Sailing from Sint Maarten question

cruiseej

For anyone booked on a cruise sailing from Sint Maarten in the next few months, I'm wondering if you've been able to get answers about some of the poor and contradictory wording on Seabourn's website regarding testing requirements.

Seabourn recently updated their web page for sailing from Barbados to include information about sailing from Sint Maarten. That's good new for us on those Sint Maarten cruises. But I find one part of the document unclear, and one part outright contradictory. It first says:

"Guests will be required to show proof of a negative Standard (non-rapid) PCR COVID-19 test at the cruise terminal, performed within 3-days prior of their cruise embarkation in St. Maarten."

What does the poorly-worded "within 3 days prior of their cruise embarkation" mean? Is is within 3 days of embarkation, or within 3 days prior to the day of embarkation? Our cruise embarks on a Saturday. A test 3 days prior to the day of embarkation means Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday; a test within 3 days of embarkation means Thursday, Friday or Saturday. Which is it? We're flying to Sint Maarten on Friday, so getting a test Wednesday with results Thursday would enable us to fly on Friday. But if we can't test until Thursday, we won't have test results before we fly. Currently, this appears to be okay, as Sint Maarten doesn't require a test for fully-vaccinated people to enter the country -- but who would want to fly to another country without test results, and find out upon landing that their test results came back and show they tested positive for COVID? Then you'd miss your cruise and be stranded in another country.

Here's where it gets more confusing... Later in the Seabourn document, they seem to have a contradictory statement about acceptable tests:

Vaccinated guests may use a medically observed self-test that meets the following criteria: Only medically observed self-tests will be accepted. The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. 

Well, a medically-observed antigen self-test is cheaper, easier, and faster than finding and paying for a PCR test with 24 hour results. So which is it, Seabourn? Is a PCR test required, as first stated, or is an antigen test accepted? 

If anyone has found out anything regarding these issues, please share what you've found! (And of course, it's understood that any of these entry/boarding requirements could change at any moment.)

I’ve talked to Seabourn numerous times over the past few months about how this is all going to work as I’ve pointed out many inconsistencies to them in the FAQs on this topic on the website (not trying to take cheap shot — I actually really appreciate the effort they have put in to provide the information and keep it relatively updated (although I note they have still not updated the website regarding the extension of the vaccine requirement).

That said, I am on a March Barbados-Barbados cruise, but the concept is really the same here (in other words … the two islands are not counting days differently). The key observation I’ve made so far is that, to the extent possible, Seabourn is trying to align the PCR test requirements of the country with the embarkation protocols to minimize the amount of time/money we’ll have to come out of pocket on tests, and keeping in mind that they are still do rapid tests at embark for all passengers anyway.

So, to your first question … I have been told repeatedly that the 3 days test requirement relates to entry to the country itself and that test is sufficient for embarkation. In fact, they recently updated the FAQ to make clear that if you arrive a few days early for a pre-cruise stay no additional PCR testing will be required. So, for us … also boarding on a Saturday … it means we need a test on the previous Wednesday (still haven’t figured out if we’re going with the “we’ll come to your house and test you and take the test away and mail it” option that Barbados seems to prefer or some other option).

I also agree Sint Maarten looks more confusing I think because currently, fully vaccinated passengers have to testing requirements, but given the fact that the ship home ports in Barbados as well they might be aligning so that they can represent to Barbados that “all embarking travelers both tested neg at embarkation and provided proof of a neg PCR test taken within 3 days.” So, I’ve been told by Seabourn that for Sat cruises, PCR test dates should be no earlier than the Wednesday before.

Finally, thought I would add that, as of Monday, Sint Maarten IS reinstating it PCR test policy for travel from countries with high COVID rates .. although the US is not on the list yet, looking at the list I would guess it is just a matter of time until we are added. The kicker is it looks like Sint Maarten is going to require either a 48hr PCR test OR a 24 Ag test. I’m guessing for those of us embarking at Barbados might need to get a test onboard the day before we arrive if we want to get off and tour on our own.

Sorry for the long message and hope it helps somewhat.

@Navis Thank you. What you posted here matches what I see. While Barbados requires a PCR test for entry into the country, Sint Maarten does not. I understand that Seabourn would still want a test for passengers, even if the country doesn't.

When we sailed on Odyssey from Barbados in September, the port authority was doing rapid antigen tests for all passengers before we could board. I guess that was expensive for Seabourn, so now they want to transfer the expense to us to get a test. No problem. Except that what they recently posted for Sint Maarten cruises is contradictory, saying in one place that it must be a PCR test and in another than it can be a medically-observed rapid antigen test. Well, there are big differences in timing, cost and availability depending which of those tests is actually accepted. A PCR test with guaranteed 24 hours results is more expensive and not widely available, so we'd need to reserve and pre-pay for such testing about an hour from our house -- if that's truly what we'll need.

I haven't reached out to my travel agent or Seabourn about this yet, because with 80+ days to go before our cruise, I know things might change before then. (Especially if Omicron turns out to be a major factor. And you're right that I wouldn't be surprised to see the US turn up on the Sint Maarten "high risk" countries list, which will then require the PCR test for entry.)

I was asking here in case anyone else has already traveled down this road and obtained clarification from Seabourn about the testing for Sint Maarten.

Thanks again.

Ahh, sorry I missed the testing discrepancy on Sint Maarten specific page.

The one I pointed out to them yesterday was the contradiction between the “General FAQs” tab and the “Barbados and Sint Maarten cruises” tab. The general one says test must be within 2 days while the Barbados section says it must be within 3 days. At first I was worried that what they were saying was Barbados was requiring a three day test but that Seabourn was separately requiring a 2 day test … which seemed ridiculous. So I called and was on hold for a while but they finally came back and said the 2 day was a mistake copied over from another FAQ.