Worried I won't be able to get a test

carribbound

For our two previous cruises we went to a minor emergency clinic to get the rapid antigen tests. We didn't have pay for them,  as they were covered under Medicare.

If you order the proctored tests, does anyone know if Medicare will reimburse you for the cost? I'd like to have some of them on hand, as we have 4 more cruises this year, but they're kind of pricey. And I have no clue how to apply for a reimbursement from Medicare!

On 1/16/2022 at 3:18 PM, mdin said:

My wife and I are on the same sailing. Scheduling tests in the next 7 days are not easy, however I noticed I can schedule a rapid test at CVS as far as 13 days out (which have plenty of availability at the moment in my area). My plan right now is to wait until this Friday to schedule our tests for February 3rd. If I encounter any issues, then I'll order the tele-med Abbott tests that Carnival recommends.

I just scheduled a rapid test for Feb 4 - lots of slots available, just do it first thing in the morning to get most convenient time for you. Have insurance card handy.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2022 at 3:18 PM, mondello said:

I see the new email from Carnival today saying they are expanding their pre-cruise testing capacity at terminals, especially for short, 3-4 day cruisers ($10). I have 4 test kits left, same ones we used 12/24. Our son's school nurse sent out an email saying they extended the expiration date 3 months, in addition to the previous 3 month extension. I have not been able to verify that from Abbott. The extra 3 months will make mine kits usable for 3/26.

We tested fine in Dec. and hope to pass muster in March.

Is it possible to take a photo or screenshot of the Carnival letter? We sail Long Beach end of Feb and trying to decide if need to order home proctored tests. Thanks. 

5 hours ago, victory2020 said:

I just scheduled a rapid test for Feb 4 - lots of slots available, just do it first thing in the morning to get most convenient time for you. Have insurance card handy.

I got in yesterday for February 3 in the afternoon. Didn't realize some CVS's around the country have run out of the in person rapid tests. Let's add more worries to the equation lol.

5 hours ago, Buffettfan 225 said:

Is it possible to take a photo or screenshot of the Carnival letter? We sail Long Beach end of Feb and trying to decide if need to order home proctored tests. Thanks. 

I don't know how to repost my copy. I quoted you in another post to see a copy of the April/beyond letter, which is almost identical.

On 1/16/2022 at 6:07 PM, carribbound said:

I am cruising Feb 5th on Horizon (fingers crossed). Is anyone else worried they won't be able to get a test? Our local health system just halted asymptotic testing. This includes testing needed for travel. Then I see headlines that CVS/Walgreens having limited hours due to staffing. I ordered 3 of the Abbot tests and hopefully they are not expired which is another thing I have been reading. So Nervous!

Binax Now Ag is available on the Optum site (test in stock again). 2 monitored tests @ $69.  Ship within days. Since this is new stock, expiration dates should be pretty far out.

Edited by simplelife

18 hours ago, simplelife said:

Binax Now Ag is available on the Optum site (test in stock again). 2 monitored tests @ $69.  Ship within days. Since this is new stock, expiration dates should be pretty far out.

I ordered ours last Tuesday, they have not arrived, but it did state 5-7 business days

• Like 1

OP I would advise ordering tests from emed asap and expedite delivery if it's offered.

Go to youtube and watch videos of people taking the test. The proctor you have online may be difficult to understand and for me it was very helpful to have seen a couple videos before I had to test. I had Walgreens scheduled as a backup but not needed so I cancelled.

Just me but I would rather test before I traveled to the pier. With my luck I would pay for flights, hotel, ground transportation.... then not pass at the pier 😮

I would not want to deal with whatever that news would bring

• Like 2

On 1/21/2022 at 6:18 PM, mondello said:

I see the new email from Carnival today saying they are expanding their pre-cruise testing capacity at terminals, especially for short, 3-4 day cruisers ($10). I have 4 test kits left, same ones we used 12/24. Our son's school nurse sent out an email saying they extended the expiration date 3 months, in addition to the previous 3 month extension. I have not been able to verify that from Abbott. The extra 3 months will make mine kits usable for 3/26.

We tested fine in Dec. and hope to pass muster in March.

From Abbott; https://content.veeabb.com/1d09429b-8373-419f-8f1a-d28f9586863a/678e2269-44b7-4c6d-8fa9-0a55a40f30f7/678e2269-44b7-4c6d-8fa9-0a55a40f30f7_source__v.pdf

8 hours ago, maureencruiser said:

Yeah, I saw that posted by a couple states. Mine are 195-100 and lot number is not in this list. Thanks for posting, I'm hoping mine will be okay.

27 minutes ago, scoobysnacks70 said:

We don't cruise until June so I know I am early and I am just curious if the free tests sent out by the government will work for the testing requirements?

Absolutely NOT.  Any home test MUST be 3rd party proctored.

• Like 1

We went on a cruise January 3rd .. had ordered the Binax Now proctored test ... $69.99 for 2 I used one and my friend used one - hers worked perfectly - mine was faulty (it never changed colors) this was on New Years Day - thankfully a doctors office in my home town offered to meet me at their office on Sunday the 2nd and do a test.  Optum did refund me the money on the faulty test .....l.l.. but I am proof it can happen

Did the CVS rapid Antigen test today for Saturday cruise. It was negative and I received results in about 1 hour. Another person on the cruise (lives in a different city), took a non proctored home test that was negative. Went to American Family Care and tested positive. They are debating on getting a second test to be sure.

On 1/26/2022 at 10:04 AM, lowroller said:

I ordered ours last Tuesday, they have not arrived, but it did state 5-7 business days

On 1/25/2022 at 3:11 PM, simplelife said:

How far out do they generally expire?  Meaning if I am cruising at the end of March am I safe to purchase today?  TIA

47 minutes ago, famof4togo said:

How far out do they generally expire?  Meaning if I am cruising at the end of March am I safe to purchase today?  TIA

We just received our Emed 6 pack this week.  Expiry is January 2023.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, maureencruiser said:

What is your lot number, maybe you were on the old letter, this is new this year.  

Lot #147164; 195-100; made 3-11-2021; expiration 11-5-2021.

Good until 2-5-2022 with previous 3 month extension. Seen shelf life is 12 months, would be 3-11-2022. Cruise is 3-26-2022. Additional 3 month extension would be perfect and save me money.

• Like 1

I just ordered our Binax Now Ag...am I correct that we should have no issues using our smartphones to conduct?  Do we need to download any specific app to video chat or is it zoom or something like that?  TIA

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mondello said:

Lot #147164; 195-100; made 3-11-2021; expiration 11-5-2021.

Good until 2-5-2022 with previous 3 month extension. Seen shelf life is 12 months, would be 3-11-2022. Cruise is 3-26-2022. Additional 3 month extension would be perfect and save me money.

Well, although that lot number is not on the Jan 2022 list, only the May 2021 list, the Abbott letter does say this.  "This letter is to notify you the BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card, part number 195- 000, in your possession may now have a longer than labeled product expiry date. All BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Kits currently have a fifteen-month expiry date....For customers using the NAVICA app, an update to the NAVICA app will be implemented to recognize the extended expiry date....If you have further questions, please contact Abbott Technical Services at: • Telephone: 1 800 257 9525 • Email: ts.scr@abbott.com"