Accessible Cabins Re Classed on Iona.

hollyjess

9 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

And vice versa. 

It is important that good experiences are shared as well as bad to help us make decisions about our future cruising, which is why most of us come here. 

I am so sorry you had such a bad experience, nobody should be treated like that and I would be calling out the staff if I witnessed it. 

Take care. 

Andy 

I see the point you are making but the Review Page or if someone ask's for opinion on a Ship or specific part of ship  is where people should comment on there own views NOT when people put a comment on there own experiences.

People have replied i should go with a companion WHY cause there the companion for there Partner, so what does that tell anyone like myself or anyone with a Disability wanting to travel on there own that Wheelchair Friendly means 'with a helper'.

Sorry i would never make a comment about anyone's experiences be them good or bad except my own and comment the opposite from them.

Happy Cruising.

• Like 2

Just now, Cpt Pugwash said:

I see the point you are making but the Review Page or if someone ask's for opinion on a Ship or specific part of ship  is where people should comment on there own views NOT when people put a comment on there own experiences.

People have replied i should go with a companion WHY cause there the companion for there Partner, so what does that tell anyone like myself or anyone with a Disability wanting to travel on there own that Wheelchair Friendly means 'with a helper'.

Sorry i would never make a comment about anyone's experiences be them good or bad except my own and comment the opposite from them.

Happy Cruising.

Fair point, no intention to offend. 

Andy 

12 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Fair point, no intention to offend. 

Andy 

No offence taken but have also noticed on this site when people ask for advice on a certain subject people like to add there 'tuppence worth' some of which is total rubbish or what they personally do nothing else, my way of doing things may not suit others but so many people think that there way is the best way for everyone Disabled or Not.

Like a Gentleman was asking about his Wife who could walk short distances like me but he she worried about having to stand in queues i suggested he look at Mobility as Sea to see if they did anything that would help like i did when hiring a Wheelchair for my trip on Britannia then someone posts 'just ask for one at reception desk and they will give you one to use on the ship' total utter rubbish.

Can you imagine someone with any kind of Mobility Issue reading that then finding out P&O do not lend any kind of Mobility Equipment to be used on board.

Wouldn't be a very good start to there holiday..

Take Care

Happy Cruising

Take Care

Happy Cruising.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

Happy Cruising.

As a carer whose wife uses a wheelchair, it is clear to me that all P&O ships are wheelchair friendly, and the newer ones are very wheelchair friendly. However  both my wife and I know that despite that she could not cope on her own.

It is up to the individual to assess their own capabilities and to be realistically honest as to whether they can cope on a cruise ship without any assistance, and if not they need to decide if it is worth the risk of it ruining their holiday.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

As a carer whose wife uses a wheelchair, it is clear to me that all P&O ships are wheelchair friendly, and the newer ones are very wheelchair friendly. However  both my wife and I know that despite that she could not cope on her own.

It is up to the individual to assess their own capabilities and to be realistically honest as to whether they can cope on a cruise ship without any assistance, and if not they need to decide if it is worth the risk of it ruining their holiday.

You see P&O ships as Wheelchair Friendly from a Carer Side NOT a Disabled Person Side i would Never do anything that would be too hard for me to do but like a lot of people with Disabilities Luke myself try to be as independent as much as possible.

Yes there is things i need help with, there is things people offer me help with that i don't but i politely reply Thank You for the offer but i try to do as much as i can for myself.    

Go ask any Wheelchair user ir they have ever had to go through 2 doors with Automatic Closers on the to enter a Disabled Toilet and if not would it be OK for them but i already know the answer.

The REAL experts on anyone living with any condition is those with a condition NOT there Helpers/Carers as spent many years Volunteering with people with many Life Limiting Conditions.

Maybe you should spend a day using a Wheelchair to see what it is really like, just like they did years ago on that Big Brother when they had a Blind Guy on and the Housemates were talking how much he slept they made all the other Housemates wear Blindfolds for a couple of hours to see how tiring the condition it really is.

My Consultant at the Hospital Praised me to the Junior Doctors about my determination to do as much for myself as i could if i see hime again i will tell him he is wrong.

P.S Google the name Cor Hutton where there is numerous articles and videos to see what is achievable with No Hands and No Legs with determination.

So that's me told folks i cant go cruising ever again without a helper. (Remember my comment in earlier post about people saying there is only 1 way there way.)

'Note to self' I must never post a opinion which will be of use to anyone travelling as a Solo Passenger of my own experiences which say's anything is not good because all those people who have never been in the same position say they have no problem with it.

They Know Best.

Good Luck to anyone thinking about travelling as a Solo Passengers with a Wheelchair as you can see by the comments on this thread.

THEY will tell you what you can and can't do you WON'T decide for yourself

Ignore my experiences other's know better. 

Goodbye &

Happy Cruising.

2 hours ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

You see P&O ships as Wheelchair Friendly from a Carer Side NOT a Disabled Person Side i would Never do anything that would be too hard for me to do but like a lot of people with Disabilities Luke myself try to be as independent as much as possible.

Yes there is things i need help with, there is things people offer me help with that i don't but i politely reply Thank You for the offer but i try to do as much as i can for myself.    

Go ask any Wheelchair user ir they have ever had to go through 2 doors with Automatic Closers on the to enter a Disabled Toilet and if not would it be OK for them but i already know the answer.

The REAL experts on anyone living with any condition is those with a condition NOT there Helpers/Carers as spent many years Volunteering with people with many Life Limiting Conditions.

Maybe you should spend a day using a Wheelchair to see what it is really like, just like they did years ago on that Big Brother when they had a Blind Guy on and the Housemates were talking how much he slept they made all the other Housemates wear Blindfolds for a couple of hours to see how tiring the condition it really is.

My Consultant at the Hospital Praised me to the Junior Doctors about my determination to do as much for myself as i could if i see hime again i will tell him he is wrong.

P.S Google the name Cor Hutton where there is numerous articles and videos to see what is achievable with No Hands and No Legs with determination.

So that's me told folks i cant go cruising ever again without a helper. (Remember my comment in earlier post about people saying there is only 1 way there way.)

I recently cruised on Arvia and made friends with a lovely man who was a recent amputee having lost his leg due to diabetes. Like yourself he travelled alone preferring his independence.  Apart from some difficulties with health and safety who tried to stop.him boarding and put him through some sort of obstacle course to prove his ability he told me he was managing quite well.  He too was surprised at the lack of assistance from anyone other than passengers in the buffet so he took the decision soon after boarding to use MDR and the speciality restaurants to avoid the problems with trying to juggle tea and things while using his crutch.  He did not use a rollator or anything onboard apart from his crutch  and had a balcony adapted cabin which was apparently very well equipped for his needs.

He liked a nice cup of tea and we used to meet at 4.00pm in the atrium and buy a Teapig tea and a cake as it was served to him by a waiter, no juggling involved.

Many of the things you mention are in line with his comments so I do understand how it could be awkward if information provided by P&O is inaccurate or not fully explained or described

I am sorry you feel people in general have not been fully understanding of your difficulties.  Having someone constantly tell.you that your view and your opinion is wrong or answering a point with a question is very annoying but hopefully not intended to cause anger or distress and I'm very sorry you've found that a problem.

Unfortunately open forums will draw comment from people who do not understand individual challenges on ships as they have no experience of them but reading the CC boards in general it is hopefully not just on the P&O section.  As I said previously your experience is important in helping others and P&O ensure where things can be adjusted they should be. I do hope you chase up P&O and contact ABTA if they still do.not respond.

Good luck in your endeavour to get your opinions heard by others. 

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I recently cruised on Arvia and made friends with a lovely man who was a recent amputee having lost his leg due to diabetes. Like yourself he travelled alone preferring his independence.  Apart from some difficulties with health and safety who tried to stop.him boarding and put him through some sort of obstacle course to prove his ability he told me he was managing quite well.  He too was surprised at the lack of assistance from anyone other than passengers in the buffet so he took the decision soon after boarding to use MDR and the speciality restaurants to avoid the problems with trying to juggle tea and things while using his crutch.  He did not use a rollator or anything onboard apart from his crutch  and had a balcony adapted cabin which was apparently very well equipped for his needs.

He liked a nice cup of tea and we used to meet at 4.00pm in the atrium and buy a Teapig tea and a cake as it was served to him by a waiter, no juggling involved.

Many of the things you mention are in line with his comments so I do understand how it could be awkward if information provided by P&O is inaccurate or not fully explained or described

I am sorry you feel people in general have not been fully understanding of your difficulties.  Having someone constantly tell.you that your view and your opinion is wrong or answering a point with a question is very annoying but hopefully not intended to cause anger or distress and I'm very sorry you've found that a problem.

Unfortunately open forums will draw comment from people who do not understand individual challenges on ships as they have no experience of them but reading the CC boards in general it is hopefully not just on the P&O section.  As I said previously your experience is important in helping others and P&O ensure where things can be adjusted they should be. I do hope you chase up P&O and contact ABTA if they still do.not respond.

Good luck in your endeavour to get your opinions heard by others. 

Thank You for your nice post and understanding where i was coming from and learning from someone who is in a position where you have never been yourself.

There ARE a lot of Honest Decent People out there who will help others when needed but as you say open forums gives people the chance who know nothing about what someone is talking about the chance to put there as i call ii 'there tuppence worth in'.

This fir me is the last Social Media i will be using because everywhere you have people trying to make out they know what you are talking about when they don't have a clue.

Take Care &

Thank You.

P.S A free bit of info for those that like to put there 'tuppence worth' in on subjects like having a Leg Amputated but don't have a clue, there are 2 types of Leg Amputations 1 Above Knee. 2 Below Knee.

The second o e being easier to learn to walk with as you still have a knee to bend your leg, the first is a lot harder as the leg is Amputated above knee so the Prosthetic Leg is locked into place straight when walking as i have. 

So if you are one of these people who like to put there 'tuppence worth' in on a subject you know nothing about remember this one simple fact before commenting on anything to do with anyone having a Leg Amputated. 

As in summing up folks this site is asuppose to be about info on P&O Cruises so yoiu can take my advice being in the position myself with the difficulties facing a Solo Wheelchair user which if you look at the specific places i mention would be difficult for any solo traveller with any type of Mobility Problem if you think about it or you can take the advice of Able Bodied Helpers  who think ''Wheelchair Friendly'' means 'with a helper thus limiting Access to Solo Wheelchair Users/.

Your choice but if you struggle you know where to look ad it is Not to P&O as you can see they have Ignored my Complaint for 6 weeks and don;t expect to hear from them..

Right i'm off to my local Morrison s where they know the Real meaning of Wheelchair Friendly where i use my Rollator round the whole shop, where if i wish to use the Disabled Toilet i only have to open 1 door with No Automatic Closer on it.

A place where Wheelchair Accessible does NOT mean with a Helper/Carer.

Be as independent as you can be don't listen to people who say do as they do when the Disabled Facilities are not mas they are made out to be because they obviously think they know everything about everyone's Mobility Difficulties.

Pushing someone in a Wheelchair think it makes them experts on Mobility Issues yours mine, everyone's though they do not have one themselves.

And for anyone not knowing about the difficulties faced by anyone with any kind of Mobility Issue if interested lie Megabear 2 says above he 'listened' to a gentleman who recently had his Leg Amputated NOT the people that like to put there 'Tuppence Worth' in'.

As i said Nobody knows what it is like to live with any life changing condition unless they have themselves, they think they do but don;t have a clue in reality.

Happy Cruising.