Being a Potter, not a steelworker

AlexCherie

We planned our flight out, early on January 3 at 5:30 AM Buffalo to Miami for a sail on the 4th. Given that we live in Buffalo we are no strangers to airport issues. But I was hopeful, having planned a special surprise for my wife with a luxury hotel, a visit to the Van Gogh exhibit, and a fine Cuban meal. Everything was in order and I checked flights the day before, all good. This Oceania trip was meant to be special, to make up for a two year period that included death, the destruction of a home, loss of pets. And being a finance professional a certain amount of angst regarding the marketplace.

The cab was arranged for 3:40 pickup, we were up at 3:15 and when the cab hadn’t been routed to us by 3:30 we were concerned. Sure enough, flights cancelled - all of them to Miami, and from surrounding airports including the next day. 

By 4:30 our road trip began. Beyond the frequent stops to relieve our bladder and fill the bladder of our Pathfinder we went down the East Coast for 18 hours straight to the FlGA border. Good time, really. We got close to Miami and found the I95 had been closed, but traffic not re-routed at all twice. GPS and Waze were no help and these two delays pushed us back to a 2:30 AM arrival. 

Of course come to find out our friends were worried about us - it turned out the I95 had seen several issues, and some passengers stranded for more than half a day. We blindly avoided it. 

The people that particularly would find themselves on this post … we know we are blessed. Sometimes you just get b!tch-slapped upside your head and God says WTFU. 

So when we found out our ports had changed from St. Barts to St. Thomas, it went down with a spoonful of sugar. And thankfully, Oceania stepped up and has made this  a special moment. 

• Like 7

It sounds as if you managed to make it all work, though the drive would certainly have been a less-than-optimal choice, but sometimes we do what we have to do.  Your cruise should be great, and here's to hoping all goes well for your time on board.  Things are getting dicey in South America, but hopefully the Caribbean will be as warm and wonderful as always.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 6:05 AM, AlexCherie said:

We planned our flight out, early on January 3 at 5:30 AM Buffalo to Miami for a sail on the 4th. Given that we live in Buffalo we are no strangers to airport issues. But I was hopeful, having planned a special surprise for my wife with a luxury hotel, a visit to the Van Gogh exhibit, and a fine Cuban meal. Everything was in order and I checked flights the day before, all good. This Oceania trip was meant to be special, to make up for a two year period that included death, the destruction of a home, loss of pets. And being a finance professional a certain amount of angst regarding the marketplace.

The cab was arranged for 3:40 pickup, we were up at 3:15 and when the cab hadn’t been routed to us by 3:30 we were concerned. Sure enough, flights cancelled - all of them to Miami, and from surrounding airports including the next day. 

By 4:30 our road trip began. Beyond the frequent stops to relieve our bladder and fill the bladder of our Pathfinder we went down the East Coast for 18 hours straight to the FlGA border. Good time, really. We got close to Miami and found the I95 had been closed, but traffic not re-routed at all twice. GPS and Waze were no help and these two delays pushed us back to a 2:30 AM arrival. 

Of course come to find out our friends were worried about us - it turned out the I95 had seen several issues, and some passengers stranded for more than half a day. We blindly avoided it. 

The people that particularly would find themselves on this post … we know we are blessed. Sometimes you just get b!tch-slapped upside your head and God says WTFU. 

So when we found out our ports had changed from St. Barts to St. Thomas, it went down with a spoonful of sugar. And thankfully, Oceania stepped up and has made this  a special moment. 

Good for you....   Looking back is not too helpful, Looking forward is...  that's why  in, a car, the rear view mirror is so small and the  windshield is so large....  Better days always await.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 9:05 AM, AlexCherie said:

We planned our flight out, early on January 3 at 5:30 AM Buffalo to Miami for a sail on the 4th  

Had no idea of your ordeal. Glad you made it and hope this cruise is all you had hoped it would be. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, molemaui said:

Had no idea of your ordeal. Glad you made it and hope this cruise is all you had hoped it would be. 

Thank you so much for all the kindness offered, @molemaui. 

We have been blessed beyond measure, long before we set foot on this ship. When it’s said and done you just don’t know what is inside someone else’s shoes, right?

And the time here has outweighed expectations, at least half due to fellow passengers. Looking forward to meeting you on Sunday morning!

• Like 1