White Pass Train - $90???

ghisl

Can someone who's been on this train explain to me why it costs so much? Please help me justify the cost of this tour. I've heard it's quite good but boy, for $90, it better be incredible. Please tell me about this tour - do you remain on the train the whole time or do you stop in places? What makes it so special?

It costs a lot because they are running a full blown railway operation in a very remote place, and have only 5 months a year to make their money.

I have done the trip twice (first time the valley was full of fog), and enjoyed it both times. No, you don't get off, but it is a very scenic trip up the valley and back. Tip: don't buy your tix on the ship. Walk up to the station (less than 10 minutes from the pier) and buy your tix there. Much cheaper.

It wasn't much cheaper for us - I think the difference was $5 -$10 cheaper. I bought the ticket through the cruise line both times.

It is expensive and worth doing one. I did do it 2x because it was pouring rain the first time.

It's pretty cheap compared to most excursions up here. Going on a 5-hour hike for $120, or 4 hours in a little boat for $150, or worst of all, renting a jeep for $100 an hour!! As has been said, the railway has hundreds of millions of dollars in infrastructure and equipment sitting idle for 7 months a year.

Murray

We are going on the Carnival Spirit starting August 16. I called White Pass to book the train ride. They knew by the date that we were coming in on the Spirit. I was told to book though the cruise ship. It's the same price and Carnival have their own train cars and you just walk across the street to catch the train. I thought they were great to let me know this and that is what we are going to do. Book it on the cruise ship.:)

>>I thought they were great to let me know this...<<

They don't do it by choice - it's part of their contract with the ships. I think it's safe to say that they would rather not pay the ships a total of around $200,000 a day in commissions (yes, each day). If you wonder why Skagway is your longest port time and why they pump the excursion so hard on board, that's why - the railroad is an incredible cash cow for the cruise lines.

Murray

It is pretty expensive, but comparitively speaking, so is every other excursion in Alaska. (We cruised in Hawaii in 2004 and it's the same way there.) It is worth it however as the scenery is awesome and the history is pretty interesting. When we did it in 2001, we reserved it through the cruise line (Carnival), and got to board the train close by the ship. I've read pros and cons both ways; book it yourself or let the cruise ship do it.

This may be one of the few excursions where there is not a big difference in price either way you do it. The Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge RR in Colorado by comparison is $62 RT, but they also run a portion of the route in the winter, so they don't have to make all their money during the summer months. It also provides great scenery and is a terrific trip and I think is a pretty fair comparison. Bottom line--do it, you won't be disappointed.

I checked their site on-line and it isn't any cheaper to buy it there. In fact, may be sold out, from what reviewers say.

Reviewers?? Despite what you may hear, the WP&YR is never sold out - they make very sure that they can keep adding cars to a string as long as the excursion desks can sell seats.

Murray

For $90, you can rent a car, have lunch, and still have money left over. Rent a car from Avis right at the pier. You will see more than anyone on the train.

I guess it depends on what you call "more" - you get a lot more variety, comparable (but different) scenery for the section up to the Summit, but a whole lot less of history and incredible engineering. And, if you are a railfan, TRAINS! :D

Murray

Yukon- Why does it cost 150.00 to hike? Is it not possible to take a cab to a trail and walk? And on the same vein is it safe to hike without bear spray there? Thanks for the help. (yes, I am paroniod and always hike with my bear spray around Anchorage. That is probably why I have never even seen a bear :) )

>>Yukon- Why does it cost 150.00 to hike? Is it not possible to take a cab to a trail and walk? And on the same vein is it safe to hike without bear spray there?<<

1. because some people are greedy and some people have too much money.

2. you don't even need a cab for many trails.

3. it depends on the trail - I seldom carry it except in late summer (berry season), but am used to hiking among bears. Local knowledge is useful in this case - at Skagway, for example, ask the NPS folks.

Murray

>>Yukon- Why does it cost 150.00 to hike? Is it not possible to take a cab to a trail and walk? And on the same vein is it safe to hike without bear spray there?<<

1. because some people are greedy and some people have too much money.

2. you don't even need a cab for many trails.

3. it depends on the trail - I seldom carry it except in late summer (berry season), but am used to hiking among bears. Local knowledge is useful in this case - at Skagway, for example, ask the NPS folks.

Murray

Thanks so much for the information! I was really worried there for a minute. Any trails you think you especially like and recomend? Thanks again.

Tonya

It is pretty expensive, but comparitively speaking, so is every other excursion in Alaska. (We cruised in Hawaii in 2004 and it's the same way there.)...

Don't forget... it's because these are destinations in the USA even though not a part of the lower 48... complete with American wages, standards of living, and costs of living. Everything in these states has to be "imported"... so it's only natural that things would cost more from a tourism perpective.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you give me the link to your mile marker trip from Skagway to Emerald Lake?

We are trying to decide between the White Pass Rail/Bus trip or renting a car and driving to Emerald Lake. We will be in Skagway the beginning of May on the Mercury. I'd appreciate your input. Thanks.

Also trying to figure out what to do in Ketchikan. We are going whale watching with Captain Larry in Juneau and we do not fish. We like exploring, easy to moderate hiking, as well as the standards: shopping and eating! Any suggestions?

My Skagway highway guide is at http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html - if you enjoy independent travel, renting a car is the way to go.

Ketchikan is a great town to just wander, with the eagle/fishery center a worthwhile destination on your walk. For more excercise, the sea kayaking is the best of any cruise port.

Murray

Archived