Onboard Riviera Jan. 4

Nymich

2 hours ago, pilgrimage said:

True - although I found masking to be very prevalent on our cruse.  In Terrace grill, the staff was adamant about people putting their masks back on when coming back to the buffet if they forgot while leaving their table.  Of course, once seated (anywhere there was food or drink), it was wheels off.

People seemed to handle it very well all through the cruise.  Although we had a disturbing encounter when disembarking in Miami and waiting in line for the port elevator to take us down from the gangway level to the customs level.  A couple was *extremely* adamant about limiting the number of people in the large elevator, but people behind were having none of that - there was just the one elevator and a line building up.  Once in the elevator, there was a bit of a shouting match, including some f-bombs and a passive-aggressive threat of physical violence (i.e. "someone is about to get their f-ing head bashed", or words very close to that effect).  I think there was some pent-up frustration all around.  Never saw anything like that onboard, however.

The extremely long line waiting for the single elevator down to the street level at POM was terrible! I elected to carry down the stairs myself my 50-pound suitcase, heavy carryon sized luggage and large personal bag. Descending one flight of stairs wound round and round as the ceiling height on the ground floor seemed like it was 3 stories tall. My back was in bad shape for weeks after I arrived home, but at least I was home! 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Plenty of social distancing here in the GDR.  Maybe because they close in 15 minutes.

16414893907357500975198670502436.jpg

Hi, we are due to travel to Miami from the UK on 1/12/22 and are determined noting except catching covid will prevent us! We love the Riviera but were just wondering if the ship looking so empty has spoiled any of your enjoyment? Does the ship look deserted at all the venues? 

One thing that I really appreciated onboard was the display on the in-room TV with all of the days menus - something that I had not seen on my previous cruises with X and Princess (maybe that has changed in the past 3 years).  Made it very easy to decide if we wanted GDR/Terrace/Waves, even with the lunch/breakfast menus for Terrace/GDR.  I wish they would provide a download of *all* menus for our cruise (as a PDF, or whatever) to look back on, since I usually forgot to take a photo of the menu before heading in.

Speaking of Waves - the first 2 or 3 days, they had a special grill station setup next to the regular Waves grill area with a daily special.  Beef kabobs, Jambalaya, etc. - usually some grilled meat with a rice/vegetable side.  Great flavors when I tried them, but then they stopped doing it.  Not sure if they had a problem with the grill or some other reason to shut it down.  Curious if it is back online now.

13 minutes ago, amber1002 said:

Hi, we are due to travel to Miami from the UK on 1/12/22 and are determined noting except catching covid will prevent us! We love the Riviera but were just wondering if the ship looking so empty has spoiled any of your enjoyment? Does the ship look deserted at all the venues? 

I guess it's personal preference.  We like the reduced capacity.  Safety, short lines and a relaxing atmosphere are just some of the good things imo

People still dine together but I imagine many more have joined the table for 2 crowd.

37 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Plenty of social distancing here in the GDR.  Maybe because they close in 15 minutes.

16414893907357500975198670502436.jpg

You had to literally be sitting directly next to my wife and I. We were there at the window seat above the engines at like noon or something.

13 minutes ago, pilgrimage said:

One thing that I really appreciated onboard was the display on the in-room TV with all of the days menus - something that I had not seen on my previous cruises with X and Princess (maybe that has changed in the past 3 years).  Made it very easy to decide if we wanted GDR/Terrace/Waves, even with the lunch/breakfast menus for Terrace/GDR.  I wish they would provide a download of *all* menus for our cruise (as a PDF, or whatever) to look back on, since I usually forgot to take a photo of the menu before heading in.

Speaking of Waves - the first 2 or 3 days, they had a special grill station setup next to the regular Waves grill area with a daily special.  Beef kabobs, Jambalaya, etc. - usually some grilled meat with a rice/vegetable side.  Great flavors when I tried them, but then they stopped doing it.  Not sure if they had a problem with the grill or some other reason to shut it down.  Curious if it is back online now.

Haven’t seen that at all.

10 minutes ago, AlexCherie said:

You had to literally be sitting directly next to my wife and I. We were there at the window seat above the engines at like noon or something.

We got there at 1:15 and just left. We are going to Concierge deck in about a half hour if you want to say Hi.

22 minutes ago, ohmark said:

Have any of you tried the evening entertainment?

We listened to the Singer last night and she was good.  The first night they had a whats to come type show.

Tonight is one of the production shows called

Lights, Camera, Music.

23 hours ago, Nymich said:

They will direct you to the testing tent.  It is next to the terminal.  When you get the email register with them and have your barcode/s.  They probably can register you too but we didn't want the hassle so we just did it.  What's 101 hoops to jump through when you are already jumping through 100?

Thanks, Nymich, how soon in advance did you get the e-mail to register?  We're sailing on the 14th, eight days from now.

1 minute ago, GeorgesGal said:

Thanks, Nymich, how soon in advance did you get the e-mail to register?  We're sailing on the 14th, eight days from now.

We got it about 4 or 5 days before.  You should get it soon click on hyperlink and register and have barcodes for each Guest.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GeorgesGal said:

I just double checked my email and I did get the O email with the Eurofin link 5 days before sailing.

Sorry I was lazy earlier and kind of guessed.  I'm on a cruise!

Edited by Nymich
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Encouraging (sort of) in that it’s not the “sorry, but” email.

I just talked to GM and the plan is to cruise on the 14th but the ports as was the case with this one are all up in the air.  We got our new schedule by email ONE DAY prior so my guess is we can plan for the same with Jan 14th.  All subject to change obviously. 

25 minutes ago, espmass said:

I apologize too.  I am so interested in everything you are posting since I get on 2/7 if no postponement is offered.  I'd be very interested in knowing whether the gym is open and whether the lounges for the Concierge and Suites are open.  Thanks for all your information!

I do know the gym is open.  Both Suite and Concierge are also open.

• Like 2

If everyone wants to trash each other that's fine with me.  I am onboard and willing to help but you don't get both.  I'm not going to be on vacation sorting through opinions and insults.  Your Call. 

Host Jazz any help cleaning out the opinions and insults is appreciated.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2022 at 2:15 PM, Nymich said:

Check In was pretty smooth for what they have to deal with.  Whole thing from arrival to boarding took about 45 minutes which included the test.  They do the swab you go over look at a bingo type screen and when your number is shown you yell BINGO!  Just kidding when that number is shown you can check in.

Are they checking luggage before you enter terminal? If you do test positive is your luggage already being loaded. Mama told me don't sweat the small stuff but I just can't help it. Thanks!

@AlexCherie

Like I mentioned the other day. Red Ginger dining is OUTSTANDING. After the Miso Glazed sea bass, next time you are in RG, if you like lamb, the Rack of Lamb cooked Medium, is by far the best lamb in any restaurant on the ship. Years ago the Restaurant Manager, Boris, turned me on to it when he ordered it for our table. When we are dining with friends, now we always order it for the table and cut the entre into 4 pieces so everyone can taste and enjoy it. 👍🤪

Ciao, Mauibabes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1