Luggage allowance on Viking flights (UK)

uktog

I wonder if I could have some guidance on this one.

We have included flights from the UK to AMS and on to Bergen with KLM in March.  I have the flight locator reference and if I go on to KLMs website it shows that no baggage has been purchased, its hand baggage only but also does not give me the option to add checked in luggage to the ticket.  Actually KLM has now added one bag between the two of us based on my status, our hope was we would have three bags given the winter gear etc.

I called Viking and they said it was "an integration issue and of course we would have one case each"  I was ok about that until I read someone on a roll call describe their trip and there was mention that Viking had booked them hand luggage only fares from London to Bergen.  Looking at KLMs website, this has generated a saving of only £40 for Viking 

I am looking for advice here, is it possible Viking would book hand luggage only fares and if so how do I go about adding paid for bags?  If they have booked HBO fares it is a black mark in my book as the reasonable expectation where included cruise fares include scheduled flights is that the passenger would be have a one case luggage allowance.  Given all the other things I read about dumb information from the phone reps (the gentleman was UK based) I am wondering is he right or was it a fairy story

My cruise is not until March so I do have a little time to sort this out.  

2 hours ago, uktog said:

I wonder if I could have some guidance on this one.

We have included flights from the UK to AMS and on to Bergen with KLM in March.  I have the flight locator reference and if I go on to KLMs website it shows that no baggage has been purchased, its hand baggage only but also does not give me the option to add checked in luggage to the ticket.  Actually KLM has now added one bag between the two of us based on my status, our hope was we would have three bags given the winter gear etc.

I called Viking and they said it was "an integration issue and of course we would have one case each"  I was ok about that until I read someone on a roll call describe their trip and there was mention that Viking had booked them hand luggage only fares from London to Bergen.  Looking at KLMs website, this has generated a saving of only £40 for Viking 

I am looking for advice here, is it possible Viking would book hand luggage only fares and if so how do I go about adding paid for bags?  If they have booked HBO fares it is a black mark in my book as the reasonable expectation where included cruise fares include scheduled flights is that the passenger would be have a one case luggage allowance.  Given all the other things I read about dumb information from the phone reps (the gentleman was UK based) I am wondering is he right or was it a fairy story

My cruise is not until March so I do have a little time to sort this out.  

Have you checked My Viking Journey (the Air tab).  On our MVJ, there is a link that shows your luggage allowance for international flights (pdf attached).  At least for US international flights, KLM allows 1 checked bag and 2 carry ons with no fee.  UK flight allowances could be different.

2021_US_AIR_AirLuggageFee_11.3v2.pdf

Thanks, I have looked there and it is exactly the same document, so we are showing the same checked in luggage.  That does give me some comfort, though I would prefer to see this replicated on the booking on KLM site.  Maybe I was doing the UK agent a dis service doubting them

5 minutes ago, uktog said:

...would prefer to see this replicated on the booking on KLM site.  

We're on Lufthansa and our booking on the LH website also doesn't provide information on our luggage allowance (at least I can't find it).  I'm taking a copy of Viking's luggage allowance policy just in case a LH agent wants to charge us at check-in. 

9 minutes ago, Moonlion said:

We're on Lufthansa and our booking on the LH website also doesn't provide information on our luggage allowance (at least I can't find it).  I'm taking a copy of Viking's luggage allowance policy just in case a LH agent wants to charge us at check-in. 

If I recall correctly from our November 2021 cruise, the luggage allowance of 1 bag/passenger did not show up until our flights were actually ticketed.

5 minutes ago, JeriGail said:

If I recall correctly from our November 2021 cruise, the luggage allowance of 1 bag/passenger did not show up until our flights were actually ticketed.

Our flights are definitely ticketed.  We leave in 14 days.

I am flying Bergen to London on Norwegian , booked by Viking, in March and have got very conflicting information about the baggage allowance.   Viking told me I checked bag 20kg, one overhead bag and one underseat bag ( combined weight of both 10kg) per person.  The fare type on the confirmation from Viking would indicate it is one of the lowest you can get and so has restricted allowances. 

As the booking is now ticketed Norwegian have sent me a 2 page confirmation, page 1 shows I have 1 checked bag at 23kg, overhead and underseat bag per person but page 2 shows no overhead bag, very confusing to say the least. 

I have booked and paid for an extra checked bag via my agent as with camera gear, winter gear  and something to wear on the boat I am concerned that I would be over the limit and Norwegian charge considerably more at the airport if you turn up with an extra bag.

As an aside I have also paid to select my seat on the flight so should have extra leg room.

Not used to these extra charges as with the other luxury cruise line I regularly sail with this has never been an issue.

Edited by seaquay
Typo
  • Like 1

We have taken 2 Viking booked trips from the UK into Europe on KLM, the most recent in 2019 being the same routing as yours, going via Amsterdam to Bergen. All in economy.

The short answer is that in this case (pun intended 😁) the response you got from Viking was correct and their contract with KLM does include one piece of checked baggage for each passenger.

In fact I did have a similar question before we made our first trip but directed my enquiry to KLM.

At that time it was a KLM agent who gave me completely incorrect information with the result that I paid for 2 pieces of baggage via their website when I need not have done so. Shortly afterwards I discovered the standard arrangement mentioned above for checked baggage that Viking have with KLM. Fortunately, I had made a note of the name of the agent at KLM that gave me the misinformation and the date/ time of the call. After talking to a manager in KLM's CallCenter, I not only had the baggage charge refunded but was given free seat selection on all the flights as compensation for the mistake.

Apart from that one issue which was quickly and satisfactorily resolved we have been extremely happy with KLM, they even give free alcoholic drinks 🍷and snacks in economy!!

Have a fabulous trip!

Edited by photopro2
removed blank space
  • Thanks 1

Similarly I flew on Viking arranged air on Swissair in October and had the same indication on the Swissair site that I had not checked baggage included but we did. No problem checking the authorized bags (different airline I know, but just to provide some comfort). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1