Booking "Free" Specialty Dining With Another Cabin

Cruiser1976

Hello! New to NCL, usually sail RCCL and have a question about booking the free specialty restaurants. We are sailing with another cabin and if they book a restaurant online and say it's for 4 people (which includes my cabin) will that allow us to use the free dining option or do we need to book it separately? I had read someplace that the "free" perks needed to be booked in advance and could not be redeemed onboard. Thanks

13 minutes ago, Cruiser1976 said:

Hello! New to NCL, usually sail RCCL and have a question about booking the free specialty restaurants. We are sailing with another cabin and if they book a restaurant online and say it's for 4 people (which includes my cabin) will that allow us to use the free dining option or do we need to book it separately? I had read someplace that the "free" perks needed to be booked in advance and could not be redeemed onboard. Thanks

I sailed Encore in January 2020 with my wife and daughter in addition to my aunt and uncle.

I booked 3 specialty restaurants as part of the free perks after I boarded for all 5 of us and we easily redeemed without a hitch. 

43 minutes ago, Cruiser1976 said:

The meals don’t need to be booked in advance. If there is availability then you can reserve onboard or just walk in. They hold back a lot of spaces for booking onboard, so it isn’t essential to prebook (but you want to do it soon after boarding).

Just to expand on the earlier answers, when you reserve online you just state the number of people who are in your dining party, you don’t say who they are. When you arrive at the restaurant you say how you will be paying, so at the point you reserve online NCL don’t know whether you are booking a free at sea meal or one you will pay for a la carte. 

• Like 1

You'll be asked for your key cards.  If you have free meals, they would apply those first (unless you specified otherwise.)  If some people have freebies left, others have Platinum meals, and still more are paying, the waitstaff will figure it all out.