Contacting home

mmeb7882

We will be in Belize City, Roaton and Cozumel. Would it be worth it to take my laptop off the boat to hook up in an internet cafe? I am borrowing a laptop with wireless capabilities, but have no idea how that works. Do you just go to any place with wireless and you can connect?

Or, should I buy an international phone card and call home from a pay phone at port?

mmeb7882

Leave the laptop and get a phone card, its so much less hassle. I've been to Belize and to Roatan twice, and I don't recall any type of internet cafe near the pier, and you have a 20 minute tender ride each way in Belize, then you have to lug it around. A phone card is the ticket!

In Roatan, there is a small hut with PCs for internet access. I never used it, so I don't know how good the connection is, but they are available.

In Cozumel, there is at least 1 internet "cafe"; connection is good and you can't beat the price - $1 / hour. It's downtown near Executive Car Rental.

Maybe skip the laptop and try those options?

Most ships have wireless on the ship itself these days. Do a search on the these boards to find out more.

The ships that don't have WIFI likely do have internet centers with ship's PCs. You don't mention which line you will be cruising with. We were on HAL and I brought my laptop and used the WIFI option. I did a download of incomming and outgoing emails twice a day, early AM and Late PM. Mostly to keep in touch with kids ( 1 was in college and another HS) and sitter ("keeping an eye on HS DD and watching 11yo DS).

Don't bother buying an international calling card at home though. Buy one in each port instead. Most of the international calling cards sold in the US are only good for calling FROM the US and not to the US.

Archived