Totally Frustrated by TripMate

PepsMom

We purchased insurance through Viking when we booked a river cruise that was to occur this past December.  About 3 weeks before departure, the Omicron variant of COVID started sweeping through Europe.  Many of the destinations we had specifically booked the trip to see -- including most of the Christmas markets -- were closed, Austria was locked down, etc.  There didn't seem to be any point in making the trip.  We decided to cancel under the "Cancel for Any Reason" provision and submitted our claim to TripMate, the carrier, on December 6th, 13 days before the cruise was to begin and 9 days before we were to depart (we had booked a pre-cruise stay in Prague).  The claim was submitted according to published instructions through travelclaimsonline.com.  On December 7th, I received an acknowledgement that the necessary documentation had been received from Viking.  

Since then, I have received NO other communication whatsoever.  I have called several times; their greeting indicates that they "strive" to have claims handled within 30 days, and that the progress of your claim can be checked online.  53 days later, no one has returned my call, and there are no status updates online.  The last time I called (two weeks ago), I was told that the claim was being assigned to someone else because it had languished for more than 30 days.  Additionally, I was told that the assignment would not be completed until February 9th, after which it would be another 30 days before a determination is made.

How is this acceptable?  Is there anything we can do?  Should I contact Viking and complain?  

Thanks in advance.

Insurance purchased through Viking has two parts. The first part is a cancel for any reason provided by Viking itself. The remedy for this is a voucher or to use Viking‘s cancellation policy. In your case since you canceled for nine days prior to the leaving Vikings cancellation policy would charge you 100%. Therefore your only remedy under that portion would be a future cruise voucher for the amount that you paid.

The second part is provided by an insurance company and is a cancellation for specified reasons. Unless you were quarantined and had a doctors certificate that policy would not apply . It may be the tripmate has not returned your call since this policy does not apply to your circumstances. All of the above is only my reading of the policy and is not a official statement from Viking or Tripmate. You might call Viking and get a more responsive answer. 

Tripmate_Travel_Protection.pdf

• Like 1

Peps 

5 hours ago, PepsMom said:

We purchased insurance through Viking when we booked a river cruise that was to occur this past December.  About 3 weeks before departure, the Omicron variant of COVID started sweeping through Europe.  Many of the destinations we had specifically booked the trip to see -- including most of the Christmas markets -- were closed, Austria was locked down, etc.  There didn't seem to be any point in making the trip.  We decided to cancel under the "Cancel for Any Reason" provision and submitted our claim to TripMate, the carrier, on December 6th, 13 days before the cruise was to begin and 9 days before we were to depart (we had booked a pre-cruise stay in Prague).  The claim was submitted according to published instructions through travelclaimsonline.com.  On December 7th, I received an acknowledgement that the necessary documentation had been received from Viking.  

Since then, I have received NO other communication whatsoever.  I have called several times; their greeting indicates that they "strive" to have claims handled within 30 days, and that the progress of your claim can be checked online.  53 days later, no one has returned my call, and there are no status updates online.  The last time I called (two weeks ago), I was told that the claim was being assigned to someone else because it had languished for more than 30 days.  Additionally, I was told that the assignment would not be completed until February 9th, after which it would be another 30 days before a determination is made.

How is this acceptable?  Is there anything we can do?  Should I contact Viking and complain?  

Thanks in advance.

We had insurance the same as you, but for a Vantage cruise.  Purchased cancel for any reason, and cancelled during time Vantage should have refunded 30%.  Vantage refused as they apparently changed cancellation policy after we booked.  Insurance was only option.  We met all requirements of insurance with TripMate/Allianz, however, they refuse to refund anything. Paid extra to have cancel for any reason Have been trying for 6 months.Would not even refund $ paid for air, even tho Lufthansa said they refunded the ticket.  What a scam.  Will never purchase insurance again unless have it in writing guarantying we can cancel if COVID rears up.  Ours was to Germany and CDC said only essential travel and we had letter from our Doctor saying my husband should not go.  Arggggg!  Short of hiring a lawyer, no other recourse.  So goodbye $23,000.