Onboard Riviera Jan. 4

Nymich

9 minutes ago, annaproblemma said:

I am so happy to find this post!  My sister and I are going on the Marina Feb 1 from Panama.  They just switched ships on us yesterday.  We originally were on the Sirena.  We hopefully will get a comparable room.  We've never sailed Oceania before, but many other cruise lines.  All the information I'm reading on this is so very helpful!   Thank you!

You will find that the rooms on Marina are much larger and beautifully appointed - you are in for a real treat

5 hours ago, Nymich said:I wanted to do this thread because of the CDC thing that came down. I thought some may be interested or concerned.  Obviously 26k views later in one week, that proved to be an accurate assessment. My goal has been and will be the next 3 days to be non political and just share what O is doing and communicating.

I would like to add my thanks to @Nymichfor taking the time to share his onboard experience with everyone. It has definitely helped ease my anxiety about not canceling our February 7th cruise (even though most of our friends & family think we are crazy to go). We have not been to any of the scheduled ports on our cruise and I’m not sure I would be thrilled with 12 sea days so I am hopeful that someone else on the January 14th and January 28th cruises can keep us apprised of itinerary changes, COVID outbreaks etc. Four weeks is a long time ~ hopefully things will continue to get better. @Nymich enjoy the rest of your trip!

• Like 1

Ready for the Comedian stuffed from the Polo.  Consumption of drinks is not allowed in the Riviera Lounge and masks are required announcement just made.

First two rows blocked off every night.

16419505777802022429022985138769.jpg

Edited by Nymich
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Yes this Captain is a real Pro.  I also like his transparent straight forward approach.  I will never forget the other day when he was mentioning the protocols and in his own way let us know that this was "his Ship!"

No wonder our captain runs a great and safe ship! Can’t wait to be there….just a few more days

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kitty9 said:

During our Feb/March 2020 cruise on Riviera, we also had a man who was evacuated to Puerto Rico with “illness”.  After making many inquiries about the reason for the evacuation, we were told it was a heart problem.  Well guess what?  While waiting for our flight home, there was the man on CBS News being interviewed about his Covid case and his evacuation from Riviera.  A couple of days later, we got an email admitting there was Covid on our cruise and to take appropriate steps for isolation. Can’t believe everything you’re told during times like this. 

True….cant believe all you hear, but medical privacy is huge.  

I also want to post a thank you to Nymich for all the wonderful information.  Loved your posts and your information has been more than valuable in helping me to become familiar with the ship.  I still hope to postpone our 2/7 cruise but if I do, we will reschedule on the Riviera so your information will  be of great help.  Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

• Like 1

Puerta Plata Taino Bay just cancelled.  Always s***ks when you cancel a port but the weather isn't going to allow us in so all we can do is wave goodbye when we never even really met.  

We are due to be back here next week on the next cruise.

20220112_075842.jpg

So we are finishing up made 4 out of 5 ports.  I guess with all the covid everywhere we did better than most.

I do not have any facts about covid on the Ship (nor do I think anyone does)but there are two cabins on my floor that I KNOW of that have been quarantining.  I do not know whether they have covid or are close contacts.  One is right next door to us.  

These quarantine cabins are not new it has been going on several days now.  I asked my source about covid and they said "covid is everywhere."  Meaning everywhere in the World. 

Still safer here.........imo.  That's all I know and it's been this way all week with the 2 cabins.  The protocols seem to be working well.

I refuse to participate in rumours and sensationalism.  This is what I KNOW and  people can choose to cruise.....or not.  These 2 cabins were NOT taken off the Ship to quarantine so that leads me to believe the med evac in St Maarten was probably not covid.  My source told me we would quarantine here on the Ship if ever needed.  We were told this a week ago.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

It’s very helpful to know that they are quarantined in their original cabin. Some of the stories about other cruise lines has indicated that passengers testing positive has had to move cabins to ones with port holes not balconies.  I think we could handle quarantine in our balcony cabin.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, catgirl411 said:

It’s very helpful to know that they are quarantined in their original cabin. Some of the stories about other cruise lines has indicated that passengers testing positive has had to move cabins to ones with port holes not balconies.  I think we could handle quarantine in our balcony cabin.  Thanks for sharing.

I think the thing to bear in mind is that is how THIS cruise has been handled.  Going forward this might change but I agree with you it gave us the same piece of mind you so accurately described. 

I think Oceania could give us all some piece of mind but at least letting us know that their preference would be to allow quarantined passenger to stay in the cabin they booked, if at all possible. I understand that circumstances may change but a statement of their preferred intention would be very welcome.  We are booked on the Jan 28th sailing and have been wavering back and forth about cancelling. Even though it seems that a number of people have been able to cancel and get future cruise credits, it very likely means that the cruise you apply the credits to will e more expensive. So for us the choice is a) cancel and receive FCCs (hopefully), foregoing  a trip we’ve been pining for and pay more to replace it or B) risk a positive test and a quarantine. Hence knowing as much as possible about quarantine is a key decision point.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, catgirl411 said:

I think Oceania could give us all some piece of mind but at least letting us know that their preference would be to allow quarantined passenger to stay in the cabin they booked, if at all possible. I understand that circumstances may change but a statement of their preferred intention would be very welcome.  We are booked on the Jan 28th sailing and have been wavering back and forth about cancelling. Even though it seems that a number of people have been able to cancel and get future cruise credits, it very likely means that the cruise you apply the credits to will e more expensive. So for us the choice is a) cancel and receive FCCs (hopefully), foregoing  a trip we’ve been pining for and pay more to replace it or B) risk a positive test and a quarantine. Hence knowing as much as possible about quarantine is a key decision point.

I get it I really do. I found it impossible to get alot of answers on land.  It's the main reason I wanted to do this thread and at least explain what is going on TODAY. 

The problem is these things, as we all know, can change in minutes but at least it is "some" information to try to make good decisions.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cruze4Ever said:

Are private excursions allowed or just Oceania excursions?  Thanks 🙂

It depends on the Island and what THEY allow and of course those countries can change protocols depending on where things stand.  Not on this cruise but in the last 3 cruises we did the Cruise line didn't know until as late as the day of arrival.  I booked 3 excursions with O on the next cruise because I wanted to pay extra lol to do an excursion.  Now I can see we may not even go there!  If ports are a priority it is tough to schedule anything either you might not go there or they may only allow certain things depending on the islands.  I used to think it was all the Cruise Lines rules.  I don't really think that anymore.  I think it is more what the Island desires.  Which leads us back to the same crazy situation that rules and protocols can change in minutes let alone daily.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cruze4Ever said:

Are private excursions allowed or just Oceania excursions?  Thanks 🙂

As Nymich said - it can change from day to day, but on my 12/23 cruise, none of the ports had restrictions.  I was able to roam freely once on shore, so I assume private excursions would be fine as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pilgrimage said:

As Nymich said - it can change from day to day, but on my 12/23 cruise, none of the ports had restrictions.  I was able to roam freely once on shore, so I assume private excursions would be fine as well.

Refundable private excursions at a minimum imo.

20 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If you’re ever in NYC, dine at Soccarat (the original is in Chelsea).

Thank you for posting this. That looks like a restaurant DW & I would enjoy during our NYC visit in September before boarding Insignia.

For those on the 1/14 we should get an email tomorrow if the schedule has changed.  For this cruise we got it Jan. 3rd the day before...... totally revamped.  That is how tight of a window O and other lines have with dealing with ports or potential replacement ports.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Nymich said:

It depends on the Island and what THEY allow and of course those countries can change protocols depending on where things stand.  Not on this cruise but in the last 3 cruises we did the Cruise line didn't know until as late as the day of arrival.  I booked 3 excursions with O on the next cruise because I wanted to pay extra lol to do an excursion.  Now I can see we may not even go there!  If ports are a priority it is tough to schedule anything either you might not go there or they may only allow certain things depending on the islands.  I used to think it was all the Cruise Lines rules.  I don't really think that anymore.  I think it is more what the Island desires.  Which leads us back to the same crazy situation that rules and protocols can change in minutes let alone daily.

Thanks so much and keep on enjoying the cruise and all of the wonderful food!

• Like 1