Live Solo on Carnival Miracle 5 December mini-review

jeffsnoy

I am doing the 4 day cruise out of Long Beach.  It departed 5 December and we are in Santa Catalina today.  I flew into Long Beach Airport the day of the cruise.  Normally that isn’t a good idea but I paid so little for the cruise a hotel would have cost half the cruise price.  Nice small airport compared to LAX.  I ubered it to the port for less than $30 dollars.  

Arrived about 10AM.  Line of about 50 people waiting to check-in.  They started check-in at 10am.  I went for a walk and arrived back at 1030am for my assigned time.  I was checked-in in about 5 minutes.  They started boarding around 1050am.  I was on board about 11am with a boarding group B01.  As you board they make you go straight to your muster station.  There you are shown how to put on a life jacket and your boarding pass is scanned.  You are supposed to watch a video in your room also.  Very painless muster drill.  Rooms were ready early, maybe around 1230pm.  

I do not know what capacity we are sailing at.  I will try and find out.  I have enjoyed the entertainment.  The food is just OK.  Not impressed.  I just did a cruise on the Celebrity Edge in October and there is no comparison.  Completely different products.  I will try and post again tomorrow in Ensenada.  
Catalina was nice.  Tender operation went smoothly.  I was off at 815am.  They say there may be lines if you depart between 9-11am.  Masks are worn on the tender but not in Avalon unless you are in a store.  I did a hike on the Herman Gulch Trail.  Beautiful views.  

The pictures are from my hike and some Christmas decorations on the ship.

Masks are worn in the elevators and indoor public places.  No one seems to be enforcing mask wear.  Over 95% of the passengers are complying.   

IMG_20211205_173050073.jpg

IMG_20211205_210842562.jpg

IMG_20211206_095352179.jpg

• Like 2

Arrived the morning in Ensenada.  Seals all over the place in the port.  I ate at the main dining room last night.  Prime rib and shrimp were both excellent.  Strange thing this morning , there is no bacon available in the buffet.  The sign said it will return shortly.  Comedians were great last night.  I am enjoying listening to the Polaris Trio.  They are a string trio.  Go see them if you can.  I thought boring violins.  Not boring but amazing music.  The comedian said there were 1200 aboard, I will need to verify.

• Like 1

Thanks for the review so far! On the Miracle for the 2nd time (1st time post refurb!) over NYE! Looking forward to the rest of the review! Any chance to get a copy of the fun times for today in Ensenada and your sea day (I think you still have that)?

Thanks!!!

They are not delivering fun times to your room.  I think it is because of covid.  Everything is on your phone using the carnival hub app.  I miss the paper copy of the fun times.  I will see if it is at guest services.  I have anytime dining and you check-in on your phone.  You are notified when your table is ready so no lines and you walk right in.  I checked-in last night and was notified within 5 minutes that my table was ready.

28 minutes ago, jeffsnoy said:

They are not delivering fun times to your room.  I think it is because of covid.  Everything is on your phone using the carnival hub app.  I miss the paper copy of the fun times.  I will see if it is at guest services.  I have anytime dining and you check-in on your phone.  You are notified when your table is ready so no lines and you walk right in.  I checked-in last night and was notified within 5 minutes that my table was ready.

5 hours ago, jeffsnoy said:

Here is the fun times for ensenada. It's definitely not like it was 2 years ago. You have to go to guest services to get a copy.  Very minimal information they're expecting you to use their app.

IMG_20211207_091508426~2.jpg

IMG_20211207_091517087~2.jpg

Thanks so much!! I note an interesting item I did not see before, they do movies in the Mad Hatter because they don't have the "Dive In" movie screen out on deck. This actually isn't a bad option for the cooler weather and I know that venue is pretty good sized. Hopefully you can grab a sea day one as well! Very helpful!! Looks like lots and lots of trivia which works for me! I did hear they were doing the "Michael's" craft again on some ships and that is a favorite of my wife so curious if that shows up on the sea day. Really do appreciate your help!

Went into Ensenada today.  Carnival asks you to wear a mask inside and outdoors when off the ship.  Many locals were wearing a mask outdoors.  Many businesses have temperature and hand sanitizing stations as you enter.  Some of the businesses have max occupancy limits.  I would see a small line waiting for someone to exit the business before they could enter.  

One other interesting observation is the drink plan.  I bought the soda package for the cruise.  Every time I got a soda I was charged tax from boarding until we sailed from Catalina.  It seems California is collecting taxes on each drink at the going full price rate.  Not a whole lot of money but I didn't like the principle.

I will try and post the day at sea fun times on Thursday.

Here is the Fun Times for the sea day.  

The comedian Doug Williams is very funny.  Best I have seen on a cruise.

Embarkation went very smoothly.  No lines.  We started early and I was off the ship by 8am.  Customs uses facial recognition so no wait to get through customs.  The camera recognizes your face and you are on your way.

IMG_20211208_141550939.jpg

IMG_20211208_141604221.jpg

On 12/7/2021 at 8:49 AM, jeffsnoy said:

I have anytime dining and you check-in on your phone.  You are notified when your table is ready so no lines and you walk right in.  I checked-in last night and was notified within 5 minutes that my table was ready.

Thank you very much.  This is exactly what I wanted to know.  I was not sure if this ability had been rolled-out to the Miracle yet.  I love this feature, it is truly amazing.

Thank you for all the info you provided. We are headed to the port right now to board the Miracle, same itinerary as you. Unfortunately a bit cooler this week and 100% chance of rain on Tuesday. ☹️ We’ve been to Ensenada several times, may not get off the ship. Although hate to miss having a margarita at Hussongs! Looking forward to the comedians on board. One thing that Carnival usually does well.