Texting without WiFi?

Elkins45

When we were on the Celebrity Equinox this summer we could get iMessages even though we didn’t have the Internet package as long as we were logged into the ships network to use their app. Does anyone know if it’s the same on MSC ships, specifically the Meraviglia?

11 hours ago, Elkins45 said:

When we were on the Celebrity Equinox this summer we could get iMessages even though we didn’t have the Internet package as long as we were logged into the ships network to use their app. Does anyone know if it’s the same on MSC ships, specifically the Meraviglia?

I believe not.  The idea is that the MSC for Me app is supposed to have inter-app messaging...but that is currently disabled in order to conserve bandwidth for the contact tracing in the bracelets

Same here. Apparently they cannot block Apple servers without also blocking the App Store, which they want to keep accessible to download the MSC for Me app without a package.

There are a number of oddities in the peculiar way they differentiate between Surf and Stream packages, which can be advantageous if you figure it out.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, publicpersona said:

Same here. Apparently they cannot block Apple servers without also blocking the App Store, which they want to keep accessible to download the MSC for Me app without a package.

There are a number of oddities in the peculiar way they differentiate between Surf and Stream packages, which can be advantageous if you figure it out.

The access to Apple servers is apparently not open on ships where the MSC for Me app is not used (e.g. Divina).