Is caviar a thing on Azamara? Plus general food questions...

KiniShakenBake

Forgive the weird question - I love trying foods that I wouldn't normally delve into at home in preparations that I wouldn't know the first thing about while I'm on cruises. We're trying Azamara for the first time this September.

I was reading about Seabourn and Silversea both having caviar available anywhere, any time. I realize Azamara isn't luxury the way they are, but I'm wondering if this is something anyone can comment on regarding Azamara. Hoping someone can shed some light. 

Also, how is the food compared to Princess? 

Caviar is available. There is a caviar tasting in the Living Room (or upstairs in the specialty restaurants if you make arrangements about 1 day in advance)  that comes with a choice of champagne or vodka, a selection of several farm raised sturgeon caviars, Chinese (made only from fish raised in the cleanest purist spring water, yeah, right), American, I believe Belgian and Italian. The price will depend upon which fishy you choose.  The tasting runs from about $125 to over $200 if memory serves me right. For the cheapskates like me, it is available every AM in the MDR for breakfast for an $18.50 supplement. Comes with sour cream, blini, the usual chopped stuff. It is a modest dollop, a sort of major taste, but it will keep you out of caviar withdrawal symptoms. We (I really) have been known to select our fish eggs from our local farmers market, freeze it, carry it with us to the ship and indulge privately in our cabin or upstairs. $50 for decent caviar for the two of us over 2-3 days certainly beats the ship's prices! Hope you have a wonderful voyage (actually, I hope you get to have ANY voyage!), and enjoy Azamara as much as we do.

• Like 1