Advice please.. Grand Turk vs Amber Cove

Produce123

Hello there. Trying to decide between two cruises this November out of Miami. 

the difference being between a cruise with Grand Turk over one with Amber Cove. 

i have read on many forums that Amber Cove is a port that many people just stay on the ship. It has just a fancy pool and not much more desirable. 

Between these two ports, which one has better beaches and perhaps more to explore? For me and my girlfriend. Both in our fourties’. 

thanks for any tips 

We were on a cruise in December that stopped at both.  If you want the better beach, its Grand Turk, no question. Its *right* off the pier and is a great beach. The water wasn't very blue or clear but the sand was smooth and the water was so easy to walk in/out and around in. Chairs were plentiful.  There's also a neat NASA exhibit, a pool, and some stores right there.

Amber Cove is sort of an artificially created/private area.  We walked around a little but did a shore excursion of horseback riding along the beach (which was a lot of fun). I didn't actually see the pool there so can't comment on it, but I've heard that any beach requires a shore excursion or private transportation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LarryCruiser said:

We were on a cruise in December that stopped at both.  If you want the better beach, its Grand Turk, no question. Its *right* off the pier and is a great beach. The water wasn't very blue or clear but the sand was smooth and the water was so easy to walk in/out and around in. Chairs were plentiful.  There's also a neat NASA exhibit, a pool, and some stores right there.

Amber Cove is sort of an artificially created/private area.  We walked around a little but did a shore excursion of horseback riding along the beach (which was a lot of fun). I didn't actually see the pool there so can't comment on it, but I've heard that any beach requires a shore excursion or private transportation.

Thanks for this valuable info 👍🏽

• 2 months later...

I know this is an older post, but in case you're still wondering about things to do at either port.... we also took a cruise that contains both of these ports of call.  Grand Turk was stunning, the waters on the beach weren't super clear, but we hired a boat from the beach to take us out snorkeling and those waters were some of the clearest I've ever seen.  Really a beautiful beach and the snorkeling was great with clear views.  Amber Cove we hired a taxi and went to 27 Waterfalls, a park inland just a bit.  I don't remember how long of a drive or how much it cost, but it wasn't too bad.  At the park you hire a guide who will take you on however many of the waterfalls you'd like to see.  This trip has been one of our favorite sites of all time.  You hike up the mountain side via trails (not too strenuous) and then get to slide down, jump off of, and swim down the waterfalls to where you started from.  At the end is a small restaurant where we had lunch, then grabbed a cab back to the ship.  Both days were incredible and are memories we still talk about.  Hope these ideas help!

*Edit, my husband and I were about 37 at the time of our trip, 40s now, and would still be able to do both of these.

Edited by Liverbug
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2022 at 7:34 AM, Liverbug said:

I know this is an older post, but in case you're still wondering about things to do at either port.... we also took a cruise that contains both of these ports of call.  Grand Turk was stunning, the waters on the beach weren't super clear, but we hired a boat from the beach to take us out snorkeling and those waters were some of the clearest I've ever seen.  Really a beautiful beach and the snorkeling was great with clear views.  Amber Cove we hired a taxi and went to 27 Waterfalls, a park inland just a bit.  I don't remember how long of a drive or how much it cost, but it wasn't too bad.  At the park you hire a guide who will take you on however many of the waterfalls you'd like to see.  This trip has been one of our favorite sites of all time.  You hike up the mountain side via trails (not too strenuous) and then get to slide down, jump off of, and swim down the waterfalls to where you started from.  At the end is a small restaurant where we had lunch, then grabbed a cab back to the ship.  Both days were incredible and are memories we still talk about.  Hope these ideas help!

*Edit, my husband and I were about 37 at the time of our trip, 40s now, and would still be able to do both of these.

Thank you so much. Very helpful! I appreciate your time and message. 

• 1 month later...

The posts are correct about Grand Turk being a beach.  However, Amber Cove has a fantastic FREE pool.  Clean.  Restrooms.  Food & drinks to purchase.  Kids splash area.  Zip line.  Big slide.  Lifeguards.  Free beach chair use; and some shade.  I love Amber Cove.  Amber Cove's pool is similar to the pool on CocoCay.

• 5 months later...

I have been to both several times.  I enjoy the pool resort area at Amber Cove as it is very relaxing, clean and not as crowded as the pool deck on the ship.  Several years ago I paid $20 (cash) for an umbrella so my easily burned DH would have some shade all day. 

On 5/21/2022 at 8:21 PM, WiscGram said:

The posts are correct about Grand Turk being a beach.  However, Amber Cove has a fantastic FREE pool.  Clean.  Restrooms.  Food & drinks to purchase.  Kids splash area.  Zip line.  Big slide.  Lifeguards.  Free beach chair use; and some shade.  I love Amber Cove.  Amber Cove's pool is similar to the pool on CocoCay.

When I was last at Grand Turk the pool there was free as well.  Don't recall a splash area, slide or zip line, but it was a nice pool.