Flora cruisers are getting quite the show today

DrKoob

If you are or have been on Flora, this may interest you. The largest volcano in the Galapagos erupted last night. It is Wolf Volcano on Isabella. No major damage yet but sadly the almost extinct pink iguanas (there are only 200 of them left) are in the same area. The are for reference for those of us who have been there. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 12.43.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 12.43.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 12.43.49 PM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We are booked on a cruise (the second largest ship) for 30 April.   Looking forward to the cruise and seeing the volcano.   We did a land tour of Iceland in July and there was at least one active volcano there.   We didn't see it up close.

6 hours ago, jmlh said:

Thanks for sharing.  We were fortunate to see a couple of the pink flamingos when we visited the Galapagos.  Hopefully they will survive this eruption.

No real danger to pink flamingos. The danger is to the 211 surviving pink iguanas. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 2.42.38 PM.png

• Like 1

Fear not:

Quito, Jan 7 (EFE).- The pink land iguanas of Ecuador’s Galapagos archipelago, a species only endemic to the northwestern slopes of Isabela Island’s Wolf Volcano, are far from the zone of its latest eruption and not currently under threat.

The Galapagos National Park Directorate (GNPD) made that assessment in a statement, saying that no additional measures are needed to protect that critically endangered lizard (Conolophus marthae).

The GNPD’s director, Danny Rueda, said that a survey flight of the area on Friday determined that lava from the eruption was flowing toward an area south of the Wolf Volcano’s crater.

“This means that our emblematic populations such as turtles, (the Galapagos) land iguana and especially the pink iguana are away from the flow of lava that could in some way affect their populations,” he said.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if you can carry things like granola bars or cheese crackers in your carry on?   I know they have dogs sniffing luggage for fruits etc and I'm aware that is not allowed but are sealed granola bars Ok to carry?  Also do they provide a hair dryer in the rooms like normal cruises?  Thanks for any information you can give.  Also I'm still hoping to get some feedback on Machu Picchu from anyone who has gone recently since they started up again after the pandemic.   I know people have gone but guess no one seems to be on Cruise Critic.  We leave in a couple weeks.  We're doing the 10 day flora and post cruise Machu Picchu.  Also I thought I saw some recent posts from people who had just gotten back from the trip but now I can't find them.   Is there another more recent thread for cruising on Flora?   It's sometimes hard to find on Cruise Critic Boards.   Thanks!    Dee Dee

6 hours ago, Abbeydd said:

Does anyone know if you can carry things like granola bars or cheese crackers in your carry on?   I know they have dogs sniffing luggage for fruits etc and I'm aware that is not allowed but are sealed granola bars Ok to carry?  Also do they provide a hair dryer in the rooms like normal cruises?  Thanks for any information you can give.  Also I'm still hoping to get some feedback on Machu Picchu from anyone who has gone recently since they started up again after the pandemic.   I know people have gone but guess no one seems to be on Cruise Critic.  We leave in a couple weeks.  We're doing the 10 day flora and post cruise Machu Picchu.  Also I thought I saw some recent posts from people who had just gotten back from the trip but now I can't find them.   Is there another more recent thread for cruising on Flora?   It's sometimes hard to find on Cruise Critic Boards.   Thanks!    Dee Dee

Hi Dee Dee!

First, they did not sniff us so I am not sure but they really tell you and emphasize (and once you are there you will understand why) that you not take any food onto Flora or even onto the flight to Baltre. Please don't. They will give you food on the plane and once you are onboard Flora, they will feed you VERY well. 

And YES, there are really great hair dryers in the staterooms. In fact I can't think of anything that wasn't in our stateroom. 

Lastly, sorry I can't help with Machu Picchu as we were on the first cruise after the pandemic lessened and we weren't allowed to go there or even into Quito.

Have an awesome time (I know you will). It's the most amazing adventure. We are going again in 2024 and can't wait.

Jim

• Like 1

Thanks Jim,  I wasn't planning on taking a bunch of snacks just a couple granola bars for sitting around in the airport or when needed in a pinch.  😃  I remember reading somewhere that the sockets in the rooms on Flora are minimal.   Some said we should take adapters.  Can you make any suggestions for that?  Were the flippers the full heel or the open heel style?  Did the snorkels have 2 vents (top and bottom) or  1 at the bottom?   We are taking our full wetsuits because we have heard that the water is pretty chilly.   Any other suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.  We're in the packing mode.  Thanks for your help.     Dee Dee