Scuba at Chankanaab Park in Cozumel

Megraz

Has anyone dove with one of the dive shops at Chankanaab?

NCL doesn't have scuba excursions in Cozumel any more 😞 but they do have an excurions for Chankanaab and I saw there are a few dive shops there. What I am wondering is....1) The cruise excursion time frame is 4 1/2 hours, if that enough time to dive there? 2) do the dive shops only offer shore dives or do you sign up there for a boat dive too?

I currently am booked with Cozumelcruiseexcursions.net but this is my first ever cruise and I have a little anxiety about not getting back to port on time!

• Like 1

My understanding of your question is that you're wanting to take the arranged 4.5 hour excursion to Chankanaab Park, then connect with a scuba excursion while on that excursion.  That wouldn't really work, and you'd be spending money unnecessarily. 

While there is shore diving in Cozumel, it's not great.  To dive Cozumel you definitely want a boat dive.  There are countless dive operators there.  Some shops do not work with cruise ship passengers at all, while others almost specialize in cruise guests. 

The best way to dive there is select a dive operator in advance, and make arrangements.  The usual process is to take a taxi from your cruise port to the dive shop to get equipment and paperwork done, then off you go on the boat.  When you make your arrangements, you'll tell the dive shop what time the ship docks and what time you need to be back.  Assuming your ship is in port for a normal port day, you'll have plenty of time.  Typically, you'll get off the ship as soon as you can and get straight to the dive shop, and then you'll be done and back with hours to spare. 

If you peruse this forum here on Cruise Critic you'll find abundant recommendations for shops in Cozumel.  If you have specific questions, my email is in the link below.

Harris

Denver, CO

• 2 months later...

I was on a Carnival Cruise last month.  I prebooked online a shore dive from Chakanaab park.  Honestly I cannot remember about signing up for a boat dive as we dived from the shore.  There was a small cave/cenote and also some underwater statues to explore.  I took a cab to the park and then walked to the far end (go left and keep going after you enter the park).  Since it is still a pandemic, the park was empty and the dive shops i'm sure would love your business.  

• Like 1

I've been happy using Viator to book shore excursions on our own. I like to see reviews and find there is a lot of info on Viator. I think of them kind of like a TA but only for excursions. I agree that it would be a waste of money to book the shore excursion and then additionally a dive boat tour. Although anything can happen, most vendors near cruise ship ports are aware of time constraints. If you're worried, just try to book the earliest time you can with a private vendor to give you some flex time if needed. 

Here are some listings from Viator for diving in Cozumel:

https://www.viator.com/Cozumel-tours/Scuba-Diving/d632-g17-c28901

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2021 at 8:18 AM, omeinv said:

While there is shore diving in Cozumel, it's not great.  To dive Cozumel you definitely want a boat dive. 

Chankanaab has the dive park with like some statues and stuff set up, so it is one of the few places you can shore dive.  I've done shore dives at Cozumel, but not during a cruise.  One of my all time favorites was from the hotel beach just a little north of the international pier (hotel casa del mar) and early evening into night.  We never got deeper than about 20 feet and as night descended millions of little fish (they were translucent and about 2 inches long, not sure what species) came up into the shallows.  The bigger predators came up with them and saw a bunch of squid and things.  Overall a cool dive, but it was well after all the cruise ships had left for the day.

But in general, yeah, the outer reefs and walls are all boat dives 

• 3 weeks later...