UDP questions - Independence of the Seas

megs193

I just booked the ultimate dining plan on my upcoming Independence of the Seas cruise but I have a few questions.

1. How do I book my reservations?  Can I do it on the app once I am on their internet or do I need to go somewhere once I board the ship?

2. If we eat at Izumi does the dining plan cover the $34.99 price fix meal?

3. Can we eat at playmakers multiple times and get the $20 per person each day?

4. Are Johnny Rockets and/or fish chips included?

We weren’t planning on getting the dining plan so I haven’t been paying attention to the threads about them so TIA for the help!

I'll do my best to answer but others may do a better job.  

1 hour ago, megs193 said:

I just booked the ultimate dining plan on my upcoming Independence of the Seas cruise but I have a few questions.

1. How do I book my reservations?  Can I do it on the app once I am on their internet or do I need to go somewhere once I board the ship?  Yes, you should be able to book via the app once on board.  But, I would recommend visiting one of the specialty dining restaurants right after boarding to make all your dinner reservations for the cruise.  We have always done this in the past, but it has been on Oasis class which is more crowded.  We will have the UDB on Independence in Sept.

2. If we eat at Izumi does the dining plan cover the $34.99 price fix meal?  UDP covers the cost of the meal but you will probably be charged an additional $10 upcharge if you do hibachi.  I'm not sure if the same upcharge is applied for the sushi menu.

3. Can we eat at playmakers multiple times and get the $20 per person each day?  The a la carte restaurants like Playmakers and Fish and Ships are $20 per person as you state.  What I'm not sure is if it's limited to per day or per visit.  My understanding is unlimited is supposed to be that.  So, you should be able to go to Playmakers for lunch and dinner and each would have the $20 applicable.

4. Are Johnny Rockets and/or fish chips included?  Johnny Rockets is included, at least it has been on Oasis class.

We weren’t planning on getting the dining plan so I haven’t been paying attention to the threads about them so TIA for the help!

Maybe others who have more experience with UDB can chime in.  We weren't going to get it for the Independence cruise but they had a good sale.  DH loves the burgers in Playmakers and we both enjoy Izumi hibachi.  Enjoy your cruise!  :classic_smile:

• Like 1

We recently had UDP on Jewel (December)…

1. We went to Chops to make our reservations as soon as we boarded. We could NOT book ahead of time. 
2. Yes. Did this at both Lunch and Dinner.

3&4… can’t answer as Jewel had limited options. 

overall we did like the UDP and would do it again for the right price. 

Hi, the spending limit for playmakers and Izumi is per visit.

So if you have the UDP you can visit the specialty more than once. 

Johnny Rockets is included in the UDP, I can’t answer about the fish and chips place.

When you get connected to the ships Wi-Fi open the app under dining and it should list all the places to eat and if they are included in the UDP.

I am only doing speciality dining on my trip, not planning to eat in the MDR.

Edited by Maitaivegas

16 minutes ago, ampurp85 said:

FYI the prefix meal is not included with UDP. It's a $35 credit. There is a difference. The prefix meal is $39.99 plus gratuity on the smaller ships it seems. 

On Jewel it was 34.99 and definitely was included. And quite tasty. All 4 times we went. 

On 1/30/2022 at 7:48 PM, killsport said:

On Jewel it was 34.99 and definitely was included. And quite tasty. All 4 times we went. 

Well Jewel isn't Independence.

Not saying Izumi isn't included but that it's a credit and not the prefix meal. 

On 1/30/2022 at 8:05 PM, killsport said:

We recently had UDP on Jewel (December)…

1. We went to Chops to make our reservations as soon as we boarded. We could NOT book ahead of time. 
2. Yes. Did this at both Lunch and Dinner.

3&4… can’t answer as Jewel had limited options. 

overall we did like the UDP and would do it again for the right price. 

Was Chops or Giovanni's open for lunch on embarkation day? 

I have UDP on my upcoming Brilliance cruise which I believe is same size as Jewel and am wondering what specialty lunch options you had upon boarding.

On Jewel, neither Chops nor Giovanni's was open for dining at lunch on embarkation day. They were open to make reservations. I don't know if Izumi was open for embarkation lunch - we were UDP newbies so didn't really know how lunches worked. We ate at Windjammer.

• Thanks 1

We usually get the UDP, but have never had an embarkation lunch.  Is it included?  

On Navigator, we went to Playmakers on a port day to watch football and have lunch.  There was no charge and was evidently included in the UDP.

Never been charged overaged at Izumi.  I just oder what I want and never an issue