Review - Zenith 2/16-20

georgiagul

This was a cruise of 9 long time friends so we really didn't seek onboard entertainment. Many have cruised before.

Ship - While she is older, she is in great shape. The rooms could use some freshing up and the chairs in the dining room and some lounges were not the most comfortable.

Service - We felt the service was top rate. Pool butlers were always there, dining room great, and buffet service was a-one.

Food - This is where we were dissapointed especially in the dining room. Not much flavor in any of the dishes. Our group pretty much had everything on the menu each night and I even had two appetizers (not much for soups). The best food we thought was the sushi bar and breakfast.

Entertainment - The only show we attended was the Illusionist and he was fantastic! The band in the Rainbow Room and at the pool was pretty bad. The were even lip syncing! We found the DJ at the Rainbow Room to do a fantastic job. Also, at the pool, when the band wasn't playing, X played some sort of elevator music. My DH even asked if they could play something but it was X policy.....blah blah blah!

Ports - Key West was a couple of Bloody Mary's at Sloppy Joes and Fat Tuesdays, then some shopping for t-shirt, Kino Sandles, and cigars then back on the boat. In Coz, we took a taxi (9 of us charged $5 each) to Paradise Beach. It was fine. The taxi cab driver told us Uvas had no more sand and PB was much better. I really wonder.....he gave us brochures and stickers for PB. I think they are in business together. San Francisco beach was basically deserted. BUT, there were only two cruise ships in port. After the beach, to Carlos and Charlies. Then on the boat.

The tender process in Coz was a real pain. We were in line at 10:30 to get tender tickets and didn't get off the boat until 1:00. There were some pretty high swells that they said kept the tender boats from operating. All the time while waiting we watch RCI tender away. So, we missed about 2 hours of beach/port time.

Any question, just ask! All in all, we had a fabulous time.

Thanks for your review. What deck was your cabin on and was it refurbished with new rugs/bedspreads? How was the weather in general?

We were on Zenith twice last summer and I don't remember elevator music at the pool. I do remember after the band stopped playing they did play 60's - 70's music and Motown. It was fine for us but perhaps we are older than you and your group.

Food is such a subjective topic. We very much enjoyed the food on Zenith last summer and I especially enjoyed the soups and all the appetizers and the rack of lamb. Of course, everyone has different ideas of what their food should taste like.

Glad to hear you had good service. Who were your servers in the dining room?

We're glad you enjoyed the cruise (other than the food), and look forward to our 5/13 cruise.

As for the food, there's a recent thread about how disappointing it has become. I posted on that thread yesterday. Last night I discussed my memories of the food on our 2003 Horizon cruise with my DW, Joan, who hadn't seen my post; and her comments were the same as mine. The rest of the X experience makes up for the food. Joe

The music was definatly elevator. We are all in our 40's-50's and would have loved some 60s, 70s, and motown.

We were in room 4100 and it had not been refurbished. Nor had the others in our group who were nearby.

The weather was wonderful the entire trip. The seas were a little high which made for lots of movement. But, by the time we left KW, they seemed to have calmed down.

We were at table 77 and our server was Mr. Z from Croatia. Can't remember the spelling of his name. His assistant was Santana. Both were excellent!

We loved our pool butler, Hari.... from Bali. He was johnny on the spot with our 'buckets'.

Thanks for your response Georgiagul. My guess is they haven't gotten to the Florida deck yet with the refurbishment project. Sorry you were subject to elevator music. Wonder why X changed their policy. I used to enjoy lounging by the pool in the late afternoons when it was quiet and listening to the "oldies" ;) .

It sounds like you all had a good time in spite of everything. Thanks again.

Archived