Surprise upgrade for 12/12

missalexandra

I had a Bella inside cabin and email came this morning, giving me a free upgrade to an obstructed view balcony on deck 8. I already had a single occupancy cabin with two-device internet, drink package and $150 OBC for under $600 all in so I'm pretty happy.

Don't pay a high price for upgrades, they are giving 'em away.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, styles27 said:

That’s awesome! Nothing like a balcony in my opinion! Enjoy!

What ship will you be on?

Meraviglia. I didn't think it was worth doubling the cost of the cruise to book it outright and I had a feeling they might do something like this. 

I may have to book another cruise before the world rights itself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, missalexandra said:

Meraviglia. I didn't think it was worth doubling the cost of the cruise to book it outright and I had a feeling they might do something like this. 

I may have to book another cruise before the world rights itself.

Yes that’s what we just did. Cruised a few weeks ago on Divina and got back and booked Seashore for Jan 8th. 
It’s nice to cruise with so few passengers on board so we wanted to take advantage of that. 
Safe travels to you!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

I may have doomed our chance for surprise update. After cabin was changed to GTY and we were assigned a cabin on deck 5, I called and moved to an open cabin on 10.  Original was on 11, but that is a different category now.  Oh well.  

I was going to call again and get demand to get moved into a cabin but we decided to just wait it out and hope we get an upgrade.  

9 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

I was going to call again and get demand to get moved into a cabin but we decided to just wait it out and hope we get an upgrade.  

First time on MSC, but on every other cruise line we've had a problem with the cabin, they've been able to move us to a better cabin even when sailings have been full.

We aren’t sailing until April and were switched from our selected ocean view to GTY. I’m not calling about room assignment in hopes up being surprised upgraded as well. Fingers crossed 🤞
Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by paceyswife
  • Like 3

On 12/9/2021 at 11:45 AM, missalexandra said:

Just got another email. I've now been moved to a balcony on deck 14 which is also listed as "partial view."  More central location though. I bet the ship is going to be really empty.

Well, my wife and I will be on that boat with you so there will be at least 3 of us! 🙂

We'll be on the Mera the week after you--for Christmas. We booked two Bella balcony cabins, side by side, so are anxiously waiting to see what we will be assigned now that they have made us a guarantee. It appears they are waiting until the last minute to let you know what you have been assigned so you don't have time to complain. Being a holiday week we paid a premium rate for the cabins so it better be good.

3 hours ago, 40yearcruiser said:

We'll be on the Mera the week after you--for Christmas. We booked two Bella balcony cabins, side by side, so are anxiously waiting to see what we will be assigned now that they have made us a guarantee. It appears they are waiting until the last minute to let you know what you have been assigned so you don't have time to complain. Being a holiday week we paid a premium rate for the cabins so it better be good.

That isn't the way I looked at it. I think a lot of people will get upgrades because the ship is so empty and it makes sense to consolidate passengers to be serviced by a small staff rather than scattering them across the ship. It costs no more to put someone in a balcony cabin than it does to put them in an inside cabin, so if the ship is empty, why not encourage loyalty? I think MSC is waiting until the last possible minute in the hope that some people will agree to pay for the upgrades and so they are sure they know what they are working with. 

Of course, this was 100% beneficial for me because I paid a rock bottom price and I am getting dramatically more than I paid for. You paid a premium and they can't offer you anything that will be as big a boost as what I got. You might even end up with cabins you like less than your original ones. +You will probably end up dissatisfied as people who paid a lot less get big rewards. At least with low passenger numbers it should be possible to change your assignment if you don't like it.

13 hours ago, 40yearcruiser said:

I think your side by sides will not be.

I am on a ship now and even my b2b I had to change cabins and I am YC.

They are a disaster lately. People booked Fantastical to choose a cabin and it gets taken away. Defeats the purpose of Fantastical

13 hours ago, 40yearcruiser said:

I would make sure that your reservations are linked, but I fear that you will be separated when the assignments do come down as Bella is 100% guaranty.