Elation,Triumph,Glory or R.C. Navigator of the Seas - Which One?

NewCruiser10

I would like to plan a cruise for this August. Because of different factors, I need a cruise that departs August 12, 13th or 14th. I was wondering what the opinion is of the above named ships. The Glory's ports are Key West, Belize City and Cozumel. Elation stops at Half Moon Cay, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turks. Triumph's ports are San Juan, St Thomas and St Martin. The Navigators ports are San Juan, St Thomas, St Martin and Nassau.

I will be traveling with my husband ( we are both in our early 50's and my 14 year old son). We have been on a Carnival cruise twice and a Princess cruise once. We enjoyed them equally.

I know that cruise critic member always have great information and ideas. I would welcome any thoughts that you guys have.

Thanks in advance,

Paula

I would like to plan a cruise for this August. Because of different factors, I need a cruise that departs August 12, 13th or 14th. I was wondering what the opinion is of the above named ships. The Glory's ports are Key West, Belize City and Cozumel. Elation stops at Half Moon Cay, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turks. Triumph's ports are San Juan, St Thomas and St Martin. The Navigators ports are San Juan, St Thomas, St Martin and Nassau.

I will be traveling with my husband ( we are both in our early 50's and my 14 year old son). We have been on a Carnival cruise twice and a Princess cruise once. We enjoyed them equally.

I know that cruise critic member always have great information and ideas. I would welcome any thoughts that you guys have.

Thanks in advance,

Paula

We have done the Triumph. it wasn't with those ports. but we have been to St. Thomas and St. Marteen. Which are both breath taking places and great tours. hope this helps;)

We have been on Triumph and Glory as well as on Royal Caribbean. Only once on RCL and we did not care for it. We take our 12 year old grandson on MANY cruises with us. We've done several different lines with him and Carnival is his favorite. He LOVES the Triumph- especially the water slide. On the Glory I was very pleased to find a snack bar with Fresh Fried oysters! It might be the ports that settle it for you. Carnival does only evening in port in San Juan (5:00 pm arrival midnight departure) but in August you still have lots of daylight. Papa and grandson did the Forts and had an educational as well as just a nice time. In San Juan there are FREE open trollys that do 2 different routes you can get on and off where ever you want. Make sure you are able to look out the PORT side as you approach San Juan to see some great sights that make great pictures In St. Thomas we taxi to Sapphire beach and snorkle (bring our own masks) it is $10.00 per person and they get their money when they pick you up to go back to the ship at whatever time you tell them. The cable car up the mountain at Havensight is great also, do not forget your camera. Under $15.00 each as I recall. Key West? Do the conch train then get sandles for all your friends at the Keno factory at about $10.00 per pair. Now about Belize add a touch of education for your son and do a tour of a Banana plantation. Half moon Cay will not give you any sense of the People of the islands but it is a fun relaxing day anyway. Find a rope hammock and bring a book. My husband and I are both over 65 but find we can avoid the 30 something crowd on Carnival and have a very good time while Grandson does his thing (with us keeping an eye on him). Hope this was some help. Have a good cruise which ever you choose

Personally, I would take the Elation.

I'm on the Glory (eastern route) in January. Key West is a place I would visit on a land trip to Florida. I wouldn't want to "waste" a port stop on a cruise there. There are many, many intineraries that do the "San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maartin" route. I would go for something a little different, just 'cause I'm a little different!:D

I don't know much about the Elation as far as the style of ship, age, etc. but I think based on the itinerary, I would choose this sailing. I've never been to Grand Turk and it sounds fun and interesting! I agree with previous posters in that the San Juan, St Thomas, St Martin is kind of boring and you can get to those islands with other itineraries.

I have done RCL and Carnival. Loved both ships and am going back to Carnival for the itinerary (8 day eastern on Liberty) but would find both lines equally great. I think Carnival has a slight edge on food and RCL has a slight edge on ship ammenities.

Hope this helps!!

My family & a large travel group just sailed on the Glory earlier this month. We did the E. Carribean tour stopping at Nassau, Bahamas, St. Thomas & St. Maarten. We were on the Triumph last March for the Western & loved all of our stops, they were Cozumel, Cayman Islands & Ocho Rios, Jamaica. Both ships are great. This last cruise on the Glory was an absolute fabulous time. Even with the weather being so so it was stil a fun filled cruise. The staff & food were excellent.

As far as itinerary's go's I would have to say the western itinerary is my favorite. These ports in my opinion had more action packed excursions that interested us. Also we thought the shopping was better.

I have been on the Navigator and will be going on the Glory soon. Of the four ships, the Navigator offers the most for a 14 year old. I would choose that one. The cruise with the best ports (in my opinion) is Elation, mainly because it stops at a private island.

We were loyal RCI cruisers (Navigator being one of the ships), cruised Princess once and recently returned from our first Carnival cruise on the Triumph (E. Carribean). Each time, we've taken the kids, aged 3, 7 and 9. Each has its pros and cons. One major factor is price. The same week on an RCI ship was twice the price for a family of 5. The Navigator was great with really no negative comments. It's definitely a nicer, "grander" ship than the Triumph. The extra activities like the climbing wall, roller blading track and skating rink are novel things to do during sea days. The Triumph only has the water slide. Entertainment was the same on both ships; food slightly better on RCI; dining room service better on RCI; cabin service same on both ships. Triumph pros: larger cabins (outside cabin comfortably slept 5); embarkation and debarkation (self assist) was much quicker than any RCI ship; kids program better on carnival (not sure about teen program). Triumph cons: seas were very rough travelling from Miami to San Juan as you're sailing against the current as well as the winds (I've read other posts that suggest Carnival ships tend to be rougher); overall cleanliness was a step down from RCI -- certain elevators smelled of garbage, lido deck by taste of the nations buffet smelled badly (also mentioned in other posts), bath towels were stained, shower curtain smelled (but our cabin steward changed it without being asked to). All in all, we still enjoyed our cruise on the Triumph. A vacation is really what you make of it. We'd probably cruise Carnival again.

Archived