Onboard Credits from TA

Littlemiah

I was told by my travel agent that they'll give us some onboard credits but won't know the amount until it's closer to the cruise date. Can someone give me a rough idea of how much you approximately get for a 7 day cruise if you booked the Haven for NCL cruise? Thank you.

16 minutes ago, Littlemiah said:

I was told by my travel agent that they'll give us some onboard credits but won't know the amount until it's closer to the cruise date. Can someone give me a rough idea of how much you approximately get for a 7 day cruise if you booked the Haven for NCL cruise? Thank you.

Not an easy question to answer.

Where’s the TA getting the “onboard credit” (more accurately referred to as “shipboard” credit [SBC])?

Some cruise lines provide TAs with “pass through” incentive funds that can be used to provide customers with non-refundable SBC and/or cover the cost of gratuities et al. Likewise, a TA’s consortium membership may provide similar incentives. Beyond that, some TA’s will share commissions in the form of refundable SBC or as a cash rebate. Of course, none of this should be confused with any perks built into the fare. (Sadly, some unscrupulous TAs will suggest that they are providing what anyone booking direct with the line would get from that line).

There is usually some mechanism whereby a good TA can cover, at least, your gratuities without it coming out of their pocket. 
Noneless, whatever of these pass-through $ may be coming your way, you really want to find a TA who provides great service, does a lot of business with your preferred line and (beyond any “pass through” $) shares commissions at somewhere between 5-10% of the commissionable fare.

Needless to say, longer, “expensive” cruises can net you a couple of thousand +\- dollars in commission sharing. For a week, don’t expect much from a mass market line (even when you are booking their ship w/i a ship cabins).

BTW, I gotta ask: If you’re looking at the Haven on NCL, why not also price it’s premium/luxury family members Oceania and Regent? You may be very surprised at the value with the “real thing.”

Finally, the TA saying “later” on the SBC amount could be that they’re waiting to see whether the cruise line or TA consortium will provide any “pass through” $ or (worst case scenario) the TA is waiting to get paid. 

• Thanks 1