Petition e-3757 in the Canadian House of Commons - Allow Antigen Testing for re-entry to Canada

GStuart

Hey folks, one of the things that I have enjoyed so much on the Canadian Cruisers board has been the lack of sniping. People have been able to express contrary opinions in a polite manner and discussions haven't devolved into unhelpful criticism of other posts and posters. Let's keep it that way.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Why a PCR test and not an antigen test on return to Canada?  This is how the National Post explains it:

Russell, a professor of immunology and infectious disease at Memorial University of Newfoundland, also said mandatory testing for re-entry is one way to monitor for new variants “that might slip in when we might not yet even know of their existence.” A PCR test requires extraction of SARS-CoV-2 RNA from the sample, “which, if stored, could then be sequenced right away to monitor for new variants,” or later to trace the source and movement of a new variant, he said.

https://nationalpost.com/news/may-be-time-for-canada-to-scrap-pre-entry-covid-test-for-canadian-travellers-experts-say

PCR testing helps Canada keep track of virus variants -- antigen tests don't, apparently.

Monitoring benefits aside, processing backlogs are a huge problem with PCR testing on re-entry to Canada. Switch Health -- which I'm no fan of given their mishandling of my own LAMP test -- is in charge of processing a lot of these tests and doing an unreasonably slow job of it.  People on these boards have told of 5+ days waiting for results.  So I can understand why people would prefer antigen testing, which doesn't have the same backlogs.  

@GStuart, here you go  - starting at post 59:

I had actually started a new thread on this -- non-inflammatory, reasoned, stating the facts -- but within a few hours, someone reported it and had it scrubbed  from the boards.  There was no need or justification for that censorship.

Here's a follow-up. 

Switch Health finally sent me a (non-robo) email (titled "Switch Health - Expedited Customer Service Processes") 13 days after I first contacted them. It was still a form e-mail, but included a special phone number to call them at.  When called, that number had a recorded message that referred callers back to the website and to the (broken) chat bot for assistance. It was a freakin' circle. 

I disputed the charge for the LAMP-RT test on my credit card, and got a full refund. 

Edited by lots-of-km2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1