Formal Nights

BobKat406

Are cocktail dresses (at or slightly below the knee) appropriate for formal nights? Do most women wear full lenght gowns or the shorter dresses? Would like your opinion and why you prefer one over the other. This will be my first cruise (4/8/06 - RCCL Serenade of the Seas) and I'm not quite sure what to expect.

Kathi

Hi there,

We have only been on 4 cruises, (Princess)..but we did see many different types of formalwear on those nights. The great majority of people did indeed dress up, around half the ladies were in long dresses, and the other half were divided into cocktail dresses, dressy pant suits/pants/glittery tops etc.

I myself like the long dresses, they are so feminine, it makes such a change for us to be able to dress up, so we go all out on a cruise to make it very special.

As long as you have a dress you feel good and happy in, you will look great! Do have a wonderful cruise and enjoy!!

Sandra (S&D):)

drink.jpg.52310da5f7dbc50bb1dcd26885990c34.jpg

Just between my mom, grandma and I, we had a long dress (mom), a cocktail length dress (me) and a dressy pants suit (grandma). We all looked formal, so I think it depends on what you feel more comfortable in. That said, I am going to look for a longer dress for my next cruise, just for a change.

Man, Im nervous now! I bought 2 cocktail dresses- just below th eknee. I thought I was doing great- a pair of black strappy sandals to go with both!

Now Im thinking a "bridesmaid" or "Mom of the bride" dress would work better. I think I may feel less dressy next to my dad, hubby & 6yo son in thier tuxes!

Help! Should I keep buying stuff?

Man, Im nervous now! I bought 2 cocktail dresses- just below th eknee. I thought I was doing great- a pair of black strappy sandals to go with both!

Now Im thinking a "bridesmaid" or "Mom of the bride" dress would work better. I think I may feel less dressy next to my dad, hubby & 6yo son in thier tuxes!

What's the style, color and material?

A red thick strap with a V neck and decorated with red beads/sequins around the neck, with a satin droop of material across the upper back;Kinda like a swag. Its very flattering.

The magenta pink has an "X" out of thin straps across the upper chest, narrow dress that kinda flows out just after the knee. Again. kinda hard to explain.

They are both that polyester knit.

No, you'll be fine! You really do see all types of outfits on formal nights - knee length cocktail dresses are perfectly acceptable.

I have a floor length dress for the first formal night and a shorter cocktail dress for the other one.

I wear long dresses for formal nights, cocktail length dresses for semi formal and pants for casual nights.

I have seen quite a few different outfits on formal nights; so really it depends on what you own and what YOU want to wear.

I do the same. My experience on Serenade was that pax were very nicely dressed compared to Voyager class which has gotten more casual.

I think they sound okay for Formal night. There will be people with longer dresses and dressier fabrics, so if you think you'd feel uncomfortable, you could always get a longer dress for formal night and then wear one of your cocktail dresses on the second formal night and another for an informal or even casual night. Personally, I think you'd be okay, but it all depends on how comfortable you'd feel.

You will be OK as long as you feel good in the dresses. We gals tend to dress for other women. I wear something my husband likes and enjoy his smiles. There will be plenty of variety at formal nights. Just relax and enjoy!

I have been on 18 cruises on many different ships. My husband always wears a Tuxedo for formal nights, though he has special shirts he doesn't need to wear a bow tie with for the second formal night. I usually wear cocktail dresses or I have the black split skirt I wear with different sequin or fancy tops. Both look nice in all our pictures. I love the long pants as you don't need to wear nylons and after the feet start hurting I can slip my shoes off to dance.

Just remember, no matter how pretty the dress, if you are uncomfortable you won't enjoy the formal experience.

Wear something you and your husband like and just enjoy:D

Thanks so much for these comments!

I tried the dresses on for him and the smile came over him, so I know he thinks I look good. Guess thats all that matters. He did say go buy something else if I feel I need to! Gott alove him!! I may look for a long dress just in case-

You are right- we do try to "out dress" each other! Thanks!!

You will see long...short...and everything in betweeen. It's definitely just a personal choice. I always wear floor length for formals and more cocktail dress for semi. But, all the above is acceptable. I like wearing my full length since typically at home there's no place to wear those, where as cocktail attire I can typically wear more often.

have a great first cruise...you're going to love it! :)

All the above suggestions are great, and all I can add is the popularity of "car wash" pants (those with panels of filmy fabric that kind of hangs loosely both front and back) with a sparkly top. Very good for mix & match to extend the wardrobe. I wore both black and white pants like that for formal nights with different tops on the world cruise. Just add a fancy top, your sparkly jewels and heels, and you're good for any ball or formal dinner.

Slinkie

Archived