SD 2 Thanksgiving cruise

fpebbles

So wonderful to be back after 2 years. The rooms are nicely updated. The crew is a few “old” and many new but all wonderful. 

It’s a bit of a hassle for covid testing, mostly as the rules are confusing/unclear. It was a bit nerve wracking waiting for results prior to boarding. We are a family group of 8 but I didn’t want to leave anyone behind. 

2C379FC8-322D-4529-8B21-CB6E832A54EA.thumb.jpeg.aa05515da30d91f6433ce6f13e1cc10c.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for the post, fpebbles.  In a couple of days we will be able to say we are sailing "this month."  We board SDII after Christmas.  Looking forward to seeing the updates.  I know they have done some electrical work, offering more outlets.  Can you tell me if they now have outlets by the nightstands?  I don't like running the extension cord for my cpap machine.

As for the food, are they still not doing help yourself at the breakfast and lunch buffets?  How are they handling that?

As fpebbles said, it was a wonderful cruise. It was a back to back for us (crossing + Caribbean's) and maybe one of our best crossing experience as well.

Electrical work: yes - USB and regular plug by the bed, as well as on the desk. The light switches will take a bit to get used to (master switch, master light switch, ..) but overall very nice updates to the cabines. More light, better space utilization with the drawers, and soft-close drawers that don't open in the middle of the night in rough sea.

Food: the menu has evolved and I think even better than ever. Even the vegan menu is no longer an afterthought, has very good and innovative dishes (my wife is now a fan)

Buffets protocol: you can ask a waiter, or self-serve (with disposable gloves). Same protocol for the cocktail snacks.

Note also that the SD2 crew is fully vaccinated, and got their booster shots in Puerto Rico after the crossing. They also keep new crew on quarantine for a few days before releasing them for duty (so we got to enjoy both Chef Tomasz and Chef Alistair last week).

• Like 1