Question on Covid test requirements for entry to Argentina - Altas Ocean crusie to Antarctica

swkrupa78

I was just informed by my TA that Argentina now requires us to provide proof that we need COVID insurance to cover any possible medical expenses and possible quarantine expense in event we get COVID.  I know I can get this through AON.

I addition, I Argentina requires foreign travelers to submit a Covid negative test either a PCR or a Rapid PCR test (not an Antigen test).  My specific question is whether or not Argentina will accept the Rapid Abbot ID Now test that you can get from Walgreens and get turnaround within 24 hrs.  Walgreens has drive up locations where you can take the test in your car and be supervised by a pharmacist.  We have done this several times when we go to Aruba and I believe it is accepted by many foreign countries. 

The Abbott ID Now is a molecular NAAD test -  Nucleic Acid Amplification Test.  Here is an excerpt from the FDA:

"ID NOW COVID-19 assay performed on the ID NOW Instrument is a rapid molecular in vitro diagnostic test utilizing an isothermal nucleic acid amplification technology intended for the qualitative detection of nucleic acid from the SARS-CoV-2 virus in direct anterior nasal (nasal), nasopharyngeal or throat swabs from individuals who are suspected of COVID-19 by their healthcare provider within the first seven days of the onset of symptoms. Testing is limited to laboratories certified under the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments of 1988 (CLIA), 42 U.S.C. §263a,that meet the requirements to perform high, moderate, or waived complexity tests.

The ID NOW COVID-19 test is intended for use by medical professionals or trained operators who are proficient in performing tests using the ID NOW Instrument. The ID NOW COVID-19 test is only for use under the Food and Drug Administration’s Emergency Use Authorization."

Does anyone know if this test is acceptable or do we have to incur the $150 cost to get a PCR test?

Would appreciate your help.  Our cruise with Atlas isn't until Feb 14.  They are going to give us a rapid anitgen test on Feb 13 before board the plane but that test does not meet the Argentina Covid test requirement for entry. I looked on the Argentina website and they do not spell out what PCR tests are acceptable (Aruba website does a great job telling you what they accept and the Abbot Id Now is listed as one).

Many thanks in advance!

Steve K

To further complicate this, the Argentinian Consulate General in New York's  website (https://cnyor.cancilleria.gob.ar/en/covid19-travelling-argentina) updated Nov. 29, 2021 says this:

Get a PCR diagnostic test within 72 hours prior to the start of your trip with a negative result for COVID-19.

Exceptions: Minors under six (6) years of age, carriers and crew, passengers in transit (nationals or foreigners) to other countries with a stay of less than 24 hours in national airports, and those who have presented COVID-19 in the 90 days prior to entering the country, confirmed by laboratory, accrediting the results of the diagnostic tests for SARS-CoV-2 and presenting a letter from a doctor that states that more than ten (10) days have passed since the diagnosis.

This would seem to apply to us since we are not in Argentina longer than 24 hours at either end.  But is this the final word as of now?

And is the RT PCR (rapid test) also acceptable?  I hope Atlas can clarify all of this - we too are on the Feb. 14 voyage.

I'm on the December 19th sailing and just to be safe, I'm booked in for a very expensive 2 hour turn around PCR test. I know someone heading to the Galapagos (with similar Covid protocols) that missed their flight last Saturday to Guayaquil because they opted for the 1-2 day turn around, and her test was delayed. 

Thanks for this - did they by chance say if the test needed to be taken 72 hours from departure (as the US State Dept. says) or 72 hours from arrival (as Atlas says)?  And should we assume that the RT PCR (which gives results in less than 90 minutes) is accepted since it is a PCR test?

I am not certain what the actual time is for when to take the test.  I assumed it was 72 hrs from departure (as that makes the most sense).  Was not aware of what Atlas is saying.  Perhaps someone who is on an earlier sailing can clarify.

With regard to the PCR test, as long as the test results says PCR, I think a RT PCR will be valid.  I am trying to find places here in CT where I can get a PCR for free as I understand they can be quite costly ($150+) if it is not covered by insurance for travel.

On 12/19/2021 at 7:44 PM, swkrupa78 said:

I am not certain what the actual time is for when to take the test.  I assumed it was 72 hrs from departure (as that makes the most sense).  Was not aware of what Atlas is saying.  Perhaps someone who is on an earlier sailing can clarify.

With regard to the PCR test, as long as the test results says PCR, I think a RT PCR will be valid.  I am trying to find places here in CT where I can get a PCR for free as I understand they can be quite costly ($150+) if it is not covered by insurance for travel.

It is within 72 hours *of arrival* in Argentina.  The Ministry of the Interior’s website says, “For their part, non-resident foreign people who enter for tourist reasons must present a complete vaccination schedule, negative PCR 72 hours prior to boarding and COVID-19 health insurance, being exempt from quarantine.”

Keep in mind that there is likely a time zone difference to account for.  World Navigator is scheduled to arrive in Ushuaia at 9:45 AM Ushuaia time, which is 6:45 AM central time where I live.  

References:  https://www.argentina.gob.ar/interior/migraciones/ddjj-migraciones And an email from Atlas.