Icy Strait Point

debnrick

On 1/28/2022 at 3:05 PM, jskinsd said:

Did you even know Icy Strait point was a stop?  Did you research activities to do in Icy Strait? 

Yes, and nothing stood out. This was a few years ago now... maybe it has developed?

Hey I am glad you love the port, we did not.

21 hours ago, jskinsd said:

I think Lowyfer is referring to Kroschel wildlife refuge.  But it is in Haines not Skagway.  Can't drive a car to it.  You take a boat from Skagway.✌️

Yes it is the Kroschel Wildlife Refuge. We went to it from the Skagway port, it was a bit of a trip and as a result we had very little time to spend in Skagway itself which is what we are picking up this upcoming trip.

On 1/26/2022 at 8:04 PM, Lowyfer said:

There is a bias as I am from the pacific north west. It was similar enough to home that the rain forest was the same as going for a walk in the back yard.

Hi Lowyfer, I also live in the Seattle area, and I completely understand how while you appreciated the beauty of ISP, it is very similar to what we have here.  We did go whale watching and had a wonderful experience.  We are booked on a May '23 Alaska cruise and ISP will be one of the port-of-calls.  I am looking forward to getting back there (maybe by then I will have become brave enough to go on the zipline - LOL.  ;  )

• Like 1

On 1/30/2022 at 12:34 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

We are booked on a May '23 Alaska cruise and ISP will be one of the port-of-calls.  I am looking forward to getting back there (maybe by then I will have become brave enough to go on the zipline - LOL.  ;  )

It does look pretty epic! Most impressive zip line I have ever seen!

You should totally do it.

• Like 3

@sportsmum The zip line is basically open just for cruise passengers, so 99.9% of zip line riders book through the cruise line.  When I was there in Oct 21, the zip line was cancelled for our ride (could have been due to either frosty weather in the early morning, or because there was a Covid outbreak in the Village of Hoonah and it was a public health decision).  Anyway, while walking around the Cannery area, I did see a kiosk that appeared to be set up to sell zip line tickets (assuming spots were still available).

Personally, I think your best course of action is to book the zip line excursion thru the cruise line now (they are often combined with other activities, like whale watching,  which was amazing!).

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 6:57 PM, AKStafford said:

According to their website: https://icystraitpoint.com/tour/worlds-largest-ziprider-and-scenic-mountain-ascent/ , they want you to book through the cruise line.

We have a whale-watching trip booked with Glacier Wind. The zip line looks awesome, but I’m not sure my very skinny kid will hit 75 lbs in time 😆

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 4:57 PM, AKStafford said:

According to their website: https://icystraitpoint.com/tour/worlds-largest-ziprider-and-scenic-mountain-ascent/ , they want you to book through the cruise line.

Celebrity isn't offering it on their excursions. Individually or combined with anything else.  Maybe later when they know whether it will be operating.....

Still early in the year.  I am guessing that the tribal corporation is still getting the excursion offerings formulated.  The new gondola will be up and running, along with zip line, whale watching, hikes, etc.  Just keep watching the Celebrity excursion site.  :  )

It's worth the wait!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sportsmum said:

Celebrity isn't offering it on their excursions. Individually or combined with anything else.  Maybe later when they know whether it will be operating.....

I am on July 31 sailing of the Eclipse and they are offering it combined with the whale watching or an ATV excursion and on its own.   Might just be one of those celebrity website quirks I would keep checking

• Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 6:19 PM, Woody14 said:

I am on July 31 sailing of the Eclipse and they are offering it combined with the whale watching or an ATV excursion and on its own.   Might just be one of those celebrity website quirks I would keep checking

No, it’s not showing up on Carnival either. But then again, I’m sailing in May. 

This is our favourite port of any in Alaska and have been multiple times. It is the BEST place for whale watching. Book a private tour so it is more intimate. Although a bit more money, keep in mind everything is expensive in Alaska. I would recommend Hoonah Whale Tours but if they are booked there are other quality operators also. 

Also we have seen bears everytime also on shore !!!

Edited by wilsonz6
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've been to Icy Point once before. We did a bear tour with the leader of the local Native American tribe. It was wonderful! We learned a lot about the history of the tribe and the port. Even though it was early for bear sightings (May), we saw a ton of them.