14 Nautica cruise, which stops for one day in Positano. Reading the Oceania literature, there are no excursions to Pompeii from there. Is it possible? Has anybody done it? Are there private tours available? I'd really be interested in seeing Pompeii.

David

You would need to hire a private driver for Pompeii from Positano, or you can take the bus to Sorrento and a short train ride to Pompeii. I don't think you will want to do that, so hiring a driver would be best. We vacation quite often in Positano and usually hire Positano Car Service while there. Their website is, http://www.positanocarservice.com/english/positanocarservice.htm. They are excellent and the company is actually based in Positano. Most of these companies can't actually guide you when inside historical sites, but we love the audio guides at Pompeii. They are inexpensive and give factual and accurate information. They allow you to walk at your own pace and spend more time seeing ruins. Hope this helps. If you do go to Pompeii, know that it is very hot there in July and there is very little shade. Carry a water bottle with you and be very careful on the huge stepping stone streets and high curbs. It is a facinating place and we love it there.

Sharon

I forgot to mention that there are many guides who speak English near the ticket offices. They will usually approach you and many are very good. We just really like the audio guides and maps are included. I'm thinking the audio guides run around € 9 per person.

Sharon

Thanks - how long a trip is it from the dock to Pompeii?

David,

I think it takes about one hour from Positano to Pompeii. I'm not sure about the dock, because we've always been in a hotel. Positano is very small and I can't imagine it taking much longer from where the ship is, as long as it's truly in Positano. There are two routes to Sorrento and Pompeii, one cuts over the hills and is much shorter and the other is more coastal and takes longer. The Amalfi Coast roads are very narrow and slow, especially during the summer months. Make sure you leave yourselves plenty of time in Pompeii. If you do a paid tour, you will only see what they feel are the important sights, but you can wander all day if you have the time. If you hire a guide at the gates of Pompeii, just wander around after the tour is finished. We've been to Pompeii four times and still haven't seen everything.

Sharon

Archived