Jade sailings in mid Feb to mid March

mertziek

Here is a question that I realize there are no quick answers for but thought I’d ask here to get others’ opinions.  And, yes, I realize no one knows for sure what the answer is other than NCL - if they even know yet.

As of right now all cruises on the Jade for Dec, Jan and up to mid Feb have been canceled due to the Covid situation with South Africa - unable to book anything on her until mid Feb.  There are two cruises that can be booked mid Feb to mid March and then the Jade is supposed to go into dry dock after March 14.  The next available booking on the Jade would then be March 30 so there is definitely a 16 day lapse there.  Several people from the last Jade cruise reported the Jade crew said they were being sent home due to the S. Africa cancelations and also confirmed the dry dock for late March.  We are currently booked on the March 3-14 Jade cruise which includes 3 port visits to Turkey and those are totally up in the air since Turkey has additional restrictions so NCL was not recently stopping/going there.  Any opinions/feelings/rumors you’re hearing about the possibility of these two Jade cruises in Feb/March being canceled?  I’m asking because we are nearing final payment date and are content to try to find something else now to book rather than scrambling last minute to find something else to do.  Thank you in advance for your opinions/perspectives.

You are asking for an opinion, so here is mine.... I would not make final payment on that cruise. I do believe the odds are your sailing will be cancelled. If you don't want to be scrambling, you might be better off booking something that appears more solid (knowing anything can happen). Another option is If you pass on final payment as time gets closer you can rebook. Odds are the price will come down also.

It's such a shame that the entire South Africa season was scrapped over Omicron. I get having to be cautious, but this just shows how precarious all future sailings can be at the risk of a new variant. I mean seriously, the Jade was a few days from heading to CT and BAM!

Oh no 😢. We are booked on the March 3rd sailing as well. We booked a guaranteed room, after our Australia cruise was canceled on the Spirit.  Final payment has already been made and our cabin was assigned a few days ago. Which was a good sign for me. We already booked airfare and hotels.  If this cancels I will just cry. 

As will we... so many tours planned; flights and hotels booked... it would be a major disappointment.  Fingers crossed... she may still go as planned... it's just that these recent developments make things seem a lot more uncertain.

At the least, unless Turkey opens its borders, those ports will need to change...

We plan on sitting tight for now and waiting til final payment to get a better sense of which way the wind is blowing.  At that time, we may have a hard choice to make, sigh.