Bathing toddlers???? Please advise me Moms!

headwind

Are you sure that the shower head is stationary? I remember the base being on an adjustable pole that slid up and down, then the head came off the base too.

The other option is to just bring him/her in the shower with you, then hand off to the other parent to dry off while you finish your shower.

A really cheap and inexpensive way....

We took our 2 year old last year on a cruise and purchased a mini-pool at the Dollar Store. It was small and blew up easily, stored easily underneath the bed (didn't have to deflate), and was the perfect size for those little showers. We just used a cup for rinsing him off. For only a buck, we didn't mind leaving it behind after the cruise! I noticed the other day in the Dollar Tree by our house that they already have some summer stuff out. Our son loved it and I would do it again in a heartbeat!

We've taken vacations where there were only showers and had toddlers in tow. We simply brought or bought plastic cups, got the kids wet in the shower pouring water on them, suds them up, and rinsed off. Quick and painless. Why bother bringing inflatables? Too much work in my opinion. But, alas, just my opinion. Kids got clean. Give them a face cloth or towel to protect their face if need be. Didn't bother with the whole bubble bath thing with toys and all since it was vacation. But you all have great ideas if you want to go to all that bother.

I love my duck blow-up tub! My DD also loves the fact that her tub talks (quacks) to her. It's wonderful and fit great into the bottom of the shower. It's a little bulky (isn't most baby stuff?:o ), but lightweight. It was wonderful to know that our routine of a bath around 7:30om wasn't interupted during our cruise. It made it easier for DD to calm down at night and go to sleep. She just loves to "splish-splash"!

I don't know about you, but I have not found an inflatable mini tub in the local dollar store (by the way any Canadians out there). I don't think I want to go through the trouble of looking for one all over town. I agree with LM1.

Too much hassle to bring a mini tub.

Joanne

My husband is not a fan of bathtubs and got our son used to the shower when he was a few months old. Now a toddler (2 years old) he enjoys taking a shower as much as a bath.

I was not too thrilled with the showers at first.

(Don't worry anyone there is always a parent and a non-skid surface in the shower at our house.)

We also have the duck inflatable tub (which would work very well)

but DS is now 35 pounds and 36 inches long!

Enjoy your trip!

I may get flamed, but if you're in a bind; child hates the shower, no blow-up baby tub, etc., just stick him in the sink. Most toddlers don't get really sweaty or dirty on a ship, so a quick sponge off with a little warm water in the sink--with a parent watching really closely so the faucet doesn't get turned to hot--maybe wrap a towel over the faucet--so the child doesn't get scalded or bumped on the faucet. I do this with my grandkids when they need a quick clean-up and they love it. You do have to kind of have three hands! It's even possible to wash hair. Of course this depends on the size of the kid and the size of the sink! Then clean sink really well afterwards. With all the other stuff you have to bring for a baby/toddler, maybe you can leave the baby tub home, at least.

However, all of that said, the best bet is to start showering with your children early, so they don't mind it.

My sons been doing occasional showers with Dad since he was a year old. It was just sometimes necessary when we were traveling. And occasionally when in a hurry at home.

Sometimes you just have to rinse and lather quickly and tag team the job.

Both of my daughters have been doing showers since they were newborns. I just held them in the shower with me until they were able to stand, then held one of their hands and helped wash hair etc. with the other. (I've never thought sitting in your bath water got you very clean) My youngest had a huge phobia about water in her face for a couple years. We used a cup during this time period. Then, I just gave her a rag to cover her face with and kept another close to wipe of any extra drops. I would definitely try it a few times at home first though.

I have two daughter ages 3 and 2. I take them in one at a time with me when I shower. When one is done ,husband gets her dried off while I'm in with the other. I just hold them to get the shampoo out, otherwise its so easy to rinse off. I think its much easier than bringing the inflatable. Did that when they were 1.5 years and 6mos. Used it once.

Archived