MDR reservation with MyTime dining - How important?

AsicFox

Hello! 

It's been at least 10 years since my last cruise, but a deal on the Oasis of the Seas recently caught my eye, and I'm excited to be out at sea again! I chose MyTime dining when I made the reservation, but in the Cruise Planner, I see the option to make nightly reservations in the Main Dining Room. How important is it to have a reservation, as opposed to just showing up sometime 7:30-9P and asking to be seated? I'd like to have flexibility and be spontaneous, but I'd also rather not be waiting around for an hour+ on an empty stomach because I didn't make a reservation.

If there are any other tips for the Oasis from the more experienced cruisers, I'd love to hear em!

2 minutes ago, AsicFox said:

How important is it to have a reservation, as opposed to just showing up sometime 7:30-9P and asking to be seated?

You are taking a chance that the MDR is busy at that time and may have to wait a while for a table. You can make a standing  7:30 booking and then adjust as needed. 

Edited by Biker19
  • Thanks 1

We've never had a problem getting seated without a reservation. Pre-covid there were times we had to wait in line, but probably no more than 10 minutes or so and not at all on our recent cruises. If you want to be safe, you can easily make reservations onboard. 

• Thanks 1

If you want to go to the main dining room during prime hours (which 730-900pm will qualify), definitely make a reservation. Otherwise you may find yourself waiting for a table. 

If you like dining early or late, you shouldn’t need reservation. The last time we cruised with My Time dining, we’d go to the MDR right when it opened without a reservation (around 6:00pm) and we would walk right in without any issues or waits. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, AsicFox said:

Thank y'all! I didn't realize you could make MDR reservations while on-board for the day ahead/of. That sounds like the perfect option for me 🙂

Just realize that by the time you sail there may be few spots to be had at a time you want. Pre COVID or what happened last month may mean nothing by the time you sail. 

My first my time dining experience as well (Anthem).  If you do not make reservations and must wait, do they have a process of letting you walk away from the MDR and contact you when your table is ready?

I wouldn't care if we are waiting and go have a pre-dinner drink away from the dining area.

As far as I am aware, they have no way to contact you once your table is ready, so you may not want to leave unless you're given a time to be back. Maybe we should suggest to RCCL to use those light-up buzzer things that some land restaurants utilize but there's probably a limit on those as to how far you could wander.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AsicFox said:

Must we congregate around the MDR entrance until a table is ready, or can we wander/get a drink/do something other than waiting in a line?

Sometime ago on some ship someone reported a pager system being used for those waiting on MTD table assignments - I don't recall anyone ever confirming anything like that recently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1