Any recent Independence cruisers?

movierev

Anyone recently cruise on the Indy?  We've got our cruise coming up at the end of the month and haven't seen any recent reviews or info on the boards. Have a few questions...

How is the ship condition? 

Are the shows back up and running (Grease)? 

How was the food, specifically the specialty restaurants?  

Any idea what capacity the ship is sailing at?

Was the mask mandate being enforced?

Are the reservations for entertainment and specialty restaurants quickly booked on the first day?

I know some of this is varies from week to week, but curious what recent cruisers experience has been.

1 hour ago, movierev said:

Anyone recently cruise on the Indy?  We've got our cruise coming up at the end of the month and haven't seen any recent reviews or info on the boards. Have a few questions...

Are the reservations for entertainment and specialty restaurants quickly booked on the first day?

I know some of this is varies from week to week, but curious what recent cruisers experience has been.

Not sure how recent you are wanting but we were on Indy for the 9 night out of Galveston in Oct. Ship is in great shape! All shows were up and running, reservations easily made/changed throughout the week (im sure low capacity made making reservations easy), cannot remember exact capacity, definately less than 50%. We ate at Chops, Giovanni's, & Playmakers, all very good.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your cruise!

Just got off her yesterday .... 

GREAT!  No complaints at all, constantly cleaning, room was in good condition and zero complaints.  Overall great ship and sailing her again next month. 

Grease was up and running (didn't go, but heard the announcements)

Chops -  great food, service was a little slow (but attentive), but I think they are struggling with staff

Izumi - great food and service

Johnny Rockets - Skip this one... service slow (they appear to be short staffed and food was "meh" at best.

Playmakers - Grabbed snacks a couple of times here, food and service were quick and great. 

2400 on our sailing.

yes,

"prime" time for restaurants booked quickly, but could always get something.  couldn't tell you about shows.  

Masks are required inside as stated in the current requirements to board and onboard from Royal. Everything was pretty much the same except less capacity at about 2300 +/- last weekend. I didn't ask about the final number that board once we left port. Grease and the ice show both were operating. Capacity should be increasing quicky I would think this month. 

Sailed on Indy the end of December. Capacity was low, maybe 50%. The ship was clean and there were always lots of staff members around disinfecting and wiping things down. Mask enforcement was pretty good, we wore them at all indoor venues, except when eating/drinking. We saw the Grease show and it was fantastic. There were only a couple of showings for Grease, so you should jump on making reservations for it. We used the RC app to book the show immediately when we got on board.

My only disappointment was that I couldn’t seem to get a good tasting mixed drink! I tried mojitos, Moscow Mules, a couple of frozen drinks too. All were weak, watery and just poorly made. I’m not a big drinker, so it didn’t matter that much to me. I’m sure other people have had better experiences. I hope you have an amazing time!

Thanks for the info!  We've not been on a cruise since 2019 and are REALLY looking forward to getting back on the ship.  We have another couple with us who have never cruised and are hoping the cruise experience post Covid matches up with the hype we have given them from our previous cruises.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, movierev said:

How is the ship condition?   On Indy right now. Ship condition is great. Nothing looks too dated. 

Are the shows back up and running (Grease)? Ice show is scheduled for tonight and grease for Thursday

How was the food, specifically the specialty restaurants? Food in specialty restaurants is amazing, better than Oasis in September.  

Any idea what capacity the ship is sailing at?  Our sailing is at 2333 (50%)

Was the mask mandate being enforced?  Most people that I saw were wearing them. I didn’t see anyone yelled at. 

Are the reservations for entertainment and specialty restaurants quickly booked on the first day?   I had no problem booking ice show late first day or booking 6 pm reservations first day. Specialty dining has not seemed full

On 2/7/2022 at 8:52 PM, movierev said:

Anyone recently cruise on the Indy?  Sailed in January 2022. We've got our cruise coming up at the end of the month and haven't seen any recent reviews or info on the boards. Have a few questions...

How is the ship condition? Good condition. Everything was super clean. The suite lounge looked a little worn, but overall, I think it looked good. 

Are the shows back up and running (Grease)? I think so, but we didn't attend any.

How was the food, specifically the specialty restaurants?  We had the Unlimited Dining Package, ad we were very happy with Chops. We repeated the crab cake appetizer and petite filet (sides -"tater tots," asparagus, mashed potatoes were all good), and also enjoyed the Caesar salad with chicken. Giovanni's was just OK - if you have good Italian restaurants back at home, skip Giovanni's. We also liked Playmakers - the wings were nice and spicy, the onion ring tower was crispy, and the cookie skillet dessert was the best dessert we had on the trip.

Any idea what capacity the ship is sailing at? 1,400 guests, just about the same amount of crew.

Was the mask mandate being enforced? Yes.

Are the reservations for entertainment and specialty restaurants quickly booked on the first day? We didn't have a problem booking our specialty restaurants, and we didn't do any entertainment reservations.