Tips for enjoying GSC for the Cabana-less

classy_cruiser

I know everyone says the cabana is the greatest thing ever, but we are only 2 people and the smallest cabana size is already sold out on our upcoming cruise. Plus we could pay for some nice excursions in other ports with that money. 

Please tell me your tips for enjoying Great Stirrup cay without a cabana. I would like to have a lounger and umbrella if possible. 

My understanding is that we don't need to bring any money with us because food and beverages are included with the drink package. We are fine with the regular buffet. Do we still need to bring an ID or a towel?  If we can come with just ourselves and our keycard we wouldn't really need to worry about leaving stuff alone somewhere. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, classy_cruiser said:

I know everyone says the cabana is the greatest thing ever, but we are only 2 people and the smallest cabana size is already sold out on our upcoming cruise. Plus we could pay for some nice excursions in other ports with that money. 

Please tell me your tips for enjoying Great Stirrup cay without a cabana. I would like to have a lounger and umbrella if possible. 

My understanding is that we don't need to bring any money with us because food and beverages are included with the drink package. We are fine with the regular buffet. Do we still need to bring an ID or a towel?  If we can come with just ourselves and our keycard we wouldn't really need to worry about leaving stuff alone somewhere. 

We have never "needed" to book/pay for anything extra on GSC.  However, if you do not have priority status (Suite, Latitudes, or booked excursion) you will want to get on the next available tender and upon arrival to GSC head toward the area where the cabanas are.  Hopefully, there, you will be able to find loungers with shade from umbrellas and/or palm trees.  YES, take beach towels off (and back onto) the ship!!!  You might want some cash (for tips? or if you want something from the "straw market).  

• Thanks 1

I would recommend booking a clamshell, probably about $30. You pick which one you would like (find one with mesh in the back for comfort) plus you get priority tendering. Each clamshell has 2 loungers inside.

The buffet is fine and in the past there was a taco truck too. (free)

As mentioned by ggTexasGal, bring cash for tips. Servers will come by and take drink orders, a few $$  means you will not go thirsty!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

One of our ports was at Harvest Caye in Belize back in 2019 (the last time we cruised) we were able to

prebook a clamshell at the excursion desk on the Breakaway.  I would suggest doing this when you get on board.  Not sure of supply and demand these days.

We are cruising on the Encore in 35 days, hoping clamshells are available for Great Stirrup Cay.  I agree Cabana would be nice, but we are also a party of 2.

Does anyone know if clamshells are available at GSC?

Thanks