Industrial action in Cadiz - December cruise cancelled

On 12/7/2021 at 5:51 PM, ferretktf said:

Shes Out!!!

(Omnicron not withstanding) - Normal Cruise Business Is Resumed 

out.JPG

Explorer seems to be at anchor so it will be a close call for her to be back in the Canneries for the 13th Dec when I should board her.

Has anyone been informed of cabin changes due to Marella using Explorer 2? (If there any differences).

Edited by MX-Drew

1 hour ago, MX-Drew said:

Explorer seems to be at anchor so it will be a close call for her to be back in the Canneries for the 13th Dec when I should board her.

Has anyone been informed of cabin changes due to Marella using Explorer 2? (If there any differences).

I think all is well and you will still be in your expected cabin on your expected ship.

While Explorer is currently at anchor (cheaper than berthed in port) this was anticipated. She only needs to dock to pick up the crew (and that is assuming they did not board in Cadiz).

She is just under two days sailing away from Gran Canaria (819 nautical miles), where  - as you highlight - she has to be on Dec 13th (and she has to do this otherwise she cannot release EX2 to resume the Meditteranean Itineraries from Dec 23rd)

Anticipated Canaries Itineraries and Ships

6th - 13th Dec (Gran Canaria): EX2

7th - 14th Dec (Tenerife): EX2

13th - 20th Dec (Gran Canaria) : New passengers embark on EXPLORER 

(both ships will need to travel same itinerary on 13th and 14th December, as EX2 finishes its cruise and EXPLORER starts hers)

14th - 21st Dec (Tenerife) : EXPLORER …. all remaining Canaries itineraries will be on EXPLORER as scheduled.

So she needs to leave Algeciras tomorrow night (or early morning 11th December)

The alternative option for Marella would have been to allow Explorer to sail the two remaining Meditteranean Itineraries (23 & 30 Dec) and switch with EX2 when EX2 departs for the Caribbean on/around 10th January ... however this does not make a lot of commercial sense due to the differences in the ships (EX2 is smaller) and the fact that the Canaries cruises are child-friendly (EX2 has no permanent child facilities)

... additionally, the clearest indicator that they are not doing this is the cancellation of the Dec 16th Mediterranean cruise - which they would not have had to do if Explorer was sailing those itineraries. 

2 hours ago, ferretktf said:

I think all is well and you will still be in your expected cabin on your expected ship.

While Explorer is currently at anchor (cheaper than berthed in port) this was anticipated. She only needs to dock to pick up the crew (and that is assuming they did not board in Cadiz).

She is just under two days sailing away from Gran Canaria (819 nautical miles), where  - as you highlight - she has to be on Dec 13th (and she has to do this otherwise she cannot release EX2 to resume the Meditteranean Itineraries from Dec 23rd)

Anticipated Canaries Itineraries and Ships

6th - 13th Dec (Gran Canaria): EX2

7th - 14th Dec (Tenerife): EX2

13th - 20th Dec (Gran Canaria) : New passengers embark on EXPLORER 

(both ships will need to travel same itinerary on 13th and 14th December, as EX2 finishes its cruise and EXPLORER starts hers)

14th - 21st Dec (Tenerife) : EXPLORER …. all remaining Canaries itineraries will be on EXPLORER as scheduled.

So she needs to leave Algeciras tomorrow night (or early morning 11th December)

The alternative option for Marella would have been to allow Explorer to sail the two remaining Meditteranean Itineraries (23 & 30 Dec) and switch with EX2 when EX2 departs for the Caribbean on/around 10th January ... however this does not make a lot of commercial sense due to the differences in the ships (EX2 is smaller) and the fact that the Canaries cruises are child-friendly (EX2 has no permanent child facilities)

... additionally, the clearest indicator that they are not doing this is the cancellation of the Dec 16th Mediterranean cruise - which they would not have had to do if Explorer was sailing those itineraries. 

A good but but to be honest I don't mind which ship I'm on (sorry to those who had their cruises cancelled) so long as I get away to my own little paradise for a week.

28 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

It looks like Explorer won't reach Las Palmas in time for the cruise I'm on as the current estimated time of arrival is 04:11 15/12/2021 local time. 

I start my cruise on the 13th.

Online I see it arriving there on 13th at 8.00am. Scheduled to leave there at 11.00pm , so looks on course at moment.

details on Port schedule in Las Palmas ,

it left Algeciras last nite and only creeping along at 7.8 knots at present

Edited by Cliffholl55

2 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

It looks like Explorer won't reach Las Palmas in time for the cruise I'm on as the current estimated time of arrival is 04:11 15/12/2021 local time. 

I start my cruise on the 13th.

Where are you seeing this estimated time? 

The logs filed by the Captain state it will dock at 7am on 13th 

N.b. This will happen 

If you are browsing a site that merely extrapolates current speed vs remaining distance then this estimate is incorrect. 

The captain will cruise as economically as possible... He left Algeciras  24 hours earlier than he needed to based on full speed, clearly to save on fuel costs 

Edited by ferretktf

1 minute ago, ferretktf said:

N.b. This will happen 

I was looking on myshiptracking.com.

At time of writing this (14:42) it now gives and estimated time of 01:24 on the 14th so I think it tries to calculate a time based on current speed.

I don't doubt it will get there in time as there would be no point sending at this time. 

57 minutes ago, ferretktf said:

N.b. This will happen 

If you are browsing a site that merely extrapolates current speed vs remaining distance then this estimate is incorrect. 

The captain will cruise as economically as possible... He left Algeciras  24 hours earlier than he needed to based on full speed, clearly to save on fuel costs 

57 minutes ago, ferretktf said:

N.b. This will happen 

https://cruisedig.com/ports/gran-canaria-canary-islands

possibly will arrive early but maybe not allowed to dock until 8.pm. We’re see

Edited by Cliffholl55

@Cliffholl55My question was to MX-Drew following his comment about Explorer not arriving until 15th.  

However, our timings are actually the same.  My time was UTC 7:00  ... your time is CET 8:00 ... they are the same (CET being 1 hr ahead of UTC)

You were more correct however as I did not adjust the UTC for local time.