Findings: Cell Phone Service While Cruising

GMoney

I wanted to share what I've learned recently about using cell phones on RCI ships. There are been many posting on the subject, and a lot of info floating around, and there seem to be more questions than answers. Below is a summary of my findings, including online research and actual experience, in case they help. Please note that I am not an expert on any of this, and your results may vary. Please note I don’t endorse any certain company or plan; I’m just sharing info and experiences about my cell phone use while cruising. Good luck!

Existing cell phone situation: Verizon service with Motorola V710 phone. Verizon does not offer internatl service; the most they do for you is offer you a global phone for rent.

Challenge: Cruising for 3 weeks on Voyager of the Seas (1/28 – 2/18), and needed reliable cell phone access for business.

Solution: I knew from various sources that Cingular has cell towers on select RCI ships. Their website states the towers are on Navigator and Majesty only and Cingular simply repeats this when calling. The original press release about Cingular cell tower installation from late 2004 states towers should be installed on all RCI ships by late 2005. Knowing RCI, I was willing to bet that the towers were installed, and that their information was just not updated. Given that, and the fact that I cruise often, I was willing to get a Cingular phone and give it a try. (The Cingular website was updated on 2/6 to show Explorer and Voyager, after my sail date).

BTW, RCI is just as clueless about cell service on their own ships, and admit as much. They have, however, produced a new pamphlet with some helpful information; I saw it on Voyager, but failed to bring it home. In short, don’t call RCI looking for a wealth of information.

http://cruises.about.com/od/cruisenews/a/041203celebrity.htm

My other choice it seemed was to get an internatl cell phone. The cost seemed reasonable, but there were too many unknows, so I passed. You can get more info at

http://www.mobalrental.com/.

From research on Cingular’s site, I knew I needed 3 things to use a cell phone at sea:

1. Cingular service. Note that you have to have a regular plan with them.

2. Internatl Roaming with Cingular. This is what enables you to be able to call from outside the US. You cannot get internatl roaming with a prepaid phone, so that option is not available. This is an extra feature that you must purchase and activate by calling Cingular. Don’t confuse it with Internal Long Distance.

3. A GSM phone. This is a specific type of phone. I was told I needed either a GSM tri-band or quadband GSM phone. Apparently these are unique cell phone frequencies.

I also opted for the Cingular World Travel program, which gives you discounted rates if you pay a flat $6 monthly fee. It’s good if you will be talking for extended time period. With or without the World Traveler plan, rates vary depending on where you place the call from.

Prices are broken down on the Cingular site. Costs on the ship are $1.69 /minute ($2.49 / min if you are not on the World plan).

I was on a short timeline, so I called Cingular and purchased my phone and service. They FedEx’d my phone overnight to my house for a $14 fee (I selected the Nokia 6012, which came at no charge). When I received my phone, I called Cingular to activate my standard service, then they transferred me to a separate are to enable Internatl Roaming, then they transferred me to a third area to enroll in the World Traveller plan.

Cingular CS was generally good. There information is not always consistent, and I was hung up on once, but they seem to make an effort.

http://cingular.com/customer_service/cingular_world

http://onlinestorez.cingular.com/travelguide/coverage/cruise_ships_rates.jsp?PIDL=IRSD|IRWT

http://onlinestorez.cingular.com/travelguide/coverage/coverage_details.jsp?CIDL=1503&MNC=CING

Results: So did it work? The answer, I’m happy to report, is YES! I got excellent cell service my entire 3 week trip across Eastern and Western Caribbean. While at sea, the phone simply picks up the ship tower’s signal. The signal is strong all over the ship. I was easily able to send and receive calls.

When you get into port, the phone picks up the local carrier’s signal, and the display on my phone changed from “Cingular” to the local company’s name. Again, I had no problems; I was easily able to send and receive calls. Keep in mind that while abroad, you need to dial 001 + the regular phone number to place the call.

The only downside is that there can be a small delay when talking. It’s slight and doesn’t always occur, but can slow conversation a bit until both parties acclimate.

Now I just have to wait for the bill to come! :(

Thank you for the update! After I got my last copy of Cruise Travel Mag, I started collecting the same information that you did. The magazine had an indepth article about the whole thing. I called Cingular first and when they told me that you couldn't put a tower on a cruise ship, I called RCCL customer service. As usual, got absolutely no where. Don't you just hate knowing more than someone else whose job it is to know? Anyway after posting concerns a few times, thinking about calling cingular and rccl again I found the article again. I reread it and decided to keep looking here for a post from someone that has experienced it first hand. I'm still not sure if Mariner is set up for it yet, but I'm not worrying about it. Thanks for posting, I now know that the technology is there and works. It will be awesome if Mariner has it. My DH refuses to learn how to use the computer so keeping in touch via email is not an option.

Darlene

I promise that I will report back on wether Brilliance has it or not.

I had called RCCL (3) times, and got (3) different answers varying from laughter "that they had never heard of such a thing" to another putting me on hold then came back to say it was "up and running on every ship in the fleet including Celebrity". Well, I just got off the Mercury a couple of weeks ago and it did not have cell towers, so we know the last answer I got was wrong :).

The above mentioned article was very good, and it indicated that RCCL had it on their fleet. I believe they will have it soon if they don't.

I wanted to share what I've learned recently about using cell phones on RCI ships. There are been many posting on the subject, and a lot of info floating around, and there seem to be more questions than answers. Below is a summary of my findings, including online research and actual experience, in case they help. Please note that I am not an expert on any of this, and your results may vary. Please note I don’t endorse any certain company or plan; I’m just sharing info and experiences about my cell phone use while cruising. Good luck!

Existing cell phone situation: Verizon service with Motorola V710 phone. Verizon does not offer internatl service; the most they do for you is offer you a global phone for rent.

Challenge: Cruising for 3 weeks on Voyager of the Seas (1/28 – 2/18), and needed reliable cell phone access for business.

Solution: I knew from various sources that Cingular has cell towers on select RCI ships. Their website states the towers are on Navigator and Majesty only and Cingular simply repeats this when calling. The original press release about Cingular cell tower installation from late 2004 states towers should be installed on all RCI ships by late 2005. Knowing RCI, I was willing to bet that the towers were installed, and that their information was just not updated. Given that, and the fact that I cruise often, I was willing to get a Cingular phone and give it a try. (The Cingular website was updated on 2/6 to show Explorer and Voyager, after my sail date).

BTW, RCI is just as clueless about cell service on their own ships, and admit as much. They have, however, produced a new pamphlet with some helpful information; I saw it on Voyager, but failed to bring it home. In short, don’t call RCI looking for a wealth of information.

http://cruises.about.com/od/cruisenews/a/041203celebrity.htm

My other choice it seemed was to get an internatl cell phone. The cost seemed reasonable, but there were too many unknows, so I passed. You can get more info at

http://www.mobalrental.com/.

From research on Cingular’s site, I knew I needed 3 things to use a cell phone at sea:

1. Cingular service. Note that you have to have a regular plan with them.

2. Internatl Roaming with Cingular. This is what enables you to be able to call from outside the US. You cannot get internatl roaming with a prepaid phone, so that option is not available. This is an extra feature that you must purchase and activate by calling Cingular. Don’t confuse it with Internal Long Distance.

3. A GSM phone. This is a specific type of phone. I was told I needed either a GSM tri-band or quadband GSM phone. Apparently these are unique cell phone frequencies.

I also opted for the Cingular World Travel program, which gives you discounted rates if you pay a flat $6 monthly fee. It’s good if you will be talking for extended time period. With or without the World Traveler plan, rates vary depending on where you place the call from.

Prices are broken down on the Cingular site. Costs on the ship are $1.69 /minute ($2.49 / min if you are not on the World plan).

I was on a short timeline, so I called Cingular and purchased my phone and service. They FedEx’d my phone overnight to my house for a $14 fee (I selected the Nokia 6012, which came at no charge). When I received my phone, I called Cingular to activate my standard service, then they transferred me to a separate are to enable Internatl Roaming, then they transferred me to a third area to enroll in the World Traveller plan.

Cingular CS was generally good. There information is not always consistent, and I was hung up on once, but they seem to make an effort.

http://cingular.com/customer_service/cingular_world

http://onlinestorez.cingular.com/travelguide/coverage/cruise_ships_rates.jsp?PIDL=IRSD|IRWT

http://onlinestorez.cingular.com/travelguide/coverage/coverage_details.jsp?CIDL=1503&MNC=CING

Results: So did it work? The answer, I’m happy to report, is YES! I got excellent cell service my entire 3 week trip across Eastern and Western Caribbean. While at sea, the phone simply picks up the ship tower’s signal. The signal is strong all over the ship. I was easily able to send and receive calls.

When you get into port, the phone picks up the local carrier’s signal, and the display on my phone changed from “Cingular” to the local company’s name. Again, I had no problems; I was easily able to send and receive calls. Keep in mind that while abroad, you need to dial 001 + the regular phone number to place the call.

The only downside is that there can be a small delay when talking. It’s slight and doesn’t always occur, but can slow conversation a bit until both parties acclimate.

Now I just have to wait for the bill to come! :(

Wow!!

That clearly took alot of time and effort, but I've got to ask a question:

Am I missing something??

Don't you all go on cruises to "get away from it all" and have an enjoyable time and not have to worry about the office?? I can understand the occasional trip to the internet cafe to check on some email, but to go to these lengths seems a bit much (I'll not go into the "joy" I would experience sitting next to someone yakking on a cell while sitting out at the pool).

Am I the only one?

Hi NYHartChapp - Normally the cruise is to get away; however, with 3 weeks at sea, I had some pressing personal business that needed to be attended to. I imagine other folks with families and other personal concerns may find the cell phone access useful. When RCI improves their internet access, I'll consider using that more regularly. All my calls were made from my cabin so as not to disrupt any passengers.

Wow!!

Am I missing something??

Don't you all go on cruises to "get away from it all" and have an enjoyable time and not have to worry about the office?? I can understand the occasional trip to the internet cafe to check on some email, but to go to these lengths seems a bit much (I'll not go into the "joy" I would experience sitting next to someone yakking on a cell while sitting out at the pool).

Am I the only one?

I'm not sure about anyone else - but for me since I cannot afford to cruise with my entire family, DH, kids, and grandkids I really like the assurance that if there is a reason to reach me that they can. I personally would never deliberately try to intrude on anyone else's vacation. Just so you know I will only take and make calls in my stateroom. There are also those of us that are really into the new "tech" stuff. I really think that it is very cool that "you can put a tower on a cruise ship" even though there are some people working at cingular in the customer service department that don't think so. :D

Darlene

Good question. For the average traveler, I can imagine that when you are on vacation, you are on vacation and would not need access to a phone. However, there is a true need for some people like myself who own their own business(and are a one-person entity), to be able to check in via phone. A cell phone is MUCH cheaper than using the phones on the ship. In most cases for myself it is one call a day to my voice mail, and from my cabin, not bothering others at all. Being able to check in like this alows me to cruise as often as I do :).

Hi NYHartChapp - Normally the cruise is to get away; however, with 3 weeks at sea, I had some pressing personal business that needed to be attended to. I imagine other folks with families and other personal concerns may find the cell phone access useful. When RCI improves their internet access, I'll consider using that more regularly. All my calls were made from my cabin so as not to disrupt any passengers.

Hey GMoney and Darlene,

Well, I'm caught jumping to conclusions again...that'll teach me. With 44 cruises under your belt, I really should have known that you know something about "getting away from it all". Never factored in personal contacts. Just assumed business. Apologies. Good to know there are some considerate folks out there who make calls in the privacy of their stateroom. Hope you all had a great cruise.

I'm not sure about anyone else - but for me since I cannot afford to cruise with my entire family, DH, kids, and grandkids I really like the assurance that if there is a reason to reach me that they can. I personally would never deliberately try to intrude on anyone else's vacation. Just so you know I will only take and make calls in my stateroom. There are also those of us that are really into the new "tech" stuff. I really think that it is very cool that "you can put a tower on a cruise ship" even though there are some people working at cingular in the customer service department that don't think so. :D

Darlene

Am i reading this right? I could understand leaving the grandkids at home, I can even understand leaving the kids at home but do you really leave the DH at home? If you can really pull that off you're one hell of a woman. :D

One more point even through Verizon says it doesn't have international service, I must tell you that my verizon phone has worked very well in the Carribean(including the Bahamas) and Bermuda. We just were in the Dominican Republic(like this week) and it worked well. Also Puerto Rico and many of the other islands.....it is roaming however(except for PR)

Wow!!

Am I missing something??

Am I the only one?

Coming back from Fanning Island (in the South Pacific) and were approaching Maui, you should have seen the people whipping out their cell phones to call their friends(?) to tell them they were approaching Maui. Guess they all wanted to be first to get a signal.

NY Hart,

Just got off of a 5 night Enchantment, January 21-26. Not quite as experienced as gmoney, but we have a few cruises under our belt. The only negative about the Enchantment is that 5 nights are really too short. As for the ship herself~fabulous! Staff - Food - Entertainment were all A+. The ship is beautiful & if I had known how much we loved the ship & had planned more vacation would have stayed on board for another round.

Our ports were Jamaica & Grand Cayman. Did the Canopy Tour in Jamiaca ~ I highly recommend it. No excursions on Grand Cayman because we were a geoup of 30 & had a cousin who was married on the beach while in port. RCCL handled the arrangements & it turned out perfect.

Formal night was the 2nd night (an at sea day), all the rest were casual and lobster was served the 4th night. Our waiter was so atune to our tables eating habits that he didn't even ask, but brought everyone at the table a

2nd lobster. Also, the lobster was the best we have had on any ship, prepared perfect. Other times it has been a tad overdone & a little chewy if thats the right word. Dining room food was probably the best quality we have had on any RCI ship.

We were especially impressed with the Windjammer. Each day at lunch the food served changed almost completely. In the past you couls pretty much count on the same old same old in the Windjammer. On the Enchantment that call it the Windjammer World Market or something like that & offered a wide variety of international entrees. Always had something of Asian fare, Mediterranean (Greek) & Italian plus your basic "American Fare" of burgers & such. In the AM they offered omlet stations where you could get your omlets made to order. We didn't have any evening meals there but also know that that had an afternoon snack bar with ribs, hot dogs, fries chicken fingers & such. Can you tell we were all about hte food on this trip.

Another little pointer, if you like champagne that is, I purchased the 5 bottle wine package-platinum I think for $137.00. Ordered bottles that were average the first 2 nights, attended the wine seminar one afternoon & asked the wine "guy" (I'm not going to attempt sommiel...???) what champagne to order from my choices. He recommended ????I have to find the name because I saved it but it isn't handy. But long story longer, it was fabulous & when we got back I looked online to buy it, couldn't find it for under $20.99 per bottle. Do the math, thats over $100 & usually you have to pay 2-3 times what a bottle retails for. Don't know if it was an eroor and shouldn't be offered in the Platinum package, but if it is there on my next cruise thats what I'm ordering every night!

Just checked out the RCCL website----the champagne was Argyle Brut---from Oregon. Not that I have ever heard of champagne from Oregon but it was definitely the best value on the wine menu.

Now that we have hijacked the cell phone thread I'll end my raving about the Enchantment. Once more GREAT SHIP! It must have been that 2nd martini that made me ramble! Happy Travels.

Wendy

NY Hart,

Just got off of a 5 night Enchantment, January 21-26. Not quite as experienced as gmoney, but we have a few cruises under our belt. The only negative about the Enchantment is that 5 nights are really too short. As for the ship herself~fabulous! Staff - Food - Entertainment were all A+. The ship is beautiful & if I had known how much we loved the ship & had planned more vacation would have stayed on board for another round.

Our ports were Jamaica & Grand Cayman. Did the Canopy Tour in Jamiaca ~ I highly recommend it. No excursions on Grand Cayman because we were a geoup of 30 & had a cousin who was married on the beach while in port. RCCL handled the arrangements & it turned out perfect.

Formal night was the 2nd night (an at sea day), all the rest were casual and lobster was served the 4th night. Our waiter was so atune to our tables eating habits that he didn't even ask, but brought everyone at the table a

2nd lobster. Also, the lobster was the best we have had on any ship, prepared perfect. Other times it has been a tad overdone & a little chewy if thats the right word. Dining room food was probably the best quality we have had on any RCI ship.

We were especially impressed with the Windjammer. Each day at lunch the food served changed almost completely. In the past you couls pretty much count on the same old same old in the Windjammer. On the Enchantment that call it the Windjammer World Market or something like that & offered a wide variety of international entrees. Always had something of Asian fare, Mediterranean (Greek) & Italian plus your basic "American Fare" of burgers & such. In the AM they offered omlet stations where you could get your omlets made to order. We didn't have any evening meals there but also know that that had an afternoon snack bar with ribs, hot dogs, fries chicken fingers & such. Can you tell we were all about hte food on this trip.

Another little pointer, if you like champagne that is, I purchased the 5 bottle wine package-platinum I think for $137.00. Ordered bottles that were average the first 2 nights, attended the wine seminar one afternoon & asked the wine "guy" (I'm not going to attempt sommiel...???) what champagne to order from my choices. He recommended ????I have to find the name because I saved it but it isn't handy. But long story longer, it was fabulous & when we got back I looked online to buy it, couldn't find it for under $20.99 per bottle. Do the math, thats over $100 & usually you have to pay 2-3 times what a bottle retails for. Don't know if it was an eroor and shouldn't be offered in the Platinum package, but if it is there on my next cruise thats what I'm ordering every night!

Just checked out the RCCL website----the champagne was Argyle Brut---from Oregon. Not that I have ever heard of champagne from Oregon but it was definitely the best value on the wine menu.

Now that we have hijacked the cell phone thread I'll end my raving about the Enchantment. Once more GREAT SHIP! It must have been that 2nd martini that made me ramble! Happy Travels.

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for all the info and I'm glad you had a great time...although all cruises by definition are too short, right? We are looking forward to the same five day cruise in the Western Caribbean...Key West, Cozumel and Belize.

From the "It's a Small World Department": my mother was born in Warren, OH. I grew up in Jamestown, NY, but still have family in Ravenna.

yes it happens, mine has a chronic illness and can not cruise and everyone in the family realize that between taking care of him and working full time that I need time away every so often so they take over for a week and I cruise to retain my sanity. Under these circumstances it sure helps to have a functioning phone as on one cruise he ended up in the hospital and with twice daily calles from the cabin I was able to keep informed and able to complete my cruise as I knew the circumstances were such that I didn't need to fly home. At times worth every penny.

GMoney, THANKS so much for the very helpful information. We anxiously await your report from the Brilliance.

Looking forward to our next cruise . . .

Constellation Oct. ’06 – Western Caribbean

Brilliance of the Seas April ’06 – Panama Canal

Jewel of the Seas Oct. ’05 – Bermuda and Caribbean

Dawn Princess March '05 - Western Caribbean

Caribbean Princess '04 (C752 Cabin off back of ship) - Eastern Caribbean

Island Princess '03 - Panama Canal

Star Princess '03 - Mexican Riveria

Grand Princess '02 - Western Caribbean

Enchantment of the Seas '98 - Eastern Caribbean

yes it happens, mine has a chronic illness and can not cruise and everyone in the family realize that between taking care of him and working full time that I need time away every so often so they take over for a week and I cruise to retain my sanity. Under these circumstances it sure helps to have a functioning phone as on one cruise he ended up in the hospital and with twice daily calles from the cabin I was able to keep informed and able to complete my cruise as I knew the circumstances were such that I didn't need to fly home. At times worth every penny.

Again, sorry I jumped to conclusions. Assumed that OP meant cell service for business, not personal. My bad.

Ok back to the small world department. I work at the local YMCA & one of my retired bosses (Ed Bauer) is from Jamestown NY. Until his mom passed away a few years ago she never left Jamestown & he was always going "home".

Small World Part 2 ~ Tom & I have a 2nd home in Florida. One of our friends down there is from Jamestown. He lives there but owns Big Joes in Warren PA. It is a fruit/vegetable/flower market on the main drag in Warren. I think he also has a furniture/car sales there. We have visited the area a few times & really like Chatuagua (sp) & the Kinzu Dam area. Have actually eaten or stayed at (I can't remember which) a place I think was called Tha Gaslight or Lamplight.

I don't know alot of people from Ravenna, but I have worked in a very community service organization, so how long has your mother been gone from Warren? Have you spent any time in the area?

Wendy

Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I grew up in Warren!! It is a small world! I have a sister who lives in Cortland. And I will actually be attending my nephew's graduation from Lakeview High School this spring! Thank you NY Hart for mentioning the small world, I probably wouldn't have even noticed otherwise.

As for the Enchantment. She is my favorite ship! And no, the Enchantment wasn't my first cruise. We also did the 5 night Cozumel, Jamaica and Grand Cayman cruise. The service was beyond great, and couldn't find one thing to complain about. Not that I was looking! This particular cruise was to celebrate my neice's graduation, and this spring my sister and I are taking her brother (my nephew) on the same ship. Only 4 days this time, but we have one of those aft junior suites that everyone raves over. I've still got a couple days to go before my Mariner cruise, and I'm already anticipating my August Enchantment cruise.

Darlene

Ok back to the small world department. I work at the local YMCA & one of my retired bosses (Ed Bauer) is from Jamestown NY. Until his mom passed away a few years ago she never left Jamestown & he was always going "home".

Small World Part 2 ~ Tom & I have a 2nd home in Florida. One of our friends down there is from Jamestown. He lives there but owns Big Joes in Warren PA. It is a fruit/vegetable/flower market on the main drag in Warren. I think he also has a furniture/car sales there. We have visited the area a few times & really like Chatuagua (sp) & the Kinzu Dam area. Have actually eaten or stayed at (I can't remember which) a place I think was called Tha Gaslight or Lamplight.

I don't know alot of people from Ravenna, but I have worked in a very community service organization, so how long has your mother been gone from Warren? Have you spent any time in the area?

Wendy

Well, this small world department just gets smaller and smaller. Have relocated to Chappaqua, but still have summer cottage on Chautauqua Lake...God's Country. My mom relocated to Florida...Jupiter.

Okay I can't seem to get off of these boards tonight :D

My sister used to work at the YWCA in Warren. Probably 10 years ago. Big Joe's doesn't sound too familiar, but I have been away for about 30 years with only a few visits back to Warren. My favorite place was the old "Hot Dog Shoppe". I have spent more time there than I care to admit! I actually had lunch there two years ago, although I know that it wasn't the original building. My sister said that one had burned to the ground years ago. Love those chilli dogs and cherry sodas!

Darlene

Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I grew up in Warren!! It is a small world! I have a sister who lives in Cortland. And I will actually be attending my nephew's graduation from Lakeview High School this spring! Thank you NY Hart for mentioning the small world, I probably wouldn't have even noticed otherwise.

As for the Enchantment. She is my favorite ship! And no, the Enchantment wasn't my first cruise. We also did the 5 night Cozumel, Jamaica and Grand Cayman cruise. The service was beyond great, and couldn't find one thing to complain about. Not that I was looking! This particular cruise was to celebrate my neice's graduation, and this spring my sister and I are taking her brother (my nephew) on the same ship. Only 4 days this time, but we have one of those aft junior suites that everyone raves over. I've still got a couple days to go before my Mariner cruise, and I'm already anticipating my August Enchantment cruise.

Darlene

Yikes!!! Three people with ties to Warren...unbelievable!

We have an aft suite and the only drawback I've heard about is soot on the balcony...your thoughts?

Archived