BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Expiration Date (Extended for 6 months)

Junkhouse

We ordered a "6-pack" back in September.  The tests we received were set to expire on October 5th.  That date was extended to January 5th.  We were only going to use them as backups if we couldn't get tested, which wasn't a problem.  My DW contacted the test company to see what could be done about us receiving test kits that were almost expired when we got them.  We got this response:

"The BinaxNow COVID-19 test kits were originally made in a bulk in late 2020 thru early 2021 and was approved for testing by the FDA under the EUA (Emergency Use Authorization). The test kits have an original expiration date of September 2021, October 2021, and November 2021.  Effective immediately, these expiration dates have since been extended for an additional 6 months by the FDA making the new expiration dates March 2022, April 2022, and May 2022."

Hopefully you haven't thrown out any of these kits that had these expiration dates.

Edited by Junkhouse

• Junkhouse changed the title to BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Expiration Date (Extended for 6 months)
54 minutes ago, Junkhouse said:

We ordered a "6-pack" back in September.  The tests we received were set to expire on October 5th.  That date was extended to January 5th.  We were only going to use them as backups if we couldn't get tested, which wasn't a problem.  My DW contacted the test company to see what could be done about us receiving test kits that were almost expired when we got them.  We got this response:

"The BinaxNow COVID-19 test kits were originally made in a bulk in late 2020 thru early 2021 and was approved for testing by the FDA under the EUA (Emergency Use Authorization). The test kits have an original expiration date of September 2021, October 2021, and November 2021.  Effective immediately, these expiration dates have since been extended for an additional 6 months by the FDA making the new expiration dates March 2022, April 2022, and May 2022."

Hopefully you haven't thrown out any of these kits that had these expiration dates.

Great info!!  I have two left.  May need to use them for our Odyssey cruise coming up if our appointment gets cancelled.  Nice to know we have a backup again.  Thanks very much.

I don’t have the official news source but it was reported that the FDA gave Abbott the 6-month extension when the Florida Department of Emergency Management revealed at the end of December that nearly a million test kits had expired in a warehouse in Florida. The kits had a December expiration date. The FDA looked at new data from Abbott that showed the acceptability of extending the shelf life, so the FDA gave the 6-month extension based on the new Abbott data. 

Thanks so much for this update.  I was just getting ready to pay another $175 to ship 6 more tests.  I have 3 left that don’t expire now until May of 2022 which I confirmed on their website.  Finger crossed we don’t need more then that for our February cruise.  In about 8 I’ve used 2 bottles have been empty.  Since it’s just the 2 of us it should be fine.  I will make back up appts for antigen tests later the day we test just in case.