ON GEM NOW

Smileonboard

On 12/27/2021 at 6:38 AM, Smileonboard said:

I boarded the Gem yesterday from NY- I have really found it helpful to read about other’s experiences as I was waiting to cruise. 

I'm sailing out of NYC in March. I actually love sailing out of NYC, but haven't done it in a while. I'm curious... where do they do the testing? I'm being dropped off by a car service so I'm wondering if I should be dropped where I usually would (to hand over my luggage) or go to testing first? Are they done in the same general area? Thanks a billion for your thoughts! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, natefish95 said:

Thanks for your posts! If you get a chance, could you find out if the thermal suite is open or if the free steam room in the gym locker room is open? 

The thermal spa is open - I was in the locker room and didn’t see any signs that anything was closed so I would assume the steam room was open - 

9 minutes ago, Tralfie said:

I'm sailing out of NYC in March. I actually love sailing out of NYC, but haven't done it in a while. I'm curious... where do they do the testing? I'm being dropped off by a car service so I'm wondering if I should be dropped where I usually would (to hand over my luggage) or go to testing first? Are they done in the same general area? Thanks a billion for your thoughts! 

Unless they change the date again, by March testing will be on your own.

1 hour ago, WYB! said:

Hello,

Happy New Year!

What is working out in the gym like?

Thanks,

- WYB

I usually use the gym on cruises but I just had foot surgery so not exercising right now - I passed by a few times and it has been pretty quiet but always a few people working out - 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tralfie said:

The testing is done in pier 90 - the luggage / ship is at pier 88. It’s a short walk. We dropped off our luggage then walked to get tested and back to 88 for check in - most people did the same - there were a few who had their luggage with them at the testing site but if you have a lot of luggage it would be a bit of a hassle - 

Yesterday we were at GSC - it was a beautiful 80 degrees - the tender situation was organized and we didn’t have to wait too long - we had an excursion to swim with the pigs - a fun experience - we had some lunch - and enjoyed the beach. Once back to the ship we followed what has become our evening routine . Trivia - show and dinner - the show was fantastic it was the Chemov brothers - they are acrobats - dancers - drummers - clowns - really entertaining- my favorite show this cruise. The regular show was cancelled - I would guess COVID related as we only had one of the 3 ensemble shows -

Today was a sea day - we did some origami , some family circus fun , shopped a bit and enjoyed a whiskey tasting. We spent some time on the balcony reading - it was another beautiful day , saw the incredible sunset and again trivia - show which was a variety show with magician- Rob Rasner the acrobats  and comedian. Flip Schultz- we had dinner in the fancier dining room since we dressed up a bit for New Years - they had a more upscale menu - the food was good . They had separate parties for New Years but embarrassing as this may be we didn’t make any of them - we stopped by and left before the New Year - we are very early risers and are certainly not night owls - Happy New Years !!!!! 

52894D07-F426-4C24-ACD5-074CA6ABFC4F.jpeg

5672CEA4-1116-46FF-A0CB-67E83891D154.jpeg

• Like 4

We are onboard currently as well!  The captain said there are 1450 guests and 1100 crew on board.  We are in Haven and thoroughly enjoying the quiet and calm.  Everyone who said that the Gem Haven is a waste of money scared me but man oh man is it peaceful here, I just love it.

I agree that almost every passenger is masked up.  It’s pretty easy to avoid those that aren’t.  

I was so, so worried and almost canceled 20 times but honestly right now I feel much safer onboard than at home.  Kinda dreading disembarking tomorrow  and jumping back into COVID soup 🥴

I was just talking to one of the staff members from Indonesia and he said the crew is very worried they’ll have another shutdown and send them all home again.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cruising to Retirement said:

Regarding parking at the Pier, how expensive was it, did  you need to Reserve in advance, was it covered parking and close to where you drop off your luggage at-  Thanks and Stay Safe-  Great commentary during your Cruise-  Thanks. 

It was $240 you can not reserve it is first come first serve but since only one ship was there and lower capacity there was lots of open spaces - we parked on top so no cover - you can go lower with coverage - you actually drop your luggage off when you enter the garage then park so convenient- 

2 hours ago, raitch said:

We are onboard currently as well!  The captain said there are 1450 guests and 1100 crew on board.  We are in Haven and thoroughly enjoying the quiet and calm.  Everyone who said that the Gem Haven is a waste of money scared me but man oh man is it peaceful here, I just love it.

I agree that almost every passenger is masked up.  It’s pretty easy to avoid those that aren’t.  

I was so, so worried and almost canceled 20 times but honestly right now I feel much safer onboard than at home.  Kinda dreading disembarking tomorrow  and jumping back into COVID soup 🥴

I was just talking to one of the staff members from Indonesia and he said the crew is very worried they’ll have another shutdown and send them all home again.  

We also thought about cancelling so glad we didn’t as we have felt so safe - NCL is doing a great job and it has been a great cruise - we have stayed in the Haven before but weren’t sure on the smaller ships so we did suite level which gives all the perks besides the pool area luckily the pool has been so comfortable this cruise - nice and calm and no one on top of you even during the sunny days but so glad your enjoying the courtyard good to know if we do another smaller ship - I spoke to a crew member who said they are instructed not to talk to any passengers about COVID- I had mentioned about the entertainment ensemble having a COVID issue as the shows were cancelled and he said we can’t comment in that - 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Smileonboard said:

It was $240 you can not reserve it is first come first serve but since only one ship was there and lower capacity there was lots of open spaces - we parked on top so no cover - you can go lower with coverage - you actually drop your luggage off when you enter the garage then park so convenient- 

Thank you-  was yours a 7 night cruise or 10... 

7 hours ago, Smileonboard said:

There's only one level for parking at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, and it's uncovered.  As for luggage drop off:  pre-covid, you would park and then take your luggage down (by elevator) to the street level to give whatever you were checking to a porter.  In October, our first cruise since the pandemic began, there were porters up at the parking level to take checked bags as you drove in.   I have no idea how long that system will remain in place. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tralfie said:

By March you will have to test yourself unless it’s extended.  Do not count on testing in the NYC area unless you have an appointment.  It might be due to the surge right now but very few appointments and most are not rapid.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BennyBrun said:

By March you will have to test yourself unless it’s extended.  Do not count on testing in the NYC area unless you have an appointment.  It might be due to the surge right now but very few appointments and most are not rapid.

Under the current policy that goes into effect Feb 1 you can do a medically supervised home test.

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

There's only one level for parking at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, and it's uncovered.  As for luggage drop off:  pre-covid, you would park and then take your luggage down (by elevator) to the street level to give whatever you were checking to a porter.  In October, our first cruise since the pandemic began, there were porters up at the parking level to take checked bags as you drove in.   I have no idea how long that system will remain in place. 

Thanks for  the clarification- this was the first time we parked at the port -I thought it was like a leveled garage - we got one of the first spots so I assumed if we drove we would be at a lower level - my bad 😬 -  we usually take car service so this was new for us - we figured with COVID better to have our own car there - 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Smileonboard said:

We also thought about cancelling so glad we didn’t as we have felt so safe - NCL is doing a great job and it has been a great cruise - we have stayed in the Haven before but weren’t sure on the smaller ships so we did suite level which gives all the perks besides the pool area luckily the pool has been so comfortable this cruise - nice and calm and no one on top of you even during the sunny days but so glad your enjoying the courtyard good to know if we do another smaller ship - I spoke to a crew member who said they are instructed not to talk to any passengers about COVID- I had mentioned about the entertainment ensemble having a COVID issue as the shows were cancelled and he said we can’t comment in that - 

Did you have ports cancelled- ?

7 minutes ago, droundtheworld said:

What are dinner choices available for Haven on the Gem? I'm in the 3 bedroom Garden Villa in October. 

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/gem/whats-on-board/specialty-dining

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/gem/whats-on-board/dining

Or, you could order from almost any of the restaurants and have your butler serve your meal(s) in your suite/or on your sundeck.

(However, you still would need to follow the terms of any Dining Package you might have!)

You have LOTS of time to read-up on how people enjoy their suites!

3 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/gem/whats-on-board/specialty-dining

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/gem/whats-on-board/dining

Or, you could order from almost any of the restaurants and have your butler serve your meal(s) in your suite/or on your sundeck.

(However, you still would need to follow the terms of any Dining Package you might have!)

You have LOTS of time to read-up on how people enjoy their suites!

Thanks ggTexasGal.

I had def looked at what is available on the Gem for general and specialty dining. I thought maybe they had some special arrangement since there isn't a Haven restaurant on board. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, droundtheworld said:

Thanks ggTexasGal.

I had def looked at what is available on the Gem for general and specialty dining. I thought maybe they had some special arrangement since there isn't a Haven restaurant on board. 

Nope, there’s no special dinner option.  Breakfast & lunch only.  But having the butler or courtyard valet bring you anything that is available at any (“complimentary”) restaurant is pretty sweet!  

1 hour ago, raitch said:

Nope, there’s no special dinner option.  Breakfast & lunch only.  But having the butler or courtyard valet bring you anything that is available at any (“complimentary”) restaurant is pretty sweet!  

I don't think any "complimentary" restaurant (wether brought by a butler or not) stands up against the quality of Haven restaurant.

59 minutes ago, droundtheworld said:

I don't think any "complimentary" restaurant (wether brought by a butler or not) stands up against the quality of Haven restaurant.

Then don’t go on a ship without a Haven restaurant 🤷🏻‍♀️ We just got off the Gem and loved every minute of their Haven.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, raitch said:

Then don’t go on a ship without a Haven restaurant 🤷🏻‍♀️ We just got off the Gem and loved every minute of their Haven.

No need to get so snippy. We are both just stating our preferences. I wish NCL had ships out of Venice next Oct that had the full Haven experience, but they don't. 🤷🏼‍♂️