Giving "tip" to get better room

BeckyA1979

I was told recently by someone who has stayed in a hotel the night before a cruise that when you approach the clerk to check in to put a $20 on the counter and not say anything. ;) When they assign you your rooms they will be more likely to give you a port view room, for example rather than a room on the other side of the hotel, and then you give them the "tip". If they don't you give them a little hint and see if they will do anything for you then. Has anyone ever done this? I will be going in off season and as long as there isn't anything big going on where the hotels are pretty much booked up I would like to get a port view room at the hotel I stay in. Has anyone ever heard of this, tried it? Just curious to hear from other people.

Thanks!

B

While it works in Vegas, most hotels discourage this practice to the point of dismissal.

I think you would have better luck by upgrading or asking politely if you can be upgraded.

It also depends on the time of year (peak or slow season) and day of the week as to whether or not you will be upgraded.

While it works in Vegas, most hotels discourage this practice to the point of dismissal.

I think you would have better luck by upgrading or asking politely if you can be upgraded.

It also depends on the time of year (peak or slow season) and day of the week as to whether or not you will be upgraded.

I have to agree. You may want to put in your request for a portview room when you make your reservation. That way the hotel is aware of your preference before you arrive. Some hotels pre-block rooms before your arrival. If they don't know you are looking for a certain view they will most likely give you what you booked regardless of how many empty rooms there are.

Just my opinion.

mcboo

If you have an anniversary or special birthday, let them know when you make a reservation, and mention it again when you are checking in. You may get a better room, and we have even had "treats" sent up to the room.

Sea-hawk

Archived